Sponsored

Rear Sway Bar: GT350 vs GT350R

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
Made this based on what I found in this thread and another chart I saw (don't remember who/where), includes everyone's part numbers for what I could find.

Does anybody know the size of the V6/Eco rear bar so I can add that?

I think I got all the part numbers right...
swaybars.png
Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
↑↑↑ Approximate stiffnesses could be worked up if we knew a few dimensions to describe the bar's basic shape (and the wall thickness of any tubular bars). Working with anything less to estimate comparative stiffnesses or the effect on handling balance is either a guess or an assumption/two.

Norm

Roadway 5.0

Strassejager
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2016GT PP 6MT
Vehicle Showcase
Agreed. Sheer size is not a pure indicator of stiffness, though it is a good SWAG. I understand this thread is about a 350R rear bar, but nevertheless I will always push folks to get adjustable sway bars (at least the rear) as you can really tune-in your handling and feel preferences with these bits. My opinion, of course.

Nagare

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Lightning Blue V6
Vehicle Showcase
I was putting it together mostly for a part # reference for the Ford ones and everyone asking the sizes. I saw the other chart before that had the aftermarket supplier's sizes listed so I included all of their part #s as well.

I think it is hard to argue with the value proposition here though since you can get front and rear for sub $200 shipped across the US compared to some of these others where that won't even get you one of the bars. Sure it all works as a system, but sometimes you have to make the mistake to appreciate the right setup properly.

I don't know much about suspension systems as a whole, but if anyone has information on stiffness relative to a standard reference point (let's say either the GT or GTPP bars) I could add it to my table.

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
It's a decent assumption that most of the 25/25.4 bars are likely to have the same wall thickness (though can't be sure). 1" round tube has just a couple thicknesses that make sense and could be bent like they are.

Sponsored

k4show

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium PP
What size does the 2018 PP2 have for front and rear?

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT

CVCashmere

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Carl
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Vert w/Steeda lower brace, PP sways & susp
Ecoboost PP rear bar is 21.7. Confirm with the "Chef". It's on my car now.

CVCashmere

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
Perhaps, I'm asking too much...can someone make a chart with their approx. relative stiffness, along with each hole of the adjustment?

Sponsored

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With a few dimensions it could be done quite easily in a spreadsheet.

Are you familiar with Fred Puhn's sta-bar stiffness model? That'll probably get you within 5% or so of a more complex approach that needs another measurement or two.

Norm

Rebellion

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Competition Orange GT
With a few dimensions it could be done quite easily in a spreadsheet.

Are you familiar with Fred Puhn's sta-bar stiffness model? That'll probably get you within 5% or so of a more complex approach that needs another measurement or two.

Norm
No idea at all :shrug:

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Here's the idealized model (the distance between the bar supports is something I've added). Dimension D would be the bar diameter, which would need to be both inside and outside diameters (or OD and wall thickness) for a tubular bar.

picture.jpg

Idealized model matched up to a real bar - it is something of a guess.

picture.jpg

Fred Puhn's actual formula assumes a material stiffness that may be a little high, but you'd have to untangle his constant (I think it's 500,000) to find out what that was. A 'proper' stiffness analysis would use a structural analysis program that can consider the effects of bends being different from straight segments of the same length. I may still have such a software, but I haven't used it or the computer that I think it's on in several years.

Norm

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
Couple other things . . . when you go to use these stiffness values in an effort to estimate how much roll you're going to get, reflecting bar end stiffnesses (lb/in) out to the wheels doesn't work nearly as well as determining the sta-bar stiffness as a moment stiffness. I suspect it's because the bar opposes the spring on the inboard side. You may also want to consider the effect of tire deflection, which can add 0.5 degrees per g or a bit more to what you'd calculate from suspension stiffnesses alone.

Norm

gearhead2685

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 mustang
GT350R front and rear sways showed up today.

This threads a damn mess BTW :headbonk:

I somehow either got the wrong rear bushings or asked for the wrong ones. I dunno.

Anyways

FR3Z-5482-J = GT350R FRONT SWAY BAR.
FR3Z-5484-C = GT350R FRONT BUSHING.

FR3Z-5A772-E = GT350R REAR SWAY BAR.
******FR3Z-5493-C = WRONG REAR BUSHING!!!!******

Should be F2GZ-5493-C = 24MM Correct rear bushing?

Ill call and sort it out with Ford Auto Nation White Bear Lake tomorrow.

See how they get confused? The ending looks the same for them both but the F2GZ I believe is the correct R rear bushing.

Once i know for FACT i will make a new thread this one is a mess and too many pages.
Sponsored