Rear end clicking sound gone - Thrust washer on hub

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
Can the thrust washer cause a metalic rubbing noise inside the cabin?
Sponsored

OP
OP
Nickel

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
I'm planning on upgrading to GT350 half shafts since I'm changing my rear differential. I'm wondering if the Thrust washers are needed with GT350 half shafts? I couldn't find a concrete answer anywhere. Even in the shop manual there isn't any reference to these thrust washers. On many videos of the installation, it seems like they are not using these thrust washers at all.

OP
OP
Nickel

Nickel

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
First Name
Nick
Vehicle(s)
2022 Mach 1 Handling Package TR3160 w/Recaros
I'm planning on upgrading to GT350 half shafts since I'm changing my rear differential. I'm wondering if the Thrust washers are needed with GT350 half shafts? I couldn't find a concrete answer anywhere. Even in the shop manual there isn't any reference to these thrust washers. On many videos of the installation, it seems like they are not using these thrust washers at all.
They're only a few bucks each and if you have them out of the car, definitely use them. I don't see why anyone servicing that area wouldn't use them. The stock ones are as thin as paper and basically deteriorate while the upgraded ones seem like 1/8" thick and in will no way fail.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
I just installed Ford Performance half shafts in my 2019 Bullitt and there were no thrust washers on my car. Did Ford get away from using these on 2018+ cars?

Sponsored

Lincolnzz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP Grabber Blue
I'm pretty sure I've got a bad wheel bearing, sounds terrible when driving and when lifted there is a ton of play in all directions. Driver rear is terrible, and passenger rear not as bad but has a little play that shouldn't be there.

Ordered hub assemblies from moog, and some new axle nuts. I suppose I should order some thrust washers too? since it seems like everyone's OEM ones were destroyed/missing?

From my browsing some people have said they serve no purpose except to prevent seizing, and some people say they are are there for stability, but for $30 won't hurt to have them on hand I guess.

2017 GT w/65000 miles.

Emilbadal

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Emil
Vehicle(s)
2016 V6 Auto DIB
From what I understand they are kinda sacrificial parts to preven the cv joint splines be damaged due to excess axial play between the hub assembly splines and cv splines. However they will thin out over time due to friction between rotating and stationary parts and that is probably why some people report the axle nuts losening clamping force and moving.that's probably why ford made the revised parts thicker to give them more life. I got in contact with the customer support of the store and they told me that they couldn't find any reference in the Mustang shop manuals they have access to about these thrust washers. I can't tell for sure that if they are needed or not, unfortunately. I have already bought a set of the thrust washers myself just to be on the safe side.

Granthenneke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Grant
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I have this same issue on my 2018 GT. It happens only from a stop or going into reverse. Did the Ford performance half shafts help? Here is what mine sounds like.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I have this same issue on my 2018 GT. It happens only from a stop or going into reverse. Did the Ford performance half shafts help? Here is what mine sounds like.

thats exactly what mine sounds like also....
I plan to replace the thrust washer and replace the axle nuts, torqing to 150 ft lbs and having red locktite.... will check back in later after I get it done... but after reading many threads, Im pretty confident this should solve the issue.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Found it
Ford DG9Z-7G273-B
Washer - Thrust
not sure this is the same... this looks like a front axle washer... if you look at the design it is more rounded on the contact points...
maybe its fine, but I am seeing f2gz - 7G273 as the part..

Sponsored

K4fxd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt, 2002 FXDWG, 2008 C6,
The parts dept at the dealer I use confirmed the part I posted is the "improved" thrust washer. I have installed them on my car with no problems.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
The parts dept at the dealer I use confirmed the part I posted is the "improved" thrust washer. I have installed them on my car with no problems.
thanks, I will purchase it as well.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Did the washer and the improved axle nut fix your issue? I am chasing a similar clunk.
It's next up on the repair list.... should know soon, but I expect that replacing the washer and axle nut should do the trick. Need to also do this on my explorer.

dogiebitt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Danny
Vehicle(s)
2021 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7L
Vehicle Showcase