Sponsored

Rear wheel out of wack

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 2018 Jeep Wrangler
Hey, this is my first post on this forums so i’m not sure if this is in the right section but I thought I’d give it a shot. Anyways, my Mustang had been feeling a bit odd for a couple of days and I finally decided to check my rear end, my right rear tire (which was replaced new not even a month ago) is completely worn down to the point where it’s smooth. I noticed the front of the wheel is pointed in towards the body by about 2-3 degrees and I only notice this on that specific wheel. Any idea what would be causing this? I don’t want to seem stupid so I thought I would ask before taking it in!
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
uh, there's a few things in the rear suspension that might be messed up. If you jack it up and take the wheel off and look around, something might stick out.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
18 Mustang EcoBoost convertible, 14 Ford Fusion SE
Definitely not enough information.
How long have you owned the car? Any history of accidents involving that wheel/quarter panel? Curb check that wheel? Any odd noises coming from that area while driving?

OP
OP
rwolf

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Definitely not enough information.
How long have you owned the car? Any history of accidents involving that wheel/quarter panel? Curb check that wheel? Any odd noises coming from that area while driving?
Sorry, I have owned the car for a few months now. There has been no accidents to the car at all since and before I owned the car. I haven't curbed it, I did take it on a decent road trip about 800 miles. It doesn't make any weird noises except from the tire, which sounds like the common noise you would get from a worn tire. I'm really not sure what is causing this issue, I do notice when I hit a bump or rather a small hole the rear end jolts to the right a noticeable amount. It is controllable and has never felt unsafe but I'm worried I may be hurting the car.

Mrhavasu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Terry
Vehicle(s)
GT350
You need to have the car aligned, the rear is adjustable. Something has knocked it out
of spec.

Sponsored

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
You need to have the car aligned, the rear is adjustable. Something has knocked it out
of spec.
Hopefully it's as simple as that. But it needs to be aligned at a minimum. And the shop will/should check all the suspension parts out for wear or damage. But the alignment should be your first step.

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Could be worn bushings, rear stepping out as described.

carguy231

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
Hey, this is my first post on this forums so i’m not sure if this is in the right section but I thought I’d give it a shot. Anyways, my Mustang had been feeling a bit odd for a couple of days and I finally decided to check my rear end, my right rear tire (which was replaced new not even a month ago) is completely worn down to the point where it’s smooth. I noticed the front of the wheel is pointed in towards the body by about 2-3 degrees and I only notice this on that specific wheel. Any idea what would be causing this? I don’t want to seem stupid so I thought I would ask before taking it in!
Could be the hub bearing. My driver's side went bad at just over 10k. Jack it up and see if you can move/rock the whole wheel. Pretty easy to replace [there are some good youtube videos] without disassembling everything - just back out the four bolts without removing them.

OP
OP
rwolf

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Could be the hub bearing. My driver's side went bad at just over 10k. Jack it up and see if you can move/rock the whole wheel. Pretty easy to replace [there are some good youtube videos] without disassembling everything - just back out the four bolts without removing them.

I did this and there does seem to be some give in the wheel, about 1/8 of an inch maybe? Is this similar to your experience?

Sponsored
OP
OP
rwolf

rwolf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yep, do an alignment. Any competent tech should recognize any worn or broken parts. Key word being "competent".
I’m taking it in for an alignment monday and to be inspected but being in a relatively tiny town in Kansas lowers my “competent” options quite a bit lol. Not too worried, i’ll take it a few hours away to KC and see if they can figure it out if I need too. Thanks for the insight!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I did this and there does seem to be some give in the wheel, about 1/8 of an inch maybe? Is this similar to your experience?
the wheel shouldn’t move at all. If it is something back there is allowing it to move. Movement like that will usually be the hub, but since yours is cockeye sitting still, that makes me think something else may be going on.

Anyway step 1 was check for play, and you did that and found some. Step 2 is still a thorough inspection.

ORRadtech

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
the wheel shouldn’t move at all. If it is something back there is allowing it to move. Movement like that will usually be the hub, but since yours is cockeye sitting still, that makes me think something else may be going on.

Anyway step 1 was check for play, and you did that and found some. Step 2 is still a thorough inspection.
Yeah, that shouldn't move at all.
I haven't had a bearing fail in many years but when it did the was a horrible roaring/grinding noise.
You're on the right path getting it checked.
Sponsored