Rear Ended and Worried

Discussion in 'Issues, Repairs, Warranty, TSB, Recalls' started by chandlermaxwell, Jan 17, 2018.

1. chandlermaxwell

chandlermaxwell Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    2017 Mustang GT Premium Fastback
    0   0   0
    Hey everyone, if there is already a thread about this just let me know. I was rear ended while trying to turn left at an intersection and it caused a pretty good amount of rear end damage. After the accident I was able to drive the car home and then to the body shop the next morning. The car felt really off though, almost like the shift gates weren't aligned and that it had knocked the rear end out of alignment. The body shop is supposed to be done with their repairs Friday and I want to take it over to the Ford Dealership to have the service department look over it. Any tips on what I should tell them to look at?

Thanks

2017 GT PP 3200 Miles MT82

2. moffetts

moffetts Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Black Whippled 2015 GT PP
    0   0   0
    Is this being conducted under an insurance claim? In my experience, they are very thorough when they basically have a blank check. I curbed mine and did a number on the suspension in the back, but they went through and put it all back together as good as new.

3. OP
    OP
    chandlermaxwell

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Yes, I am hoping that it won't be an issue with the at fault party's insurance that the mechanical issues are being handled at a different shop than the body issues.

4. Wvmike

Wvmike Well-Known Member

First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle(s):
    Race Red GT PP
    0   0   0
    If there are specific repairs that the dealership needs to do, you need to have the body shop sub out to them.

5. OP
    OP
    chandlermaxwell

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    Right now I'm unsure if there's actually anything wrong but I want the dealership to at least look at it so I don't get 5000 miles down the road and have a suspension issue show up that should've been fixed on the other guys dime.

6. OP
    OP
    chandlermaxwell

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    So I got the vehicle back and the Ford Dealership adjusted the alignment about a 10th of a degree on both rear tires. They were supposed to balance and rotate the tires also, but now while I'm driving the rear end feels almost like there is a wobble in it or like its very loose. Any suggestions?

7. wildcatgoal

wildcatgoal @sirboom_photography

Vehicle(s):
    TBD
    0   0   0
    Seen 4 of these get totaled because of a relatively MINOR rear end accident...

8. usgiorgi

usgiorgi Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    C6 Z06
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0
    Take it back and tell them that it's not driving like it was before. If they say that it's fine, ask them to drive one of their new ones and compare the two. It could be just your head messing with you, or it could be a real problem.

In either case, I hate driving cars that have been repaired. Especially if the frame was "straightened".

Did you pursue a diminished value claim through the other insurance? If not, you gotta get on that ASAP. Expect to be lowballed at first, but keep pushing. I'd say around 3k is a fair estimate for a brand new car. If you go to trade it in, they're not gonna like the red flag about the rear end accident.

scoggy_doogan likes this.
  9. OP
    OP
    chandlermaxwell

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I had to use my insurance to go after his provider because the policy holders 16 year old step son was the driver and he didn't want to have to file it. My insurance paid me $1,600 and change for loss of value. The total repair bill from the body shop was about $6,700 and there was no mention of frame work.

10. usgiorgi

usgiorgi Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    C6 Z06
    Rating:
    100%
    1   0   0

Do you have any pics of the damage?

11. melwff

melwff Well-Known Member

Vehicle(s):
    Mustang GT 2017
    0   0   0
    do you have a police report that lists who the driver was in the other car?

GreenS550 likes this.
  12. OP
    OP
    chandlermaxwell

Vehicle(s):
    0   0   0
    I will have to check with my claim file from my insurance for any pictures, but I do have the police report and the other driver was obviously at fault. I knew the person which complicated the situation initially but their insurance did pay for damages as they should have. It just took over 3 weeks to get them to go ahead and start the process with the body shop.