Sponsored

Recommended Suspension/Chassis bits for 2017 Whipple'd non-pp GT?

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 F150 5.0 & 2021 C8 Z51
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2017 non-pp GT premium. 6-sp manual, with a Gen 5 stage 2 Whipple(W/3.75 pulley), running the Whipple tune (~650 to 700rwhp range). Note: I don't actually have the car yet, but will be getting it in the coming weeks, weather permitting. Also, in case it's relevant, the car only has 3k miles on it.

Other relevant mods are:
Gforce renegade axles,
DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft
McLeod Twin Disk clutch
Car has base 3.15 gears

It's currently on stock tires and I am in process of purchasing Project 6GR wheels, which will either be 20x10, 20x11, or 19x10, 19x11 with either MPSS, or Nitto's with 555r2's out back in 305/35's.

The car right now is on 100% stock suspension. I'd like to lower it slightly, like maybe .5" (Minimal drop springs) and would like to know what is suggested from the veterans here who know their stuff what all else I should be looking to get.

My use with the car will be a 100% street car (No track) and will only be driven occasionally on nice days. In terms of getting on the power, it would mostly be highway rolls, although I'm sure a few stoplight runs will happen here and there. I can drive very aggressively at times, when the road is open, but nothing crazy. Most of the time will be either cruising and/or 50 to 75% effort. For the record, I'm 49 and I am prioritizing comfort more and more these days, so I don't want to add NVH or take away from comfort too much. At the same time, I'd like the car to be solid & reliable, without stuff breaking, handle well, and not suffer from wheel hop or too much bounciness.

I've been trying to research and look into it on my own, but I've become overwhelmed and confused by the sheer amount of parts and options available. It's mind boggling. Cradle lockouts, cradle bracing, stop the hop kits, shock mounts, subframe braces & alignment kits, vertical links, bushing kits, camber plates, and on and on and on...

And of course all the advertising makes it seem like each part is a no-brainer to upgrade to from your weak OEM part. And then it's like a domino effect, and before you know it you are looking at 4k in parts, all while trying to figure out if BMR or Steeda, or FPP has the better options, or maybe a combo, etc etc.

Anyhow, sorry for the rambling...I'm just hoping for some advice here on what I should get for my setup and purposes/use of the car, and hoping to keep it relatively simple (if possible)

Thanks!
Kevin
Sponsored

Last edited:

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
HI Kevin,

I know we have been talking back & forth - but I think this video (not GT but a GT350) can help further your question in understanding what upgrades make a difference with the Whipple tune:

We are just a call away if you want to talk to one of our build experts but will let others weigh in on their experience:

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks TJ, but if I'm being honest, Steeda was one of my biggest sources of confusion, as you just have so many different parts and packages. Also, and no offense, but I know at the end of the day you are here to sell parts. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

I do get the basic idea of stiffening everything up, I'm just trying to figure out what is really needed/desirable for my specific application & goals. And I know from experience, despite the claims of no added NVH, that the further you stray from OEM, the further the comfort declines, generally speaking.

For the record, I'm not interested in adjustable parts, I won't be competing on any track, and don't need to have anything dialed in perfectly. Just want a basic, solid "set it and forget it" street setup.

Maybe the OEM setup will be fine for me, but I'm guessing an ~800hp mustang, particularly with non-pp suspension, is definitely going to need some help, even for basic spirited street cruising. I'm looking for the priority mods on my setup with that purpose.

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
If you want something that works well and not have to piece everything together, the Ford Performance Track kit might be the way to go. I had it on my car last year, and I went with it for many of the same reasons you have outlined. I found it very compliant in day to day driving, yet it drove so much better than the stock. I didn't want to piece something together, just wanted something that worked as a whole. It does drop the car closer to 1" overall though.

Outside of that, I would recommend a cradle lockout kit and a subframe brace. Either the BMR or Steeda stuff will work well for those parts.

tj@steeda

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Timothy
Vehicle(s)
2019 Steeda Mustang - White Carbon Edition
Vehicle Showcase
Thanks TJ, but if I'm being honest, Steeda was one of my biggest sources of confusion, as you just have so many different parts and packages. Also, and no offense, but I know at the end of the day you are here to sell parts. Nothing wrong with that, just saying.

I do get the basic idea of stiffening everything up, I'm just trying to figure out what is really needed/desirable for my specific application & goals. And I know from experience, despite the claims of no added NVH, that the further you stray from OEM, the further the comfort declines, generally speaking.

For the record, I'm not interested in adjustable parts, I won't be competing on any track, and don't need to have anything dialed in perfectly. Just want a basic, solid "set it and forget it" street setup.

Maybe the OEM setup will be fine for me, but I'm guessing an ~800hp mustang, particularly with non-pp suspension, is definitely going to need some help, even for basic spirited street cruising. I'm looking for the priority mods on my setup with that purpose.
The recommendation that I can give you is to start small - even though things are "adjustable" they are not just for racing applications - it helps adjust the suspension geometry to help get things more dialed in.

I don't sell parts - that is the sales team's responsibility - I am here to help guide you in your decision & consider Steeda from a why buy consideration on the forums.

From a confusion standpoint, I understand the depth & breadth of our portfolio but we look at every part from an OE perspective & look to develop something that is stronger ... better ... more reliable - etc. It's just like shopping for a computer - there are so many different upgrades/things to consider.

With the amount of power you are putting down you are definitely going to need something to stiffen up the rear to keep that power to the ground ... as mentioned, you can start small & go with our Steeda Stop the Hop Starter Kit - https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-Mustang-Stop-The-Hop-Starter-Kit-555-4455 - the IRS braces are a huge component in stopping the hop. Some people run this package & they are very content with it. Others, may have more play they want to get rid of & they start to incorporate the Steeda.

The IRS on the Mustang has a deflection problem. Under acceleration and cornering, the entire subframe and its components move around on their soft rubber mounts, creating wheel hop under launch and imprecise handing to say the least.

We take care of that with our IRS components like the Starter Kit above & if you have to go a step further, then the following are the next items in the puzzle:
  • 555-4121 - 2015 Steeda Mustang Billet Aluminum Vertical Links
  • 555-4120 - 2015 Steeda Mustang Adjustable Rear Toe Links
I can tell you & others can weigh in but we wouldn't be putting these suspension components on our Steeda Performance Vehicles if they caused the ride quality / NVH to increase - our clients would not be happy ... nor would the Ford Dealers we sell our vehicles at being cool with that either.

As mentioned, the sales team can help will an honest dialogue with you in terms of what they do with all the SuperCharged cars that come through our shop - there are plenty of them.

We actually have a team - of seasoned veterans, that are there to support builds like this (yes, a team that will answer the phone & all of your questions) - no funny business or upselling you - just honest dialogue & the best part is ... at the end of the day ... you can choose Steeda or another company but you will get some pretty good advice & guidance if you wish to take me up on the offer.

I am confident, once you start speaking with Rodney - most of your questions/confusion will be put to bed.

I get no commission or kickbacks ... just supporting Steeda & trying to help Mustang enthusiasts with reaching & achieving their goals ... I'll step aside now :)

TJ

Sponsored

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you want something that works well and not have to piece everything together, the Ford Performance Track kit might be the way to go. I had it on my car last year, and I went with it for many of the same reasons you have outlined. I found it very compliant in day to day driving, yet it drove so much better than the stock. I didn't want to piece something together, just wanted something that worked as a whole. It does drop the car closer to 1" overall though.

Outside of that, I would recommend a cradle lockout kit and a subframe brace. Either the BMR or Steeda stuff will work well for those parts.
It didn't lower the car too much up front with the added Weight of the SC?

kevinvan6000

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020Mustang GT
The ESS blower only added 40 or so pounds to my car, the Whipples are a bit heavier though.

Bullitt69

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang Bullitt TT
Kevin, I'm in the same boat as you are - my car's in process of being tuned for E85 with not a Whipple, but a twin turbo system and I'm hopeful it will have the ability to shred the tires at 60 at a higher boost setting :like:

I really like what TJ has to say, it's a matter of starting small with the basics and then upgrading as your personal taste desires. There's basic stop the hop kits, Steeda has a few levels you can choose from - from basic to advanced.

IDK, when I had the Twins tuned on 93 (717 RWHP), there really wasn't much wheel hop until you reached higher RPM's but I suspect my PP suspension helped, and also the nature of the slower onset of boost with a TT system. I had an older 09 Bullitt with a M90 turned way up and the instant boost of the PD blower could be a little crazy in first gear especially. Manual Tranny's and a Whipple does sound like a lot of fun dude!

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
First thing you need to do is lock the cradle and differential in place. If you want to lower it for the street look into progressive rate springs

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I'm leaning toward the following:

-Steeda stop-the-hop ultimate street kit
-BIlstein B6 dampers
-Steeda minimum drop springs.

I'd like progressive springs but I can't find any with minimal drop, and most lower more in the front than rear which is exactly what I want to avoid because the whipple kit adds ~150lbs to front end, which I believe already drops the front about 1/4 inch or so. I prefer more of a level stance than a nose dive stance. The ONLY springs I can find that only lower .5" in front is the Steeda minimum drop linear springs. I'd actually prefer .75 drop in the back to make it even drop front to back, but can't find any springs like that. Almost all lower more in front.

Sponsored

Stephen@lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Gt500
Hey all,

I recently purchased a 2017 non-pp GT premium. 6-sp manual, with a Gen 5 stage 2 Whipple(W/3.75 pulley), running the Whipple tune (~650 to 700rwhp range). Note: I don't actually have the car yet, but will be getting it in the coming weeks, weather permitting. Also, in case it's relevant, the car only has 3k miles on it.

Other relevant mods are:
Gforce renegade axles,
DSS 3.5" Aluminum driveshaft
McLeod Twin Disk clutch
Car has base 3.15 gears

It's currently on stock tires and I am in process of purchasing Project 6GR wheels, which will either be 20x10, 20x11, or 19x10, 19x11 with either MPSS, or Nitto's with 555r2's out back in 305/35's.

The car right now is on 100% stock suspension. I'd like to lower it slightly, like maybe .5" (Minimal drop springs) and would like to know what is suggested from the veterans here who know their stuff what all else I should be looking to get.

My use with the car will be a 100% street car (No track) and will only be driven occasionally on nice days. In terms of getting on the power, it would mostly be highway rolls, although I'm sure a few stoplight runs will happen here and there. I can drive very aggressively at times, when the road is open, but nothing crazy. Most of the time will be either cruising and/or 50 to 75% effort. For the record, I'm 49 and I am prioritizing comfort more and more these days, so I don't want to add NVH or take away from comfort too much. At the same time, I'd like the car to be solid & reliable, without stuff breaking, handle well, and not suffer from wheel hop or too much bounciness.

I've been trying to research and look into it on my own, but I've become overwhelmed and confused by the sheer amount of parts and options available. It's mind boggling. Cradle lockouts, cradle bracing, stop the hop kits, shock mounts, subframe braces & alignment kits, vertical links, bushing kits, camber plates, and on and on and on...

And of course all the advertising makes it seem like each part is a no-brainer to upgrade to from your weak OEM part. And then it's like a domino effect, and before you know it you are looking at 4k in parts, all while trying to figure out if BMR or Steeda, or FPP has the better options, or maybe a combo, etc etc.

Anyhow, sorry for the rambling...I'm just hoping for some advice here on what I should get for my setup and purposes/use of the car, and hoping to keep it relatively simple (if possible)

Thanks!
Kevin
Congratulations on the beast! When it comes to suspension there are going to be a few things you will want to do immediately, especially with a Whipple on it. The first thing I would do is something like our Bread and Butter setup Bread and Butter Package as this will clean up quite a bit of stock sway these rear ends can tend to give which can lead to wheel hop. This package is actually customizable in case you wanted to add shocks but the way the kit comes is really all you would need to plant the rear to the ground.

You could also opt for the Bread and Butter II the Sequel Package to add a few more items to turn it into a track monster like the control arms and the IRS Bracing system. BMR has been producing all of the suspension work on our shop cars and even got our 2018 Mustang deep into the 8s with a factory engine. If you have any questions in the mean time, feel free to reach out anytime, always here to help. #Teamlethal.

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
First thing you need to do is lock the cradle and differential in place. If you want to lower it for the street look into progressive rate springs
Yeah I'm just trying to pick the best parts to do to get the job done while adding little to no NVH. BMR CB005? Stop the hop kit? Right now I am leaning toward the Steeda Stop the hop starter kit (changed my mind on the ultimate kit)

The Lethal Bread & Butter kit above seems to be more than I need for just a street car, and I'm afraid all those parts will add too much NVH.

As far as spring go, I want minimum drop which are only offered in linear springs. As of now I am planning on Steeda's minimum drop springs with Bilstein dampers. Hopefully the ride quality will be decent.

OP
OP
kbreeze72

kbreeze72

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ok, so here is my updated plan:

-Steeda STH starter kit:
https://www.steeda.com/Steeda-S550-...E5MDPVpud3T9Yw0oJESXn5Z-DXhn0QrMaAlMIEALw_wcB

• 555-5754 - Steeda IRS Subframe Support Braces
  • 555-4437 - Steeda IRS Subframe Bushing Support System
  • 555-4438 - Steeda IRS Subframe Alignment Kit

-SuperPro RLCA poly bushings:
https://www.suspension.com/superpro/spf4736k

-FRPP Suspension kit M-FR3A-M8A:
https://www.levittownfordparts.com/sku-ymm/2015-ford-mustang/M-FR3A-M8A.html

Comments, feedback, suggestions would be appreciated...

Jackson1320

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaxson
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
I would just get coilovers so you can set the height exactly where you want it

beefcake