Sponsored

Redline Leather Center Console Lid Cover Install & Review (w/Photos)

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
I installed a Redline charcole "fine grade leather" center console cover and I must say, the results are smooth to the touch.

Finished product:

full.jpg

Matches my reupholstered steering wheel pretty well:

full.jpg

Here's the process:

Remove the center console cover from car -- carefully use a flathead screwdriver to pry the subpanel off from the console cover. The top and bottom portion have fragile tabs, so don't break them like I did. Once removed, you have 6 star-point driver screws to remove: 4 on the lever and 2 on the latch. Once these are removed, carefully remove the metal spring from the cover and stow away for reinstall. Search YouTube for a CJ's video on this.

Now on to the new cover install:

Step 1: Clean the base cover (I chose to put the new cover over the old, so I could keep the padding from the OEM piece)

full.jpg

Step 2: Stretch out the new fabric, center it (measure twice), and launch the first staple to keep things in place. I used 1/4" staples with the largest staple gun I could find...if you have an upholstery stapler even better. I had this left over from target shooting.

full.jpg

Step 3: Staple away, being sure to pull the fabric tight and keep things centered.

332846-6ebadb369ce1bba13a459bf2d67a0379.jpg

Step 4: Tuck and staple the latch grooves. I used a bit of high strength tape to keep the leather in place while I hit it with the stapler. Classy? It doesn't look like it, but it will be covered up later anyhow.

full.jpg

Step 5: Enjoy the new look

full.jpg

full.jpg

Step 6: Install into car (reverse process of removal)

full.jpg

Step 7: Bask in its glory and smoothness.

full.jpg

full.jpg

---------------------

Overall impressions are good. The feel and refinement to the interior are excellent. The color I'm not 100% certain on -- the shade of charcoal from Redline is a few shades lighter than Ford's, so it stands out a bit. Other than that, the craftsmanship is on-par with the best and my elbow has never been happier.

Enjoy the day,

- Mike
Sponsored

Last edited:

Chef jpd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT PP1 6M, Grab ass lime. Ex: 2016 EB PPP CO
Vehicle Showcase
Nice writeup. I have.the same cover.
Note for anyone doing this:
If you are going to remove the old cover, be sure to order the foam padding from Redline.
If you don't use the padding, the top surface will be uneven. Ask me how I know.

verdelaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 6MT in Velocity Blue
Nice writeup. I have.the same cover.
Note for anyone doing this:
If you are going to remove the old cover, be sure to order the foam padding from Redline.
If you don't use the padding, the top surface will be uneven. Ask me how I know.
Super old post, I know... but I'm curious if it's possible to fit the new padding *and* the old padding so there's a bit more cushion there? Not possible and too tight? Sore elbows want to know.

OP
OP
Roadway 5.0

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Super old post, I know... but I'm curious if it's possible to fit the new padding *and* the old padding so there's a bit more cushion there? Not possible and too tight? Sore elbows want to know.
It’ll be tight, but 1/4” of additional padding should work.

Just a note — I ditched my old redline cover for a 2018+ lid cover with the nice contrast stitching and OEM fit and finish.

verdelaw

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium 6MT in Velocity Blue
It’ll be tight, but 1/4” of additional padding should work.

Just a note — I ditched my old redline cover for a 2018+ lid cover with the nice contrast stitching and OEM fit and finish.
Ha! I have a 2019. I just need to stick some more padding in there I think. Took a 2000 mile trip in the car and noticed that it could be cushier.
Sponsored