Rearview mirror image shakes at high speed

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mustang GT Premium PP - Rapid Red
I have a 2022 GT, 6 speed, PP2, with 5,000 miles. At speeds between 80-95mph, the rearview mirror image starts to vibrate such that the image appears to bounce and become blurry. Headlights of cars behind look like someone is shaking a flashlight. However, the actual mirror feels fine, no vibration of the frame, tight to the mount. No sense of road vibration, no steering vibration, car tracks dead straight, no tire shake, no vibration in floorboard. Just a very noticeable image shake in the rearview mirror. Anyone else experiencing this too?
Sponsored

Captain Greg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
Aston Martin N430 .Mustang GT .Mercedes Benz AMG,
Vehicle Showcase
I have a 2022 GT, 6 speed, PP2, with 5,000 miles. At speeds between 80-95mph, the rearview mirror image starts to vibrate such that the image appears to bounce and become blurry. Headlights of cars behind look like someone is shaking a flashlight. However, the actual mirror feels fine, no vibration of the frame, tight to the mount. No sense of road vibration, no steering vibration, car tracks dead straight, no tire shake, no vibration in floorboard. Just a very noticeable image shake in the rearview mirror. Anyone else experiencing this too?
I suffer this as well, again wheels balanced No steering shaking or other …my bonnet vibrates at speed

OP
OP
JHN52

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I just spent the afternoon at the Ford Dealer. They could not replicate the problem so they invited me to drive with a technician as a witness. Sure enough, at 90mph, the image in the mirror began shaking and got worse at 105mph. The Ford tech confirmed that everything else in the car was smooth, stable, and showed no evidence of vibration. Even the mirror itself was solid. Only the image in the mirror was shaking. Suspicion from the Ford tech is that there is an internal fault inside the mirror components. They will prepare a confirmation of my complaint. No resolution at this point.

OP
OP
JHN52

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
So the service warranty write up from today is copied below.

1677797041771.png

Because I bought the car from this dealer, the service manager, the sales manager, and others took a serious interest in what the service tech reported. As I was driving, he pressed his hands against the floor, windshield, steering wheel, dash, and other places in the passenger compartment to see if anything else was vibrating. Found nothing. Tires/wheels all felt balanced. Car tracked straight like an arrow. So they were all quite curious about what they themselves witnessed. They are going to advise if/when they will replace mirror.

To be clear, I almost never exceed 80mph. I took delivery 14 months ago and it only has 4,000 miles on it. I only discovered this a few months ago.

I'll post updates and reply to anyone's questions.

Sponsored

Stage_3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 Roush Stage 3
I think there is a thread on this somewhere on this forum. I do remember seeing it, but can't remember which thread it was on.

Torinate

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Convertible
so you're concerned about doing 95mph and needing a clear image in the rear view mirror?
Can’t blame OP. Likely every light behind looks like the police strobes lol.

gmupatriot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT (Orange Fury), 401A, A10, 3.55
My 2018 GT with 56,000 miles has similar symptoms. However, in my case, there is a slight vibration I feel in the steering wheel and floorboard. I have had the rims checked for being out of balance and or bent, had brand new Michelin AS4 installed so it was not due to the factory tires but it didn't change anything. I am suspecting that this could be coming from the driveshaft but that is only a guess.

drive_55_not

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2014 Coyote, S197 3v, 2018 Gen3 [RIP], 2020 Challenger 'Cat
My 2018 GT with 56,000 miles has similar symptoms. However, in my case, there is a slight vibration I feel in the steering wheel and floorboard. I have had the rims checked for being out of balance and or bent, had brand new Michelin AS4 installed so it was not due to the factory tires but it didn't change anything. I am suspecting that this could be coming from the driveshaft but that is only a guess.
My 2018 had a vibration causing the door mirrors to shake also, I could feel a low rhythmic vibration at all speeds when I 1st bought it. It got more noticeable as speed increased but never got worse over the 2 years I had that car.

I installed a GForce drive shaft and half shafts and that changed nothing. Vibration was still there so I presume it was likely coming from the 10R80.

I installed a blend mount on the rear view mirror and that cleared up 95% of the shaking and at least made it usable to see what was behind me.

Since the OP likes to drive 100mph, hanging one of those sounds like the fix for him also.

Sponsored

Ecto1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rick
Vehicle(s)
2015 Ecoboost Premium
I had a similar problem on my '15 ragtop. I found that the set screw that attaches the mirror stalk to the windshield was loose. I tightened it up and the mirror is much better. It's worth double checking it. I'm pretty sure it's a torx bit.

OP
OP
JHN52

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
I really appreciate your replies.

To be clear - I almost never drive 90+. I only discovered it when I had to rapidly pass some idiots. Having completed the pass, I was looking in the rear mirror to assure myself I could move back safely. That's when I was stunned by the shaky image - not the actual mirror - but the image. Given the total lack of vibrations elsewhere, I had the Ford dealer where I made the purchase.

As I reported earlier, one of their top technicians rode with me as I got safely over 100mph. Bingo. The image was shaking more than it had earlier. The experienced tech was frankly surprised having thought I was the problem. He confirmed - no other coinciding vibrations elsewhere could be felt.

The dealer is in discussion with Ford to approve a total mirror replacement under warranty - and sending my mirror back for examination. This dealer is the same one that arranged delivery of this special-order 2022 GT in 10 weeks.

My only reason for sharing this is to let others know what I'm doing if they too have the same problem. To repeat, this is a 2022 GT 6-speed PP2 with a mirror full of technology which MAY be the culprit.

Drive safe out there my friends.

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
interesting thread.

Did the Tech put on any "ears" under the vehicle to determine if the mirror vibe was associated with harmonics from the driveshaft? I mean holding/pressing/touching the dash, windshield, and other interior parts isn't really "tech" or a solid diagnosis....

I guess If Ford is warranting it, then all is good. Other shops might have told you just bobble your head at the same rhythm while driving and the mirror image would be steady... 😁

OP
OP
JHN52

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
To: Cobra Jet - - I dropped off the car at 8am. I returned at 3pm. They reported all the diagnostics they did AND a road test could not duplicate the problem. However, they did not exceed speed limits for legal reasons. I don't know about "ears."

That's why I took the tech for the drive and found some safe place I could do 100+mph several times. He videoed the dancing mirror image and in his opinion/report to Ford, felt nothing in the ride that would have caused it.

I'll keep this post updated about what Ford authorizes the dealer to do. Thanks for the interest.

OP
OP
JHN52

JHN52

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
so you're concerned about doing 95mph and needing a clear image in the rear view mirror?
I understand the funny irony but after a high speed pass of other traffic, I was looking rearward to safely reenter traffic. That's when I noticed the image dancing all over. Not the mirror. Just the image.
Sponsored