Sponsored

Real quick question to the A10 people who use the paddles.

90Notch

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver GT PP1 A10
I usually only use the paddles when I'm about to rip through a few gears getting on the freeway. If I'm using the paddles from a stop, I use second gear. First gear is short and I don't like having to shift immediately, sounds like I'm racing the minivan next to me lol. I rarely use the paddles this way though, unless I want someone to hear me coming/going. I feel like it shifts kinda crappy at lower rpms with the paddles, hesitates sometimes. I get a much crisper shift at 4k and up.

Normally, I warm it up in D then keep it in S mode and let it shift itself. There's always power close when cruising the freeway in S.
Sponsored

silverflash

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bill
Vehicle(s)
2019 mustang gt PP1
i just started using sport mode in my 2019 pp1. i have had the car now going on 6 months and have 2000 miles on her so i don't drive it alot. The few times i did use them, it confused me. though i confuse easily. the confusion comes from me not knowing how to get it back in auto. seems you are supposed to hold the + paddle till it does? but all that does is upshift to 10.

wanted33

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jim
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Convertible, 2006 GT Coupe
As stated there's no ideal answer, and it does depend on how you're driving the car at the time. Easy, or spirited. Myself, I'm old school. I listen to the engine and it tells me the right time to shift. It's the sound I'm listening too. And surely I can't describe that to you. Wish I could.

w3rkn

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
bmw 135is(sold)
My wife got revved at yesterday, and asked me how I rev the engine up while driving. She's never driven a car with paddles, so it was a revelation.
What do you mean..? What was a revelation?

lew

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
lew
Vehicle(s)
19 GT, 23 STX 4wd. TT, 19 BMW X4 M40i, 15 800r
I get some rev matching when downshifting with paddles. I kinda like the engine braking when using sport mode. When in auto the transmission will upshift when coasting after a pull.
There are times when you could use the added drag of the motor when diving into turns with the throttle backed off.
Might gripe is that the paddles do not allow for any slippage to occur when up shifting. I am an old school gear head who likes the control of a manual clutch. Second guessing my choice of getting the auto now.

I think it was a play on words. Rev-Elation

Sponsored

NorthernBeast

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black '17 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Hey everyone, I have a question to the A10 people who use the paddles to shift,
At what RPMs do you shift?
I usually shift around 3,000 but it still don't seem/sound right, little insight?
TIA
You can shift whenever you want in manual mode up until the red line. In 1st gear in my GT I shift early at say 2,500 RPM unless I'm going full throttle or on it. I do this because 1st is so short because there's 10 gears.

4sdvenom

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ken
Vehicle(s)
2003 Mustang Cobra
Drop to a lower gear and send it. Neutral would just result in it bouncing off the 4k limiter. Also, I had to read back for context on this 1.5 year old comment :crackup:
Damnit that’s twice the “What’s New” tab has done that to me! I thought it was for newly posted threads, but I’m starting to think that’s not the case lol.

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
Damnit that’s twice the “What’s New” tab has done that to me! I thought it was for newly posted threads, but I’m starting to think that’s not the case lol.
Yep, I just got trapped by that too. In any event, I don’t paddle very often but when I do I tap as the tach reaches 4 grand, which in the normal mode on the digital dash is at 12 o’clock, which is visually good for my peripheral vision. It revs a bit past due to the lag, which I figure is about as close to peak power as I can get. That said, I’m just as happy to shift to S and let the tranny figure it out.

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
The whole point of the paddles is to shift when you want to shift...

I use them 90% of the time after the car is warmed up
Sponsored