Recording advice for first trackday in my GT350

Crossi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Haven’t heard it mentioned but I use Harry’s Lap Timer. Simple and effective for single starter use. Windshield mounted my iPhone. Has audio, video, GPS for preloaded tracks. Inexpensive app. Captures acceleration, braking, compares laps. Take a look at the preview, it shows a lot of info.
Sponsored

raiderjatt02

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jessie
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 - Track Pack; 1995 GT - Saleen Clone
Harry's is good, I personally like and use Track Addict. The interface just seems nicer to me and it is part of the same company that makes RaceRender which is what I use to put all the videos/data together for my overlays.

ChipG

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chip
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT350/'95 F250/'65 Fastback/'96 Cobra Project
I use Track Addict and RaceRender as well, I've found them to work well (though I've not used Harry's to compare).

Sponsored

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350, 2012 Leaf daily
After installing my tow hook, I can't for the life of me find where these two screws go back :shock:
PXL_20220305_055828788.jpg

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F
Lol, what did you do for a tow hook? I’ve been tracking the last year and it looks like for the best result I’m going to need to cut a chunk out of my front crash support.
Also, I don’t blame you for wanting great video feedback on track. I’ve gone back and watched every single second I’ve spent on track, and tried to figure out every single flaw. In my opinion, the more data the better. Not to be fast, but to be better educated on what you are doing right, Vs wrong. Kind of odd to see a few posts scoffing at video (I think those folks might’ve thought video was more for bragging rights?). I don’t know, but all of my video has helped me learn a lot.

Egparson202

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Shelby GT350, 2018 Audi TTRS
Any advice on whether these pads have enough left?
PXL_20220304_005218494.jpg
Yes. The rule of thumb is the the pad material must be at least as thick as the backing plate at the start of the weekend. AND you must keep an eye on it. Also take into consideration the thermal capacity of your braking system (stock vs. ducting/deflectors/heat shields/hi-temp fluid/pad compound, etc). And as always be aware of how the brakes are performing. They’ll warn you, if you’re listening.

OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Awesome, thanks all!

Next up in prep is tires. My rears are at the wear bars, I'm assuming that won't cut it, so will try and get a set ASAP before next Friday!

Sponsored
OP
OP

brokenblinker

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lol, what did you do for a tow hook? I’ve been tracking the last year and it looks like for the best result I’m going to need to cut a chunk out of my front crash support.
Also, I don’t blame you for wanting great video feedback on track. I’ve gone back and watched every single second I’ve spent on track, and tried to figure out every single flaw. In my opinion, the more data the better. Not to be fast, but to be better educated on what you are doing right, Vs wrong. Kind of odd to see a few posts scoffing at video (I think those folks might’ve thought video was more for bragging rights?). I don’t know, but all of my video has helped me learn a lot.
I had a day coming up soon, so bought from a seller on the forum willing to ship fast. The install was a huge PITA. It was my first time with the number of the components being removed, front bumper and wheel wells, and it took me a good 4 hours with some beer along the way.

I did not have to cut anything, the ZL1 lined up and fit through the honeycomb.

Crossi

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Chris
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
2835F005-0FF1-4B0D-A954-BB43D6EE03C2.jpeg

Definately a PITA to install. Not hard, just time consuming. Whole front bumper has to come off, which means skid plate and everything. My best guess for those two screws would be inside the fender well, that pesky 7mm screw that connects the bumper to the quarter panel. Forgot to install the one on the drivers side and just waiting until I get it back up on the air to tackle it!

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
A nice two-camera dashcam setup is automatic and valuable beyond trackdays. The convenience is worth its weight in gold when you have 30min between sessions.

Last edited:

matthewr87

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Any advice on whether these pads have enough left?
PXL_20220304_005218494.jpg
Stock pads are just over 9 mm thick when new. The backing plate is 5 mm thick. So if the pad is thicker than the plate you are probably fine, especially if it is your first track day. Just keep an eye on them between sessions.

Also, make sure you check your inner pad too. I have higher wear on the inner pad than the outside pad and it seems that others have reported the same occurrence.
Sponsored