Sponsored

Rear wheel hub bearing are shot again. Please help!!

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
I have the death rear wheel steer again. The rear bearing on the driver side is loose or shot. I jacked it up. Put my hands on the wheel in the 12 o'clock 6 o'clock position and the wheel will rock back and forth. Passager side doesn't do it. I don't know if it came loose or it's shot. I just replaced these hubs a year ago. I have the g force renegade halfsafts. The hub bearing that are currently on the car are the Ford racing Ford performance rearwheel hub kit. Is there a stronger rear wheel hub bearing that I can buy? Why does this keep happening?Please help. This is the second time this has happened. Thanks. I'm on a street tire and the car is never on the track
Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Threadlock the nut and tighten the hell out of it. Launching the car will loosen the driverā€™s side axle nut.
I hope it just needs to be tightened. Are you talking about the axle nut?. I took the wheel off.. it seems pretty tight

raidernixon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
11 & 16 GT; 20 GT500 CFTP; 21 Mach 1
I hope it just needs to be tightened. Are you talking about the axle nut?. I took the wheel off.. it seems pretty tight
If you think it's tight, it's not tight enough. The axle nut requires two-stage torquing, which I believe is 98 ft/lbs, then and additional 45 degree turn from there. I had a 30 inch breaker bar to get the 45 degree turn and it took every ounce of my strength to get it.

If you track or drag your car, the axle nut should periodically be tightened or bumped. They can and will come loose. The bearing wears out quickly once it gets loose. Loose will not be finger spin loose...it will still feel tight.

To my knowledge, there are no stronger bearings. The ford racing bearing is same as OEM, just with longer studs.

Sponsored

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
If you think it's tight, it's not tight enough. The axle nut requires two-stage torquing, which I believe is 98 ft/lbs, then and additional 45 degree turn from there. I had a 30 inch breaker bar to get the 45 degree turn and it took every ounce of my strength to get it.

If you track or drag your car, the axle nut should periodically be tightened or bumped. They can and will come loose. The bearing wears out quickly once it gets loose. Loose will not be finger spin loose...it will still feel tight.

To my knowledge, there are no stronger bearings. The ford racing bearing is same as OEM, just with longer studs.
I hope mine are just lose and not shot

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
I hope mine are just lose and not shot
If it came loose, the bearing has probably been destroyed from moving around.

Make sure to get the thrust washer in there, a new axle nut.

The original ones failed a lot but the current parts shouldnā€™t fail too quickly if you install it right. Eventually they all fail, its a wear item.

Skye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
"Skye" Mach1 N2144
Last edited:

Sponsored
OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
Soooo... can I just buy a stock hub bearing, knock the arp extended studs out my old hub and put the extended studs in the new stock hub?

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Soooo... can I just buy a stock hub bearing, knock the arp extended studs out my old hub and put the extended studs in the new stock hub?
yep, its that simple.

A press or a bearing stud install washer wouldnā€™t be a bad idea putting the studs in the new hub, but ya, reuse those studs.

boB

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boB
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1
Hundreds of thousands of Mustangs were built with these hubs. All of them leaving the assembly plant were torqued to factory spec and very few come loose. The failure rate is low enough that it is not a design/assembly/materials issue.
Something on your car has changed. If the only thing you have changed are the halfshafts maybe go back to all OEM parts and take it from there.

Cory S

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Cory
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium
I put new rear wheel hubs in 2.5 years ago. (Maintenance) I beat the bag out of it. I used 242 Loc-tite on the axle threads and torque to 200lb-ft. Then mark the nut/axle for quick checks of loosening. They never move.

OP
OP

robmustang201528

15 mustang gt302blown
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15pp
What is the tq specs from Ford. I don't know how to install it. I take it to a shop to do the work. I want to give them all the tq specs so they install it and torque it down correctly.
Sponsored