Sponsored

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
UPDATE: I called Toyota support and it turns out that you CAN use the app WITHOUT a key fob, but there is a catch. You have to have activated your digital key through the app. Note that remote start through the app and the digital key is a subscription service so it's only good as long as your trial is active unless you renew your subscription.

Original question:

Does anyone know if you can use remote connect on your Taco without the key fob. I assumed your phone would replace the key fob. I've been successful in using remote connect without the fob but maybe I just got lucky. Is there a good tutorial out there on how it should be used properly?
Sponsored

Tacomanoob

First Name
Daryl
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
4G Tacoma
UPDATE: I called Toyota support and it turns out that you CAN use the app WITHOUT a key fob, but there is a catch. You have to have activated your digital key through the app. Note that remote start through the app and the digital key is a subscription service so it's only good as long as your trial is active unless you renew your subscription.

Original question:

Does anyone know if you can use remote connect on your Taco without the key fob. I assumed your phone would replace the key fob. I've been successful in using remote connect without the fob but maybe I just got lucky. Is there a good tutorial out there on how it should be used properly?
I just activated toyota digital key. It works like a key fob as long as you have cell service. I did remote start lock and unlock but cant use it to start car and drive with it. When you buy Limited it gives you 1 yr trial.

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
I just activated toyota digital key. It works like a key fob as long as you have cell service. I did remote start lock and unlock but cant use it to start car and drive with it. When you buy Limited it gives you 1 yr trial.
Yep. Most new purchases come with that trial as far as I understand. Then want to hook you on that feature then get you to pay the subscription. I, for one, will be using it for the year then going back to the regular fob. $15 a month to use a digital key is not for me.

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Can you only use the Digital Key on Remote Connect with Premium Package? It looks like I can do everything on my TRD Offroad Poverty Edition except use Digital Key from my phone. Have the ability to lock/unlock and remote start, bit there is no option to download Digital Key.

maxx075

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 TRD Off Road
I disabled my trials and data transmission because they don't tell you, but they send your driving habits to insurance and conveniently raise your rates.

Wags

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma Off-Road Premium
I believe only one of the trials do that and I opted out of that one

OP
OP
bsquaredMTB

bsquaredMTB

First Name
Ben
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Tacoma TRD Off-Road
Can you only use the Digital Key on Remote Connect with Premium Package? It looks like I can do everything on my TRD Offroad Poverty Edition except use Digital Key from my phone. Have the ability to lock/unlock and remote start, bit there is no option to download Digital Key.
I would imagine you could since you activate it through the stereo and your phone. Might want to check with your dealer to see if the free trial was included for your purchase

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
I would imagine you could since you activate it through the stereo and your phone. Might want to check with your dealer to see if the free trial was included for your purchase
Thanks. I have the service activated and can do everything except download a Digital Key. That is what made me suspect that my trim line may not support it.

Liquidassets

First Name
Bronson
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2024 Tacoma TRD off-road
Thanks. I have the service activated and can do everything except download a Digital Key. That is what made me suspect that my trim line may not support it.
I don't think my trd off-road (non premium) has digital key either.

bml42

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Tacoma TRD Sport (6MT)
I disabled my trials and data transmission because they don't tell you, but they send your driving habits to insurance and conveniently raise your rates.
This is exactly why I will never use any of this functionality. If they want to sell this data to the insurance companies, they can give me a sizable discount on the price of the truck, or make the subscription completely free. Neither one is likely to happen, and I have no interest in the app reporting on every time I press one of the pedals too much or too quickly.

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
Iā€™ll guarantee no one in a poverty situation is driving around in a $45K truck!šŸ˜‰

Timster

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Tacoma
Iā€™ll guarantee no one in a poverty situation is driving around in a $45K truck!šŸ˜‰
LOL! Was trying to make a joke of it, but I agree. In defense of Toyota, The TRD base trim has virtually every option that my wife's Audi has with the exception of moonroof, power tailgate, and power seats. All of which, I can live without. Lots of people conplain about the price, but need to consider the Safety options, 2 years of maintenance, and other tech. Many comparisons are not apples to apples.

JED

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Tacoma TRD Sport
LOL! Was trying to make a joke of it, but I agree. In defense of Toyota, The TRD base trim has virtually every option that my wife's Audi has with the exception of moonroof, power tailgate, and power seats. All of which, I can live without. Lots of people conplain about the price, but need to consider the Safety options, 2 years of maintenance, and other tech. Many comparisons are not apples to apples.
Iā€™m with ya brother! I love my ā€œnon-premiumā€. Lol
Sponsored