vxer1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT PP 6 Spd Manual
Vehicle Showcase
Took my 2015 Mustang GT to Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin on Oct. of 2019 to do a baseline run before mods. Best run was 12.88 at 111 mph and it took some work to get there. Car has the performance package and a 6 speed manual. 60ft was 2.011 with Nitto street tires. I added 10" Performance Pack look alike wheels from American Muscle; 1/2" wider than stock and a few pounds lighter. Also added a J&M rear vertical link with spherical rod ends. Then I added an Injen closed box cold air intake. Ran again on June 7 at the same track. Density altitude was 2000ft vs negative 15ft in October of last year. On Falken Ziex all season tires the car ran a 12.64 at 108.4 mph with a 1.895 60ft time. My conclusion is the intake is working better than the factory intake by a good margin. The car has not even been tuned yet. With all the aftermarket intakes available this one gets my nod. The DA offset any difference in traction as can be seen by the trap speed.
Moostang.jpg
Sponsored

Htk084

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Soon to be stang
Closed box intakes are the way to go, wondering what it would do with similar DA. Good job man!

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
It's a well made factory looking intake for sure. Mine didn't result in much of an improvement from a before and after comparison but I was running on the terrible Pirelli P Zero's. Lucky to get better than a 2.2 60' with them.

BrandonS550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 GT Premium A6
While I'm glad you like the Injen CAI, I don't believe it contributed to your new best e.t as much as you are giving it credit for. That 1.8x 60ft is where your e.t came from. I'd bet your suspension mods and tire selection lent itself better than the intake. Based on the fact that it ran a better e.t at a worse DA, you absolutely picked up some power, but most all of your gains were had at 60ft. Good job getting a 1.8x 60ft on street tires. My auto car (15 gt, 3.15 gear) went the exact same et/mph as yours. Pop an 18 manifold on there with the Injen, do some lu47s and have Palm Beach Dyno get you set up with a E85 tune. Thats a game changer. Pulling to 7800rpm is amazing.

OP
OP
vxer1000

vxer1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
While I'm glad you like the Injen CAI, I don't believe it contributed to your new best e.t as much as you are giving it credit for. That 1.8x 60ft is where your e.t came from. I'd bet your suspension mods and tire selection lent itself better than the intake. Based on the fact that it ran a better e.t at a worse DA, you absolutely picked up some power, but most all of your gains were had at 60ft. Good job getting a 1.8x 60ft on street tires. My auto car (15 gt, 3.15 gear) went the exact same et/mph as yours. Pop an 18 manifold on there with the Injen, do some lu47s and have Palm Beach Dyno get you set up with a E85 tune. Thats a game changer. Pulling to 7800rpm is amazing.
Sounds like a plan. I already have the 2018 manifold coming as well as Stainless Works 1 7/8 headers and working with Steeda on the tune. I honestly believe the intake is helping quite a bit through the midrange. I lined up against a number of Mustangs that day and flat smoked them. It was a bracket race day, so the guys testing and tuning had to sit and wait for 20 minutes to a half hour between runs and let the cars heat soak. Intake temps jumped to about 130 degrees when I made it to the starting line.

Sponsored

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
If you correct for DA, the mph is the same (111 mph for both runs). The mph is probably a better indicator of power made, since the e.t. is so dependent on your (improved) 60'.

OP
OP
vxer1000

vxer1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
If you correct for DA, the mph is the same (111 mph for both runs). The mph is probably a better indicator of power made, since the e.t. is so dependent on your (improved) 60'.
The problem with the trap speed is the car is hitting the rev limiter almost 100ft before the timing lights at the end of the track during both runs. That's why I believe the intake is making the bigger difference in the midrange. The 60ft time was .116 seconds quicker, but when you factor in the 2000ft difference in DA it's obvious the car is pulling harder in the middle.

Last edited:

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The problem with the trap speed is the car is hitting the rev limiter almost 100ft before the timing lights at the end of the track during both runs. That's why I believe the intake is making the bigger difference in the midrange. The 60ft time was .155 seconds quicker, but when you factor in the 2000ft difference in DA it's obvious the car is pulling harder in the middle.
Interesting. So instead of shifting you are just wringing it out to prevent losing time due to the shift? That would make sense why the trap speeds are the same but the e.t. is much better. Adjusting the 12.64 for DA brings it into the 12.3s. I understand now.

So basically you're hitting 111 mph 1/2 second sooner. I agree that is a nice improvement.

Magony15

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GTPP Base/Prem, 2009 Ram 1500
MT 28 x 11.50 Bias Ply’s will allow you to cross the line without hitting the rev limiter. Preserve the half shafts too. Obviously a tune will allow every gear to rev higher.

jrsimon27

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang GT 2016 PP
Took my 2015 Mustang GT to Great Lakes Dragaway in Wisconsin on Oct. of 2019 to do a baseline run before mods. Best run was 12.88 at 111 mph and it took some work to get there. Car has the performance package and a 6 speed manual. 60ft was 2.011 with Nitto street tires. I added 10" Performance Pack look alike wheels from American Muscle; 1/2" wider than stock and a few pounds lighter. Also added a J&M rear vertical link with spherical rod ends. Then I added an Injen closed box cold air intake. Ran again on June 7 at the same track. Density altitude was 2000ft vs negative 15ft in October of last year. On Falken Ziex all season tires the car ran a 12.64 at 108.4 mph with a 1.895 60ft time. My conclusion is the intake is working better than the factory intake by a good margin. The car has not even been tuned yet. With all the aftermarket intakes available this one gets my nod. The DA offset any difference in traction as can be seen by the trap speed.
Moostang.jpg
Your 60ft is what help you do a lower ET.
The trapspeed was lower do to a higher DA
Using a calculator you trapped the same 111mph and maybe a little lower. I dont think the airfilter is helping that much.

Sponsored

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium, 50 Years Pkg, DIB, MT82
Thats great! I love the Injen and would like to get it someday. Nice design and not as commonly seen. I decided to use the money for a tune and just get a drop in AFE for now.

Are you going to dremel to increase the opening when you do the tune? I always wondered how that would go with the intake and if its worth it just on a bolt on car, or best to leave it alone.

OP
OP
vxer1000

vxer1000

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Vince
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Thats great! I love the Injen and would like to get it someday. Nice design and not as commonly seen. I decided to use the money for a tune and just get a drop in AFE for now.

Are you going to dremel to increase the opening when you do the tune? I always wondered how that would go with the intake and if its worth it just on a bolt on car, or best to leave it alone.
I do plan on opening up the grill whether I go aftermarket (likely choice) or using a dremel to clear the blocked honeycomb.

DeepImpactCoyote15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Paul
Vehicle(s)
15 Mustang GT Premium, 50 Years Pkg, DIB, MT82
I do plan on opening up the grill whether I go aftermarket (likely choice) or using a dremel to clear the blocked honeycomb.
OH I mean the MAF opening on the intake, I believe you can open it up to 105MM or so and have it tuned for that. Honeycomb mod is great too

Blown86GT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT
I'm going to play devils advocate and say your improved ET was based on the DA. Why? Lower power=better traction for improved 60ft. I'm not following the logic how the intake is responsible...
Sponsored