Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Interesting the paranoia on this to me.
I have AAA and in 24+ years of Mustang ownership I haven’t been stranded by a flat.
When needed AAA has always been great for my lowered performance Mustangs.
Definitely would question the need to worry about not having a spare every time driving the car.
-J
In 3.5 years of Gt350 ownership I had 3 flats/screws in tires. That was in about 13,000 miles.
Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Definitely no fun, Ron which makes it well worth it to have a spare. John's recent experience with an incapable wrecker service brings back lousy memories of previous flats.

I know it's doable but finding the right source and a reasonable price may be beyond problematic.

Dcgtconv

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Darryl
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500KR, 2009 GT500KR, '69Mach1 SCJ, '68 Conv
My car was delivered with a spare tire mounted in the trunk, it’s a law here in the Middle East. The spare is a full sized front 305 with a Michelin P4S. As you can imagine this makes the trunk unusable.

When I took delivery of my 2015 GT3, Porsche put the spare on the passenger seat as it didn’t fit in the frunk. This damaged the seat cushion requiring a replacement. By the time my GT3 RS came, Porsche got smart and included a fancy foam holder for the spare so the carbon seats don’t get damaged.
Hi, can you send us a pic of the trunk space with the full size spare?

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
Definitely no fun, Ron which makes it well worth it to have a spare. John's recent experience with an incapable wrecker service brings back lousy memories of previous flats.

I know it's doable but finding the right source and a reasonable price may be beyond problematic.
The driver of my wrecker was actually quite good. He was patient and let us take our time blocking up the car. He didn’t have enough boards, but when my brother arrived, he had a saw. So, we were able to make what we had work.

These cars are just so low, everything has to be absolutely perfect to make it work. Buying a trailer was something I wanted to do down the road. This experience just accelerated the timetable. Now, when something goes wrong, I have the tools to solve my one problems.

Sponsored

Big John

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 CFTP
KB: It’s very nice for the money. It’s air ride and will dump the air to lower the trailer. It tilts, has a winch and hydraulic lift jack. Originally I wanted an enclosed trailer, but for the money this was a fantastic deal. More importantly, I was able to pick it up off a lot with no waiting.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
John: The trailer sounds perfect and I hope it can spend most of its days indoors. For folks like Jamie and others who attend multiple events around the country regularly, enclosed is clearly the way to go if for no other reason than having a garage for the car at night during an event.

I unfortunately, have nowhere to store something like that and even the size of yours would cramp my limited space.

As it happens, I went to my first "car show" yesterday and met a guy with a wrecker service who clearly knew what he was talking about. His business card went directly into my wallet. :-)

But for the most likely reason, a flat or tread sep, having that spare ready to go would be SO nice. For me, who will never take the car on a trip of any length, even just having the mounted spare at home in the garage to easily be picked up and brought to the rescue would be NBD. Ditto for the electric scissors jack. Being able to carry the spare would be even better but for me, not a deal breaker.

KB

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
T @50 Deep looks like you have 4 of us. Let’s do this.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

Ronp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ron
Vehicle(s)
'22 GT500, Iconic, '19 F150 ScrewFX4
Ok guys, can each of you DM me your phone numbers (Except for Surfergeek)? I want to do a little group chat on this.
DM sent

Sponsored

gfcobra04

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicle(s)
2000 Cobra R, 94 Lightning, 2020 GT500
I post up back on post #10 I’m interested.
Sending pm

Unclepetey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Hi, can you send us a pic of the trunk space with the full size spare?
I took the spare out and it’s in storage. Was a pain to get it out as the wheel barely fits in the trunk and it’s super heavy. The wheel is kept in position with a threaded rod that screws into the area below the trunk. There is a hole cut in the carpeting (badly). I also have a Ford fire extinguisher lol, looks like a $10 Home Depot special, still better than my $500 ferrari one.

50 Deep

Signature Wheel Ford Rep
Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.signaturewheel.com
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Ok gents, you all continue to drive the market. Sounds like we will be getting this spare wheel project off the ground. In order for this to work we need 4 people or more to make it somewhat cost effective. This entails building 4 or more of the exact same wheel in the same size/color. Currently, we have four interested and can add additional for anyone interested.

We will be building Gloss Black Signature Wheel Track Series SV502. Built in a 20x8 wheel that will bolt directly on to the front and rear of the car. The tire will not be included, but you can choose from various sizes on your own that keep a similar overall diameter as the factory wheel.

Cost on the wheel alone will be $850 each. If you want one please let me know by 11/20/20, as I want these delivered to you all by Christmas. Also do not want to keep the 4 horsemen that have committed waiting.

I do not expect this to fit in the spare wheel well. Best move here is a tire tote and toss it in the trunk on long trips or track days. This way if you damage the tire/wheel on the car you have some covering to put it in when you swap on the spare.

Unclepetey

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Peter
Vehicle(s)
GT500
Some manufacturers include a collapsible spare, saves weight and space. I have a few laying around the house...

AMBJR

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
ALLEN
Vehicle(s)
03 Mustang Cobra-20 GT500
Ok gents, you all continue to drive the market. Sounds like we will be getting this spare wheel project off the ground. In order for this to work we need 4 people or more to make it somewhat cost effective. This entails building 4 or more of the exact same wheel in the same size/color. Currently, we have four interested and can add additional for anyone interested.

We will be building Gloss Black Signature Wheel Track Series SV502. Built in a 20x8 wheel that will bolt directly on to the front and rear of the car. The tire will not be included, but you can choose from various sizes on your own that keep a similar overall diameter as the factory wheel.

Cost on the wheel alone will be $850 each. If you want one please let me know by 11/20/20, as I want these delivered to you all by Christmas. Also do not want to keep the 4 horsemen that have committed waiting.

I do not expect this to fit in the spare wheel well. Best move here is a tire tote and toss it in the trunk on long trips or track days. This way if you damage the tire/wheel on the car you have some covering to put it in when you swap on the spare.
I only found two Spare Tires: Continental-SCONTACT-T145/60R20 @ $215 And Pirelli-Spare Type-T155/65R20 @ $135!!!
Sponsored