Sponsored

Removing Driver Seat Leather Covers '17 GT Premium

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Looking for some help with instructions on how to remove the leather covers from the 2017 GT Premium heated/cooled seats. I have found out people have taken off the leather covers to access the lumbar support and have it further recess into the seat more so than the fully deflated setting. I would like to try this. Having a tough time finding guides on this. Anyone have any references?
Sponsored

DarkHor$e

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
RaceRed '17 PP Base- Sold!!!
I don't but i can tell you it's gonna be a ditch. Took me 9 full hours to do one seat on my previous Challenger, 7 the other. Have fun..,, lol.

Found this for you though

Look Like fun??? :facepalm:

Last edited:

mikes2017gt

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT Prem M/T 3.55
Dang...that's a lot of finger-breaking work. I would almost rather do my front struts again. Almost. Good luck, OP!

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Video looks like it will be helpful thanks.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Watching it again it doesn't seem that terrible to do what I want to do, which is only access enough of it to get to the lumbar support. I'm not removing the cover on the seat bottom nor fully on the seat back. I am hoping it's not bad.

Sponsored

808muscle

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Premium Whipple, 2006 GT Blown and cammed
Watching it again it doesn't seem that terrible to do what I want to do, which is only access enough of it to get to the lumbar support. I'm not removing the cover on the seat bottom nor fully on the seat back. I am hoping it's not bad.
How did it turn out? I just bought some Katskinz and was researching and saw your post. Were you able to do what you were looking to do?

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
Here is my write up: https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...port-on-gt-premium-seats.110617/#post-2356328

Removing the seat cover from the seat bottom is super easy. The seat back seems like it would be tougher based on videos and write-ups I've seen. I only had to partially roll it up to access the lumbar support.

Disabling the lumbar helped a bit but the seat is still uncomfortable. It feels like I am sitting on the stitching and it causes pressure points on my bottom and lower back. The rear most stitch in the leather of the seat bottom and the lower most stitch in the leather of the seat back. I would love to find covers that do not have stitching throughout the cushion, just one big piece of leather.

daw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Ecoboost
I see I'm not the only one who is bothered by the seat seams. I have the same problem with the seam digging into my lower back as well as the seat bottom. Also the standing seam on the thigh bolsters, which look very cool, dig into the side of my hips. Yesterday I made some changes to the seat to try to address this. I took off the leather from the seat bottom. You can see on the foam an indentation where that seam sits. I then cut away a strip of foam about 3/4" wide and about 1/2" deep for the seam to sit into, so it won't stick out as much. I took off the foam down to the underlying mesh. I did the same thing for the seat back. I peeled the leather up high enough to get to the area of foam I needed to remove. For the thigh bolsters, it's solid foam with no underlying mesh. so I was able to take a bit more. You can't see any evidence of these changes when you put everything back, but it feels better. I didn't want to make any visible changes which would make it hard to sell. Like you, I've been thinking I may have to sell it if I can't get these issues solved. The lumbar support seems too much as well, but I'm hoping that with less of a sharp seam jabbing me in the back it won't be as noticeable. We'll see. I was thinking that if I needed to improve things further, I could cut out some of the mesh below the seam. However, I don't know if the heated seat element is in the mesh. Before I cut it, I'd like to find out. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

ripto

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium
That's interesting, I'll have to look back at my pictures to try and see this mesh you are referring to. I don't recall that. I was thinking about taking a few pictures to a local upholstery shop and seeing what type of material they'd recommend adding to the seat bottom to get up higher, since it seems like if I'm about an inch higher aligned with the seat back, then everything feels fine.
Sponsored