Sponsored

Rear toe link to knuckle and other possible solutions?

Jinlel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
Where to start? I believe I've posted the story before, but after looking through with a few people I know at a good shop, we've narrowed the problem to the toe link and knuckle bushings.

Summarized story (all events listed are within 21k and 24k miles):
- Installed Eibach Pro Kit springs and 25mm spacers, got an alignment.
- Creaking occurred almost immediately after, rear sway under heavy throttle occurring. Checked alignment, looked fine on paper.
- Changed rear wheel bearings. Creaking disappeared. Rear sway persisted less, but now only during right turns at highway speeds.
- Installed Steeda Billet Aluminum Vertical Links, Steeda Subframe Alignment kit, Steeda Subframe Bushing Support System. Realigned. Rear wiggle during right turns at highway speeds persisted.
- Installed Steeda rear sway bar (middle setting, I believe) and their rear end links. Same issue persists.
- Jacked the car up, found very slight play on the left wheel at 3 and 9 o'clock.

Recently, I ordered a pair of Ford Performance toe link to knuckle bushings, in hopes that this will fix the problem. Waiting until Tuesday to install and realign. I'm praying to God that this is the sole issue that's been causing all of this trouble, but on the chance it likely is not, what could the issue be? I should be asking this if the result of the bushing swap ends up not being the solution to my issue, but I want to ask, just on the chance I could be wrong, and can better research. Below are pictures of the current toe link to knuckle bushing on the driver's side, as well as the picture of the new bushings I just received in the mail. Odometer currently reads a little over 24k miles.

kYnPBhR.jpg

MI5K78J.jpg
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
If you have some play, you should be able to visually identify where that play originates.

kent0464

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kent
Vehicle(s)
1983 Ford Ranger, 1986 SVO Mustang, 2017 Mustang GT PP, 2017 F150 3.5 Eco
Vehicle Showcase
A couple things you have to do when lowering your car or when upgrading suspension parts.
1. When dropping the height with springs or coilovers, use 1” shorter adjustable sway bar links, it really helps with noise and proper handling.
2. This is probably the most important. When re-assembling do not tighten any of the bolts until the front or rear suspension is at ride height and has the vehicles weight on it, because once tightened most components are locked in and you want them locked in at ride height, not doing so will result in a lot of weird noises (moans, clunks, etc) and ride height possibly being off from side to side.

OP
OP

Jinlel

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT/PP
I actually just had the problem fixed yesterday. It was indeed the toe link to knuckle bushings. The stock ones were so worn out, that when they were taking them out, the rubber stripped from the cylindrical metal casing LOL. The car ACTUALLY feels amazing now, and I'm able to finally enjoy the upgrades I've made on the rear so far. No more wobble!

Bluemustang

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ryan
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang Base GT
I actually just had the problem fixed yesterday. It was indeed the toe link to knuckle bushings. The stock ones were so worn out, that when they were taking them out, the rubber stripped from the cylindrical metal casing LOL. The car ACTUALLY feels amazing now, and I'm able to finally enjoy the upgrades I've made on the rear so far. No more wobble!
Great! I guess the moral of the story is get those toe-knuckle bearings. They're awesome anyways!
Sponsored