TheRealMC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Good day gentlemen,
This is my first post here and I used this forum/archives to do 90% of my research leading up to my wheel and tire purchase through GetYourWheels.com. (Jason did a great job BTW). Well, they came in and the tires got mounted and everything fits great except for one issue...

The Left Rear wheel/tire assembly sits about a centimeter further outside the wheel well versus the Right Rear. (See attached pics)

Right Rear (Top)

Left Rear (Top)

Right Rear (Behind)

Left Rear (Behind)

Right Rear (Level Behind)

Left Rear (Level Behind)

(Yes I know the car is dirty, I'm washing it shortly)
(Also Sorry for the giant pics)

I tried searching for similar situations and could only find issues with the S197 cars and their panhard bar when lowering. It looks very similar to that problem, but I don't have a panhard bar (IRS obv.) and the car is at stock height.

Any suggestions on what could be causing this?
Thanks in advance,
-Matt
Sponsored

Todd15Fastback

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Todd
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP Fastback
IRS alignment? I know some cars from the factory are off(not centered) by as much as .25".

I have the Steeda IRS cradle alignment bushings and mine is now square.

Something to think about. Not sure if this is your issue or not but wanted to share.
Good luck!

Cascadia_302

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 RubyRed GT M6 Premium
Right, it could very well be this. I suspect your car was like this before changing wheels/tires and it only became noticable due to the new offsets with the fenders now providing a visual reference to show the condition. I would think the thrust angle of an alignment could indicate if this is the problem.

kn7671

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
I would start by first pulling both rear wheels and measure the backspacing/offset on both to ensure they are identical. If not, you can stop there and through remediation. If they are identical, then the IRS alignment is almost certainly the issue and can be corrected as others have stated.

Sponsored

Waldorf

Old School
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 3Y PP
Rear sub-frame may have been installed off-center at Flat Rock. Had an IRS T-Bird that way. Bought it new and never noticed until I went with larger diameter wheels/wider tires. The rear was off center when installed at the factory. It was square to the car, but off center by almost 1/2".

First thing I did on my 2016 when I got it home from the dealer... checked tire-to-fender on both the front and rear of the car. Didn't want history to repeat itself. ;)

Suggest maybe putting the stock wheels back on and measuring just to make sure. If so, then a call to the dealer to get it fixed and aligned properly, as I think that should be covered under warranty.

Wherever you get it done, make certain that the rear sub-frame gets aligned to center and square to the car BEFORE they start alignment. Proper alignment of an IRS RWD car is the rear gets aligned first, then the front off the rear.

Best of Luck!
That is all...

IvanCRF

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.On'ry
You may wish to consider the Steeda subframe alignment kit to get the subframe centered by ensuring the subframe bolts are all centered in the mounts. Afterwards, an alignment with the now centered subframe is in order.

Road Dog

Really Smart Member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Convertible
BTW, what wheels and tire sizes are you using and do you know the offset and backspace dimensions?

OP
OP
TheRealMC

TheRealMC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
kkanonn: I do not know what the current specs are as it is stock and I have never had an alignment.

Road Dog: The wheels are Niche GT-5 (M133) sized 20x10 et40, 7.07" backspacing.
Tires are Bridgestone Potenza S-04 Pole Position 295/30/20. Square all around.

kn7671: I'll check on that too, I probably should have measured them before installing. Oops..

Waldrof: I already sold the stock wheels:( But I will let the dealer know the issue when I take it in for alignment, they've taken good care of me so far. I have the MPP Platinum warranty, but I feel like they'll try to wiggle out of the alignment because the new wheels aren't covered.

To all others: I will definitely check into an alignment soon, and I appreciate the responses. You guys are great!

Sponsored

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
I have the MPP Platinum warranty, but I feel like they'll try to wiggle out of the alignment because the new wheels aren't covered.
The wheels (assuming they are round) don't affect the alignment.

I would verify you really have the same backspace on both sides. If you do, the only option is that the center section is mounted off-center in the car (or you have a good deal more negative camber on the right side, but you should be able to see that from behind the car. If the right rear wheel is tipping inward, there's your problem.)

Cobrakev

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT
Looking at the pic's, it seems the L/R has more camber than the R/R. That is why it seems tucked in

Old 5 Oh

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium AT
Looking at the pic's, it seems the L/R has more camber than the R/R. That is why it seems tucked in
I think it's the L/R that's poking, so has less negative camber.

Need4SpeedMotors

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.n4sm.com
First Name
N4SM Team
Vehicle(s)
S550 Mustang & Shelby GT350 platform
Ive seen this before if I may chime in.

There are 2 things that can cause this.

1. Your camber is off ( which is the least of the 2 as a viable option) could also be done if the alignment is not done right.

2. You lowered the vehicle and while the rear was being put back it was not aligned properly causing the rear to shift to one side.

I would advise for you to have your camber and alignment checked, and if the car has been lowered make sure the rear is alignment properly and not shifted over.

OP
OP
TheRealMC

TheRealMC

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP
Ive seen this before if I may chime in.

There are 2 things that can cause this.

1. Your camber is off ( which is the least of the 2 as a viable option) could also be done if the alignment is not done right.

2. You lowered the vehicle and while the rear was being put back it was not aligned properly causing the rear to shift to one side.

I would advise for you to have your camber and alignment checked, and if the car has been lowered make sure the rear is alignment properly and not shifted over.
Car is stock height, I'll be getting my alignment checked out soon.
I appreciate the help! :cheers:

To all..
I just remembered...
About a month before I got these wheels/tires put on, I had a nail in my L/R tire. Dealer replaced it under warranty and I drove around with one brand new and one pretty much bald rear until I got these. With that new tire, hard accelerations would pull hard to the right. So that could definitely have something to do with it. I'll for sure bring this up to my dealer when I bring it in.

Thanks for all the input!
Sponsored