2015 GT roush SC

bitterXend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Coupé, US model
What all would I need to get out to replace that part? From what it looks I would be good getting the wheel bearing out (as shown in this video) or is there more to it? Would I need to get something adjusted after that?

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT PP1 A10 Outrageous Orange HPDE mods
What all would I need to get out to replace that part? From what it looks I would be good getting the wheel bearing out (as shown in this video) or is there more to it? Would I need to get something adjusted after that?
Which part - the thrust washer?
Just a 32mm socket and as long of breaker bar as you can find. 24 inch should probably be enough.

In fact you can even do it with the wheel on.

There is a torque spec, but in practice just tighten it as hard as you can. I put a paint pen mark on mine and just check it during conversion for track day.

20220923_083446.jpg

20220923_083226.jpg

Sponsored

bitterXend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Coupé, US model
Wait, are we talking about the thrust washer here or the axle nut? I was talking about the washer.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Wait, are we talking about the thrust washer here or the axle nut? I was talking about the washer.
You have to take the half shaft out of the hub. The washer goes on the half shaft then you put it back in the hub and tighten down the axle nut to 150 ft lbs + 1/8 turn with red loctite.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
I thought the washer was under the nut and outside of the hub. If not, then My Bad! Or maybe there are two washers - one inside and one outside?
look at my pic july 26th.... there are multiple versions of the washer, but the principle is the same.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
Hmm. Good to know.

I have an occasional clunking sound from the rear end at slow speeds, often when letting off the gas. It kinda feels like something is a bit loose. Almost like severe backlash in the diff gears even though I know that's impossible (i.e. huge amount of backlash).

I would think it could be an A10 downshift symptom but it definitely feels like it's coming from the rear.

Sponsored

Grimmer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT Manual
I get a clunk sound after heavier than normal braking and changing direction. For example, if I back out of the driveway with enough speed and brake hard enough it seems to "pre-load" the clunk perpetrator. Then when I start to move forward I get the clunk. Same goes for braking to stop moving forward then I get the clunk when I start moving backward.

I originally thought it would be the bake pads moving against one side within the calipers, then slapping the opposite side when the direction is reversed. However, I have not been able to detect any looseness or movement for the pad or the calipers.

Does this sound familiar to anyone that has experienced the worn out thrust washers? Perhaps that is the source of my clunk? I have not detected any play on the rear wheels and the only play on the front has been due to worn ball joints.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
I have that same symptom, i.e. when reversing direction just as you say. I had the wife listening up front and it comes from both sides. If you drop a loose brake pad on the floor and note it's sound, you will realize that it has the same character as the offending sound. So I concluded that it is the pads shifting up and down within the calipers. Once they set in either direction, the sound does not repeat until a subsequent reversal of direction.

bitterXend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Coupé, US model
You have to take the half shaft out of the hub. The washer goes on the half shaft then you put it back in the hub and tighten down the axle nut to 150 ft lbs + 1/8 turn with red loctite.
That's what I was looking for, thank you. I am not quite sure if I feel confident to do that on my own. If I decided to do that, is it just losen and tighten nuts and screws or would something need to be aligned afterwards? If the latter I am definitely not going to do that myself.

GTP

Deutsche Pony
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.BambergAudio.com
First Name
Philip
Vehicle(s)
It's not that bad. Not as bad as RLCA bushing.

The trickiest part is switching among various sockets and extensions because the four bolts on the hub backside don't have the best direct access.

It won't affect alignment.

bitterXend

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Coupé, US model
It's not that bad. Not as bad as RLCA bushing.

The trickiest part is switching among various sockets and extensions because the four bolts on the hub backside don't have the best direct access.

It won't affect alignment.

Would it work to follow this video up to the 4 minute mark and be done with it? If so I order the washer from Ford next week and replace the new axle nut I have lying around and the washer in one sitting.

Also sorry for the many questions, I have just never done such in depth work besides taking of the wheels down there.
Sponsored

Last edited: