Sponsored

Removing parts from wrecked car

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Long story short, my beloved Guard Green Mustang was totaled Sunday. The good news is there were no injuries. All occupants walked away unscathed.

Allstate has offered me what I think Is a good settlement, however, I would like to remove as many aftermarket parts as possible as their is a slim change they will reimburse me. Now, some of these parts were damaged in the collision, however, multiple items remain that I could potentially install on a new(er) Mustang or even sell. Allstate has stated that I can remove any aftermarket part as long as I replace it with the factory part (or equivalent). However, my problem arises with the towing company. They won't let me unbolt anything in their yard due to liability, which I completely understand.

My question is has anybody successfully navigated anything like this? Were you able to remove parts from a wrecked car?
And if so, how did you go about it? I am willing to sign a hold harmless agreement. I only need 1-2 hours to remove the parts I want. Or were you successfully able to persuade your insurance company to reimburse you for some or all the parts (I have receipts)?

My claims adjuster told me that the car will be moved to their salvage yard where I might possibly try my luck again with removing parts.

Anything will help here, guys. I've never experienced such a violent, tragic event like this so it is all new to me. I just want my parts back that I spent a lot of time and money installing.

On a separate note, I was not successful in unmarrying my tune with my SCTx4 tuner. I am assuming something was damaged in the car that is preventing it. Has anybody been successful in "resetting" their tuner w/o out the car? Can I call SCT? Will they assist?
Sponsored

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang Ecoboost Premium, 2013 Scion tC.
You need to get your insurance company involved, make them tow the car outside the gate and let you take shit off, roll it back in afterwards if they are going to be dickheads.

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Finally, a bit of good news. I found out that SCT will unmarry the tuner from the car for free as long as provide them with either the insurance or police report.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
I don’t see why they won’t let you work on the car, id seriously use the insurance to talk directly

The yard will know it’s official and such. Pay a few bucks tow it outside do it put back in if they tell you no.

Goodluck report back

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I don’t see why they won’t let you work on the car, id seriously use the insurance to talk directly

The yard will know it’s official and such. Pay a few bucks tow it outside do it put back in if they tell you no.

Goodluck report back
It is a liability issue if I get hurt on their property. Like I said, I spoke with my insurance adjuster and he is fine with me removing parts as long as I replace anything I remove (which i can).

Sponsored

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
As an insurance adjuster my self, alot of what we as enthusiasts add to the car does not add value to the car. You bolted on that awesome exhaust to gain a few HP? Great for you but the car has an exhaust from the factory and your modification means nothing. That said, your best bet is to get what you can off of the car. The company i work for has partner shops we can move cars too to A: reduce storage charges while the car is inspected and b: avoid these types of situations with tow lots. Ask all state if they have a partner shop to move the car to.

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
They are moving the car to another facility today. My adjuster suggested i ask this new facility if they would be fine with me removing parts. I am hoping they are a bit more accommodating.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
As an insurance adjuster my self, alot of what we as enthusiasts add to the car does not add value to the car. You bolted on that awesome exhaust to gain a few HP? Great for you but the car has an exhaust from the factory and your modification means nothing. That said, your best bet is to get what you can off of the car. The company i work for has partner shops we can move cars too to A: reduce storage charges while the car is inspected and b: avoid these types of situations with tow lots. Ask all state if they have a partner shop to move the car to.
Sorry to hear of the unfortunate total loss of the OP’s S550.

But, exactly as DmanDmythDlegend stated above is true for those running into such situations where they sunk bucko-bucks into their daily driver with mod after mod. Only after an unfortunate total loss claim is when they find out they can’t recoup any of that $$$ back.

I hope the OP can or will be able to remove his aftermarket parts IF the next facility will let him. They also might have issues with liability concerns on their property.

I’ve said it in prior posts on similar subject matter and will say it again - know and read the fine print as to what your Insurance Policy does NOT cover - this applies to home, auto, life etc... it’s not what IS covered, it’s what is NOT.

The only way a vehicle owner can get reimbursement for modifications OR fair value for a vehicle is IF it was insured an on Agreed Value policy. This means that you and the Insurance Company have agreed on a value to insure the vehicle and that IF in the event of a total loss claim, the payout to you will be that Agreed Value - no more and no less; “book”, “bank” or “ACV” value does not apply at all for an Agreed Value policy. Also if you have an Agreed Value policy, the actual Agreed Value will be present on the Policy Declaration page, period. If an Agreed Value is NOT present on the Policy Declaration page, you’re still SOL.

Do not go by any verbal agreement, any friendly Ins. Agent “handshake” or “he’s been a friend of the family I trust him” when it comes to an Agreed Value. The value to which is agreed upon by both parties HAS to be in writing and will appear on the Policy.

Stated Value is different from Agreed Value as well, so don’t get the terms confused.

Some Policies will cover aftermarket add-ons, but be careful because many will have clauses (ie: fine print) AND some limit the dollar threshold as to what can be recouped IF there is a total loss claim (or some will depreciate the installed parts).

I can’t stress it enough - when you insure ANYTHING, always, always, always read the fine print and know what will NOT be covered... hardly anyone reads the fine print (yes, you know, those many pages you signed or initialed and comes with each policy renewal).

—-

For instance, for those with Collector Cars, I’ve seen it way too often on many forums - guy has a car worth $50k+ after restoration or upgrades - car gets totaled, guy has standard policy on it. Guess what he gets as a payout? Whatever current ACV value is, which excludes any upgraded parts beyond factory and a payout check for far less than half his ‘investment’. Insure such cars with a Collector Car Policy and make it an Agreed Value Policy.

My Cobra is insured on a Collector Car Policy and Agreed Value. Not only does it have an agreed value, but the policy also appreciates the vehicle 2% every Quarter for a total of 8% appreciation each year. This raises the Agreed Value fairly considering the type of vehicle being insured. The policy also has provisions for stored parts associated with the car; I can’t recall the exact figure, but I think it’s within a total of $500-$1k range that if said stored parts are stolen or destroyed by a total loss event to the storage area, they’re covered and I would receive fair reimbursement.

I know how the OP must feel, as I went though a similar situation over 15+ years ago with a prior 87 5.0 notchback I had that was totaled after an idiot blew his red light. The car was not on an Agreed Value policy and I had to fight the Ins. Co. for fair value over ACV by providing local classified ads for a similar notchbacks in excellent condition as well as provide receipts for anything beyond stock parts. I ended up not only getting an excellent payout, but I also bought the car back from the Ins. Co., sold it outright bringing in an additional $3.5k to me on top of the payout.

Shocker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 CO Mustang GT
Years ago when my Lightning was totaled, my agent had my truck towed to my house for a day. I stripped almost everything ($20k+) in parts. Had it picked back up next day.

FreedomPenguin

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donald
Vehicle(s)
So why can’t you be allowed to toss stock stuff back on? If I total my car I am putting my aftermarket on my next mustang. No ones going to tell me no to swapping parts

Sponsored
OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Now I am wishing I had the sheriff's department tow it to my house so I could strip it. Then have my insurance company pick it up from there. I've never been involved in a major collision such as this, so definitely a life lesson.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Most likely the car is going to a branch of insurance auto auctions or copart. In my experience they dont mind things being removed from the car at the location but your adjuster will need to call ahead to give permission.

DmanDmythDlegend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt pp1
Also, you dont generally have to reinstall the stock stuff, as long as its with the car thats usually all that matters, so a little time saved when your getting stuff off the car

OP
OP
CoolRod

CoolRod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
Also, you dont generally have to reinstall the stock stuff, as long as its with the car thats usually all that matters, so a little time saved when your getting stuff off the car
That is good to know, thank you!

DuRsT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 - 2006 GT Convertible
Exactly what I was thinking. I wouldn't waste the time to reinstall items, just make sure it's in the car somehow.
Sponsored