AngelDeath

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
'20 Shelby GT500 Rapid Red / '01 Metallic Red C5 / '17 White Overland
Got it.
Mine was delivered with temp paper plates and dealership frame already mounted.
That’s the way it has to be here in California.
Ah, well mine came from Iowa and the temp tag I had to print out and affix on my window, and when I got my '16 GT they tapped the back and mounted the temp tag. But no frame, My dealership sales guy told everyone there under no circumstance was there to be any badging on the car per my instructions :)
Sponsored

dps

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350 Heritage Edition; 2021 GTS 4.0
My dealer didn't want to install the plate - worried they might do something wrong. I told them they've obviously done this more times than I have - and to put the plate on. Which they did.

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
Any solution for a setup where it can be screwed on and off mulitple times without it wearing out the screw holes over time?
Dealers often use plastic threaded inserts such as from Dorman. They require an even bigger hole though, slightly squared off too.

Or you could use a Rivnut insert specifically for urethane/plastic. They have a softer crush versus those used in steel. I think I got some from Mcmaster-Carr when I attached a Saleen urethane lower fascia on a Fox Mustang. Very robust.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
I'll borrow your thread for something similar... but a tad different.

I have to take my plates off every winter and reattach in the spring when it gets back on the roads. (Due to dumb Danish tax and insurance rules)

I can imagine after a couple of seasons the holes will get torn bigger. Any solution for a setup where it can be screwed on and off mulitple times without it wearing out the screw holes over time?
When you reinstall the screws, turn in the opposite direction until you feel the screw click across the threads tapped from previous installations.

By doing this you are not tapping new threads each time you install the screw.

Sponsored

oregongt350

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2022 GT500 HE, 1967GT Fastback S code,
I agree. There will always be a plate there. Drill a small pilot, then use the "self tapper" and the urethane won't curl.
Copy that, pilot hole with the self tappers worked great for me.

WD Pro

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Lime GT
Vehicle Showcase
I know our UK plates are plastic and yours are metal, but number plate tape is common over here and if used properly it sticks really well (nine years and counting on my daily). Think of it a a thick VHB, I used 5mm stuff on the mustang so the plate is raised slightly to cover the bosses :

1-E5-A6-AFF-93-BF-48-A9-9-FA7-C34-BEE5-D07-B4.jpg

@RasJeremy - I like the stud idea mentioned above, but you could also consider those rubber rivet type things :

1614172878851.png

Once you have put the right size hole in the bumper you can replace the inserts as and when required - yearly with you plate removal if you really wanted ...

WD :like:

US HWY 666

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
R
I know our UK plates are plastic and yours are metal, but number plate tape is common over here and if used properly it sticks really well (nine years and counting on my daily). Think of it a a thick VHB, I used 5mm stuff on the mustang so the plate is raised slightly to cover the bosses :

1-E5-A6-AFF-93-BF-48-A9-9-FA7-C34-BEE5-D07-B4.jpg

@RasJeremy - I like the stud idea mentioned above, but you could also consider those rubber rivet type things :

1614172878851.png

Once you have put the right size hole in the bumper you can replace the inserts as and when required - yearly with you plate removal if you really wanted ...

Thanks for this info. Your SOL plate is pretty cool also, I seriously doubt the
State of New Mexico in the USA would ever allow a plate like that. I've been
down a similar road with them already.

Houston Kid

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500 HE CFTP, '18 WK2 ,'16 Audi A7
I have been mounting plates on my cars for years using the same type of screws into plastic as are on today's cars. I have yet to have a plate fall off or the screws back out or fail. I don't see why the fuss about putting two screws into an area they are designed to go?????

I am at a loss over this one. I did not put any type of spacer between my plate and the car. So I may have a few scratches on the stripes or paint, but they will be covered by the plate. Who cares but I guess some do.

I don't tap a hole either. Just get out the drill and let it rip driving the screws all the way in. I do have the torque set very low on the drill as to not strip out the hole though.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
I'll borrow your thread for something similar... but a tad different.

I have to take my plates off every winter and reattach in the spring when it gets back on the roads. (Due to dumb Danish tax and insurance rules)

I can imagine after a couple of seasons the holes will get torn bigger. Any solution for a setup where it can be screwed on and off mulitple times without it wearing out the screw holes over time?
Can you not remove the plates from the frame and leave the frame in place?

Sponsored

RasJeremy

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ras
Vehicle(s)
Mustang 5.0 2020
By doing this you are not tapping new threads each time you install the screw.
That is a solution yeah - I'll keep that in mind if I can't work out a rivnut solution 😊👍 thanks

Number plate tape or rubber rivet

The tape part is not legal in Denmark - they have to be glued with window sealant, pop rivet or screw attached.

I love the tape part idea for clean plates! However if I have to take them off at the end of every year I'm gonna hate the glue option!

The rubber rivet idea is pretty neat though! I had them for attaching some stuff on my Humvee and they are actually working out nice! Thanks for bringing that to my attention 👍

Can you not remove the plates from the frame and leave the frame in place?
First of all I think the frame for a license plate is like giving your car aids, haha

But as stated above we still have to firmly attach the plate with something so the frame won't do much of a difference.

I appreciate your input though! 🤟

Wolvee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Shelby GT500
Stop watching Obsessed Garage and mount the plate.

Caballus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350
That is a solution yeah - I'll keep that in mind if I can't work out a rivnut solution 😊👍 thanks

The tape part is not legal in Denmark - they have to be glued with window sealant, pop rivet or screw attached.

I love the tape part idea for clean plates! However if I have to take them off at the end of every year I'm gonna hate the glue option!

The rubber rivet idea is pretty neat though! I had them for attaching some stuff on my Humvee and they are actually working out nice! Thanks for bringing that to my attention 👍

First of all I think the frame for a license plate is like giving your car aids, haha

But as stated above we still have to firmly attach the plate with something so the frame won't do much of a difference.

I appreciate your input though! 🤟
I use zip ties. You can also use bolts if you pad them on the side next to the car. Plates come off all the time; frame remains in place. Advantage to European tags. Doesn't cure aids though...
Sponsored