Sponsored

Recommendations for temporary pain protection

Mat8754

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Hey Everyone,

I have put down a deposit on a GT350 and it is currently in transit and will be delivered in approximately 9 days per Ford COTUS. The dealer I am getting the car from is quite far, about 5.5 hours. I plan on driving the car back and making a little road trip out of it. My question is what is the best option for temporary protection of the front bumper, hood fenders, and sideview mirror? I won't be able to get a clear bra until the car is home. I was thinking of maybe using painters tape. Anyone have any experience with this kind of situation? Thanks
Sponsored

Stripes

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15GT 401a + Roush AB, MRT H-Pipe
Painter's tape works well. Make sure to get two sizes - the thick and thin ones so you can put them on easier. I've used it before and it works really well against bug guts for long drives!

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Have a look at road wrap. It held up well at 170 mph so I think it will serve you well at highway speeds.

Sponsored

car crazy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
I always thought painters tape was a good option until I saw this video:

If you don't want to watch the whole video, skip forward to 6:33 showing the paint problems left over after the tape was removed and the car was washed. spoiler: The tape caused permanent damage.

I assume paint protection film must expand and contract with the paint to avoid the same damage the tape caused.

OP
OP

Mat8754

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
Thanks everyone, wow never knew painters tape could cause permanent damage like that. Just did a quick search on tracwrap from xpel, looks like amazon sells, I think I will go this route, I would hope this would cause no permanent issues to the paint.

TRAC WPN

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
MY16 Gt350Track
Thanks everyone, wow never knew painters tape could cause permanent damage like that. Just did a quick search on tracwrap from xpel, looks like amazon sells, I think I will go this route, I would hope this would cause no permanent issues to the paint.
I feel confident using it, but will remove it right after I get back from the track, so within 24hrs from install

Sponsored

Shift

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
a Ford
I always thought painters tape was a good option until I saw this video:

If you don't want to watch the whole video, skip forward to 6:33 showing the paint problems left over after the tape was removed and the car was washed. spoiler: The tape caused permanent damage.

I assume paint protection film must expand and contract with the paint to avoid the same damage the tape caused.
Yea, he didnt use painters tape on his hood,which is the focus of all the damage done. He used hockey tape, whatever that is, and Larry had a hard time pulling it up. The owner just did a really shitty job, and used the wrong kind of tape. Thats user error, Ive never seen or heard of anyone having trouble with painters tape.

GT_Dave

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mach 1 408EFI , 2016 GT350
The easier approach might be to go to the grocery store and get a roll of Glad cling wrap. 2 layers should provide plenty of protection and you can secure the edges with a stronger tape if you feel it is necessary. Plus it is easy to work with and it won't look as bogus as painters tape!

wildcatgoal

@sirboom_photography
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
TBD
A local car audio/mechanic shop might have the blue film that put on cars when they're working on them. I used that once and it stayed on no problem. Unfortunately, my front paint is too far gone to give a flying whoop any longer... screw Ford paint work.

LG23

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT