Sponsored

Remote start

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
I have a 2024 Sport 4x4 and have seen videos where the key FOB is used to start the vehicle. Press and release lock button, press and release lock button again, press and hold lock button, then truck starts. Is this an option that only some Tacoma's have, cause it doesn't work on mine.
Sponsored

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off Road Premium- Silver
I have a 2024 Sport 4x4 and have seen videos where the key FOB is used to start the vehicle. Press and release lock button, press and release lock button again, press and hold lock button, then truck starts. Is this an option that only some Tacoma's have, cause it doesn't work on mine.
If you have connected service which you probably do it should work. All presses must be done quickly like within a few seconds. Don't be slow on the trigger!

OP
OP

Miqie

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Sport-Bronze oxide
Thank you! That's what the problem was. I was holding the buttons too long. Got it to finally start without me being in the truck.

TacoJay

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
Glad I read this post lol. I didn't think it had remote start except for the mobile app!! Learned something, thanks đź‘Ť!​

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Have to do without my remote start capability. Canceled all the connected services. Don't want them collecting and distributing all the telematics.

bigd9247

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150
Have to do without my remote start capability. Canceled all the connected services. Don't want them collecting and distributing all the telematics.
Is there seriously no remote start from the key fob without the connected services? I can live without remote start from the phone app, but I'd want to be able to remote start my truck from the fob.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
Is there seriously no remote start from the key fob without the connected services? I can live without remote start from the phone app, but I'd want to be able to remote start my truck from the fob.
I can't say for certain, but I did try it (after cancelling the connected services) and it doesn't work for me. Unless it's just user error.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I am pretty certain remote start does not work without connected services.

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
I remember seeing a story on this several years back and I had thought (was hoping) that Toyota had back tracked on it. Sad.

https://www.kbb.com/car-news/toyotas-key-fob-remote-start-will-now-require-a-subscription-fee/

I understand charging a fee for a service that requires a mobile connection. Though one can definitely argue whether the price of it is justified.

For the local key fob based remote start however, that is just BS to block that behind a subscription. Personally I will always subscribe to the service as I get a lot of use out of it, but I know many others will not and they should not be artificially locked out of a built in local feature.

Planoman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)

WKTJR1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2013 Tundra CrewMax
If you are going to keep your truck for 4+ years maybe. Connected remote services is 89 per year after the first year is complimentary & you get more than just remote start.
Well, yes, that can be said for any extra cost add-on.

My Lexus had the same setup. Outside the abilty to remote start/lock/window alerts etc your vehicle from the other side of the world, I found little use for the other features it offered. At least not enough to justify the cost.

My Tundra didn't have remote start or connected services so that was an easy decision.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
If you are going to keep your truck for 4+ years maybe. Connected remote services is 89 per year after the first year is complimentary & you get more than just remote start.
Where do you see that info? Just checked on Toyota's site and it's a little hard to determine the yearly price with so many options. If it was $90 a year and free after that then it might be worth it. But I'm never going to pay a perpetual monthly fee for features on a car I've already purchased. Fuck that

2024 Tacoma Remote start 1715873260925

zachavm

First Name
Zach
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Subaru Forester & Subaru Ascent
Where do you see that info? Just checked on Toyota's site and it's a little hard to determine the yearly price with so many options. If it was $90 a year and free after that then it might be worth it. But I'm never going to pay a perpetual monthly fee for features on a car I've already purchased. Fuck that

1715873260925.png
Those are additional packages. They both include remote connect which is the remote access/start app.

Music Lover = music streaming
Go Anywhere = navigation related servies
Premium = everything

Remote connect is seperate and is not being mentioned on the site. Likely to confuse people into buying the more expensive plans.

entropy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Crossover
Those are additional packages. They both include remote connect which is the remote access/start app.

Music Lover = music streaming
Go Anywhere = navigation related servies
Premium = everything

Remote connect is seperate and is not being mentioned on the site. Likely to confuse people into buying the more expensive plans.
Ah ok that makes sense. Does the basic remote connect let you control the temperature? They need to be a bit more transparent tbh. $89 for life...seems pretty reasonable.
Sponsored