Sponsored

Removing vinyl racing stripe from 2019 GT350

bplow33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350
Hi all, appologies if this has already been answered but I couldn't seem to find any members here that attempted this on a fairly newer mustang. I've found some articles and YouTube videos of people trying this on older mustangs but I just want to make sure the process is the same and there isn't some sort of coating over the vinyl after installation from the factory I have to be worried about. I have a 2019 Ford Mustang Shelby GT350 in Shadow Black with a Blue Racing stripe. I bought this used so I didn't have any influence on the stripe at the time the vehicle was being configured from the factory but I'm just not a huge fan of the color scheme having a blue stripe down the middle with the shadow black color. I'm looking to remove the stripe entirely to have a bit of a cleaner look. From what I understand, I should be able to use a heat gun at the lowest setting and just slowly peel back the vinyl. Has anyone here attempted this without any issues? In the event that the colors may seem off due to weathering or seasons that have past does anyone have any advice how I could "buff" that out? I was thinking of maybe going the clay bar route on the lightest bar I can find and see if that would help without polishing. If not then I'd probably have to go to a heavier clay bar and polish afterwards.

Also, in case some glue residue is left behind does anyone have a product they would recommend? I was thinking of just using Goo Gone but if someone has better experience with something else I'd be glad to hear about it.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!
Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Here's a recent thread in the MACh 1 sub-forum about removing stripes/decals if it's helpful:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/no-stripes-no-emblems-claps.159353/

---
Since you purchased the car used, it's hard for any of us to say if there is a coating over your stripes. Factory applied or aftermarket applied vinyl stripes should be removable with a heat gun or after the car has sat in very warm weather. If the previous owner had any type of PPF coating done to the car, hopefully they didn't do it over the stripes.

---

If glue or residue is left behind, WD40 will safely and effectively remove such residue and does not harm clear coated or painted surfaces. If you're leery about this, try it in an inconspicuous spot like inside the trunk on trunk floor to see it's totally safe to do. Spray a little WD40 onto the surface with the residue, spray a little on a micro fiber towel and gently rub the surface which should dissolve the residue. Wash and wax/polish the area afterward.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
If you’re unsure find a local vinyl shop. They’ll have the tools and adhesive remove to correctly do the job. And they usually don’t charge much as it’s typically a quick job. My Gt500 stripes came off in about 10 minutes.

OP
OP
bplow33

bplow33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you’re unsure find a local vinyl shop. They’ll have the tools and adhesive remove to correctly do the job. And they usually don’t charge much as it’s typically a quick job. My Gt500 stripes came off in about 10 minutes.
Thanks Evolvd, I did contact a local shop which wanted about $400. I personally think that's a bit steep just to remove vinyl which is why I figured I'd give this a go and see if it's something I can just knock out in an hour or so with good results.

Sponsored

OP
OP
bplow33

bplow33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
bplow33

bplow33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Here's a recent thread in the MACh 1 sub-forum about removing stripes/decals if it's helpful:

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/no-stripes-no-emblems-claps.159353/

---
Since you purchased the car used, it's hard for any of us to say if there is a coating over your stripes. Factory applied or aftermarket applied vinyl stripes should be removable with a heat gun or after the car has sat in very warm weather. If the previous owner had any type of PPF coating done to the car, hopefully they didn't do it over the stripes.

---

If glue or residue is left behind, WD40 will safely and effectively remove such residue and does not harm clear coated or painted surfaces. If you're leery about this, try it in an inconspicuous spot like inside the trunk on trunk floor to see it's totally safe to do. Spray a little WD40 onto the surface with the residue, spray a little on a micro fiber towel and gently rub the surface which should dissolve the residue. Wash and wax/polish the area afterward.
Thanks for the advice Cobra, I'll give WD a try and see how it works.

Evolvd

Instigator
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Thanks Evolvd, I did contact a local shop which wanted about $400. I personally think that's a bit steep just to remove vinyl which is why I figured I'd give this a go and see if it's something I can just knock out in an hour or so with good results.
Damn, that’s ridiculous! I paid $75

OP
OP
bplow33

bplow33

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Damn, that’s ridiculous! I paid $75
Yea and from what I understand that doesn't include buffing or polishing either. $75 - $100 would be worth it to me but it's looking like I'm just going to do it myself.
Sponsored