Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 2016 ecoboost Mustang with 6 speed stick. It's really fun to drive but I have noticed it pushing into turns.
1. This is my daily driver and I want it to be comfortable
2. I am an engineer so I am cheap
3. I tend to make one change at a time so that I don't confuse issues

I have heard and read a lot that the rear sway bar will help with the understeer.
I am thinking of putting in a strut tower brace. Seems like that helps tighten things up as well.

My question is;
Will a rear sway bar and shock tower brace tighten up the handling (remove understeer) without needing a front sway bar? or does adding a front sway bar make it all that much better?

Thanks,
RRRob
Sponsored

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
A /mild/ rear swaybar increase can be a good thing for stock understeer. A lot of the bars from the big names are designed to be paired with a stiffer front bar too, so be careful. Strano makes a mild rear bar, or uou can grab a non-adjustable bar off a GT350/R car. Personally I’d recommend just getting a pair of adjustable bars so you can dial to taste. Just slapping on a BMR or Steeda rear bar by itself might be too much oversteer.

Tires and alignment... if you had camber plates you could also do some good alignment work. Without front camber adjustability, the alignment is still worth touching and has an effect on how the car rolls through corners. If your tires are square then ok. If you’re on a staggered setup with rear tires larger than the fronts then that’s contributing to your understeer too.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
OP
OP
RRRob

RRRob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
Get the PP lower K member along with the upper K mount to go along with the strut tower brace.

That makes the chassis work.

Get some camber plates or bolts and get a good alignment.

Read this thread for clarification on K braces

PP Strut Tower Brace kit + Cowl Extension + Lower K Brace Install Guide | 2015+ S550 Mustang Forum (GT, EcoBoost, GT350, GT500, Bullitt, Mach 1) - Mustang6G.com

I would do the above before I started playing with sway bars.

Sways are for final tuning.
Obviously I had not thought of this. I will read the thread when not at work. Thanks!

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Hi everyone,
I just purchased a 2016 ecoboost Mustang with 6 speed stick. It's really fun to drive but I have noticed it pushing into turns.

I have heard and read a lot that the rear sway bar will help with the understeer.
I am thinking of putting in a strut tower brace. Seems like that helps tighten things up as well.

My question is;
Will a rear sway bar and shock tower brace tighten up the handling (remove understeer) without needing a front sway bar? or does adding a front sway bar make it all that much better?

Thanks,
RRRob
Hey RRRob,
Before spending any $$$, download this: https://speedsecrets.com/tune-car-handling/

Great info. I found out about it during a class at a Porsche Club HPDE event.

Last edited:

Sponsored

TopJimmyCooks

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT Prem PP; 2019 EcoBoost Prem
Vehicle Showcase
Also, it is important to consider whether the understeer is while braking, accelerating, etc. and whether you are on track, backroads, autocross, etc. Understanding this will help folks to point you in the right direction.

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
If he is going to push it he needs the PP braces. If they were not needed Ford would not put them on the performance pack cars.

OP
OP
RRRob

RRRob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
I really appreciate the quick responses. It looks like the strut tower, upper and lower K mounts are the place to start. I would have gone off and got a sway bar first. Thanks again and Happy Thanksgiving!

spaz mk will

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Will
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT
Adding those K braces to my non PP GT is still one of the most noticeable mods I have done. Eliminates a lot of cowl area creaks as well. And it’s pretty cheap/easy.

Regarding the sway bar, note that many of the adjustable aftermarket units are stiffer in their Soft position than even the GT350 bar. Here is a long but valuable thread on sway bars. There is a stiffness chart somewhere around page 25. https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/rear-sway-bar-gt350-vs-gt350r.86633/

OP
OP
RRRob

RRRob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase
So I went and looked under my car today and it has the lower K bracket. I looked at the original window sticker for the car and it doesn't mention any performance package. This will save me a little effort and a few bucks. I'll still need the cowl extension and strut tower brackets. I'm glad I looked because I had all the parts in a cart at Tasca ford.

20201126_113008.jpg

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
I can't tell from that photo.

Easiest way to tell is look for a door under the oil filter, no door, no brace.

OP
OP
RRRob

RRRob

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang ecoboost
Vehicle Showcase

this picture shows the end where it is bolted in
20201126_113004.jpg

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
Yep, good to go.

bnightstar

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Hristofor
Vehicle(s)
2013 Ford Fiesta 1.25i, 2017 GB Ford Mustang GT PP Premium
Vehicle Showcase
My question is;

Thanks,
RRRob
Hi RRRob don't buy a rear sway bar. This is a waste of money. The car don't need more rear bar because it will start to slide and oversteer even more (you can buy it if you are looking for improving your crowd killing abilities). For me what removed my understeer (PP car) was Strut Tower Brace + Steeda Front Swaybar + 275/35 front and rear tires + amazing alignment. And the alignment made all the difference in the world. I know that you think you need rear swaybar as that's what the logic suggest but the Mustang is under sprung under tired from the factory so increasing the front spring rate (front swaybar is like a 3rd spring) and square tires will help with understeer a lot. It's just what the platform is I guess.

Andrew@Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2003 10th Anniversary Cobra / 2003 Ford Lightning
Hi everyone,

My question is;

Thanks,
RRRob
Sway bars will make a major improvement over the stock handling. We are currently running 10% off sitewide here at www.lethalperformance.com. Use coupon code "FRIDAY" at check out. Please send me a message if you have any questions. I personally prefer BMR, they are made in the U.S.A and their prices do not break the bank.
Sponsored