Recording the very first '18 Corsa active exhaust

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Later tonight I will be recording the sound from the first ever '18 Corsa active exhaust.

My buddies car was the one shipped to Corsa for R&D and he has the car back in his possession.

Since it is so hard to get an accurate representation of sound over the internet and to try to give everyone a realistic idea of just how it does sound. Here is our planned setup.

We will be placing both his car and my car side-by-side and recording. How is this going to help me, you say?? The recording will be done using a brand new Canon 80D on a tripod with no adjustments being made other than turning it off and on.

My car is '16 with a Corsa Extreme exhaust and no other mods that will effect the sound. No tune, intake, headers, nothing. Just an Extreme catback. My car has 16k miles on it and the Extreme has been on since around 4k miles. It is not daily driven so the exhaust is not too worn out. His car only has the active exhaust at the moment. No other mods.

What this will allow is for the listener to compare the new exhaust with a good reference point, the Extreme. Which everyone has probably heard by now :D

This will eliminate the flaws in the equipment being used. It is the closest to an actual real sound test we can provide given our equipment and listening environment.

The plan is to start my car, shut it down, then start his car in each mod and repeating both restarts for each change in his exhaust.

The '18 is owned by @1_slow_orange_5.0

Stay tuned.....

I ran out and picked up a Rode Video Micro mic. This will be much better than the camera mic.
Sponsored

Last edited:

Grimace427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2011 Mustang 5.0
Do you have an external microphone for the camera? In-camera recording was never the best IMO. I have some cheap Olympus mics that have done well, and more recently I've been using an Audio Technica shotgun mic for exhaust recording since it does an excellent job at isolating the sounds you want from all extraneous noises.

edit: typo

Last edited:
OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Do you have an external microphone for the camera? In-camera recording was never the best IMO. I have some cheap Olympus mics that have done well, and more recently I've been using an Audio Technical shotgun mic for exhaust recording since it does an excellent job at isolating the sounds you want from all extraneous noises.
I do not and we wanted to get this out as quickly as possible so we are rushing to get it done tonight. This is why using my car as a reference point will help to give a realistic idea of what it sounds like.

They both will equally sound like crap compared to a much better recording medium but the difference between the two will be noticeable.

Better sound clips will definitely be coming as well.

OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
Do you have an external microphone for the camera? In-camera recording was never the best IMO. I have some cheap Olympus mics that have done well, and more recently I've been using an Audio Technical shotgun mic for exhaust recording since it does an excellent job at isolating the sounds you want from all extraneous noises.
You can come join us tonight and bring those mics :D

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd
Meh. Go to best buy, get a good mic (assuming they have them) record, return, profit. :)

Sponsored

OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP
OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP

Sponsored
OP
OP

d4rk_hrs

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Les
Vehicle(s)
'16 Black GT PP

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Even in track mode, sounds less 'open' and throaty compared with yours.

CompOface

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP Comp Orange / Daily 2010 F-150 5.4L
Does the '18 still have a mid stream resonator or was that removed? Can you give some details on what was done to the '18? As Bmac said, the '17 sounds like it is flowing much better.

Thanks for doing this guys!

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Sound isn't really indicative of how well a car is flowing per say. Open long tube headers is the best flow you can get on a factory production car, legal or not and sounds like a pile of smashed assholes after Taco Bell. Consider the differences between the two as well. These are two totally different mufflers designs that will have slight variances in attenuation. The Gen 3 Coyote also has higher compression, new heads, new cams, etc etc. If you guys want some more info on the differences, I can certainly reach out to one of my reps for as much detail as they're willing to give.

EDIT: and yes, the middle suitcase is gone.
Sponsored