akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Good night from Spain.
A week ago I had the fourth service of my 2016 ford Mustang GT automatic (oil and filter change, spark plugs, cabin filter). But as soon as I left the workshop I noticed a noise that I had never heard before, a rattle, "tacatacatacataca". I stopped to take a look to see if it was something from the glove compartment, but as it was disappearing I thought that by touching there I had solved it.
But no, every time I start the car from cold, and when the car moves, not before, at about 20-30 km / h there is that rattling sound. I have uploaded a video, sorry for my comments, but if you listen carefully you can hear that rattle. As I drive the car, the noise decreases until it finally disappears after about 5 minutes. Even when starting afterwards already hot, it does not make that noise until it is stopped for at least two hours. ItĀ“s like when the system gets warm the rattle sound does not exist.

What the hell have they touched in the workshop to make that noise? I've never done it before. I guess since it only occurs during movement it must be something to do with the drive shaft or gearbox. But I wanted to ask if it happened to any of you, or do you have any idea what it might be due to. Thank you very much for your time in attending this query.

Edit: IĀ“ve cheked again from cold start, IĀ“ve recorded another video, longer. IĀ“m starting to think there is some kind of objet, paper, sticker, plastic, that makes that kind of rattle. ItĀ“s not related to engine, the noise only reacts with the speed, no matter if I accelerato or decelerate, the frecuency of the rattle goes up as the speed increases. ItĀ“s like a paper shaking with the wind, or when you hit it against a bicyble wheel spokes. Have a look a it.
IĀ“ve gone to wash the car to a high pressure Karcher spear. I applied a generous spray on the ground of the chasis if there is something I can remove from there. After it, the noise is 0, nothing, but for the moment is not a victory. In previous times after some driving, then the noise dissapears, thatĀ“s the most anoying part, but still thinking about there is something that is shaking, maybe in the drive shaft? ItĀ“s a pity I donĀ“t have an elevator for a quick review.

Mustang rattle
Sponsored

Last edited:

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Did you check your oil level?

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Did you check your oil level?
No, I didnĀ“t. But I have updated my initial post. Have a look a it if you consider I still have to check the oil level.

SoulHunter91

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Twister Orange
If you are 100% sure the noise is not from engine, you can check the area near radiator fans. See if any cables or something stuck on the blades. Check all hose connection.

vintage1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT PP

Sponsored

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
No, I didnĀ“t. But I have updated my initial post. Have a look a it if you consider I still have to check the oil level.
Hopefully you've sorted this out.

None the less, check your oil level. Some places don't realize how much oil these engines actually take.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
If you are 100% sure the noise is not from engine, you can check the area near radiator fans. See if any cables or something stuck on the blades. Check all hose connection.
Checked the radiator fans. I have turned them by hand. They spin freely.

Hi There,
I believe your barcode sticker is loose on the driveshaft, spinning and hitting the body!
I had this. See the thread below. It sounds like the same issue the way you describe and by the video. Good luck. Here is the original thread. A few members have reported this.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...om-gear-shift-area-fixed.120862/#post-2531021
Thank you. Your post and link are very interesting. Many of the issues you describe match with what happens to me. The sticker on the drive shaft could be the cause. The only thing that causes me uncertainty is that when the car has already warmed up, if I stop driving and then move again, the noise disappears, it is as if the heat has produced some kind of expansion that has produced that the loose object does not have room to move, or if it were that sticker you are explained, as that zone is hot, it would have stuck a bit back to the driving shaft. But at 3 or 4 hours, it makes that noise again. I don't know if these factors can be compatible with your bet.

Hopefully you've sorted this out.

None the less, check your oil level. Some places don't realize how much oil these engines actually take.
IĀ“m afraid that the rattle is still there, as it happened before. After cooling the car 3-4 hours, the noise come back. Anyway I have cheked the oil level and itĀ“s full, perfect measure.

I have an appointment with Ford on Tuesday. LetĀ“s get the car into the elevator, and finger crossed if they can sort out easily this disturbing noise.

Thank you all for your comments. Stay tuned the following days for news.

1606086970145.png

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Very hard to hear, only thing I here is exhaust drone and a turn signal.

Better option, maybe on a straight away. Ge going hear the sound, slip in neutral, coasting let the motor idle. make your recording.

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
For what I could tell from that video, that noise doesn't sound like anything mechanical at all IMO, so guess that's good news. The bad news is what the hell is it? Sounds like something made of plastic and/or paper is hitting a rotating part, or being hit by a rotating part indeed, like somebody suggested about a label. It could even be the very edge of a heat shield.

What I'd do myself is put the car on jack stands at the rear, start the engine, put tranny in 1st gear, release clutch, and get under the car to investigate the noise. You could use 2nd or even 3rd gear if you need to rotate the wheels faster. Idle speed should be enough to hear the noise, even if at a slower frequency. If you take it to a dealer, you'd have to leave it overnight, since the drivetrain has to be cold. Good luck man.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
Hi There,
I believe your barcode sticker is loose on the driveshaft, spinning and hitting the body!
I had this. See the thread below. It sounds like the same issue the way you describe and by the video. Good luck. Here is the original thread. A few members have reported this.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...om-gear-shift-area-fixed.120862/#post-2531021
Very hard to hear, only thing I here is exhaust drone and a turn signal.

Better option, maybe on a straight away. Ge going hear the sound, slip in neutral, coasting let the motor idle. make your recording.
For what I could tell from that video, that noise doesn't sound like anything mechanical at all IMO, so guess that's good news. The bad news is what the hell is it? Sounds like something made of plastic and/or paper is hitting a rotating part, or being hit by a rotating part indeed, like somebody suggested about a label. It could even be the very edge of a heat shield.

What I'd do myself is put the car on jack stands at the rear, start the engine, put tranny in 1st gear, release clutch, and get under the car to investigate the noise. You could use 2nd or even 3rd gear if you need to rotate the wheels faster. Idle speed should be enough to hear the noise, even if at a slower frequency. If you take it to a dealer, you'd have to leave it overnight, since the drivetrain has to be cold. Good luck man.
Well, I tell the chronicle of today in my appointment with the Ford dealer in my city:

8:30: I leave the car at Ford. The noise from my home to Ford is there, but when I arrive, I stop the car and the noise at that time no longer makes it because, as I already told before when it is warm, and it stops, it no longer makes the noise until it cools down again.

12:00 I receive a message that the panel used to access the oil filter has been tightened further. They say they have driven it and it no longer makes noise. "Great". I'll go at 3:00 p.m. for him.

15:00: I arrive at Ford, I tell the shop manager to get in the car with me to test it. We started, damn it! the noise is still there.! That morning's work was useless. We both agree that the noise comes from the central area, under the cup holders. He tells me that I will have to leave the car for them for at least 4 days to test things, remove parts, put parts on. My face was terrified of what they might be able to do to the car. Remember, I live in Spain. Here, a Mustang is an exotic car.

I ask him if they can take the car back to the elevator and go with them to tell them to check for any loose stickers on the drive shaft. They say Ok. I got under the car: there it was, the happy sticker hanging, and I could see that it had rubbered the walls of the central tunnel. "Got you," I thought. The sticker is removed. I drive the car home and wait a few hours to test it later when is cold. 4 hours later I drive it again. Victory! It no longer makes noise!. The problem was a simple sticker that was giving me a headache. I would like to see the face of the shop manager when IĀ“ll tell him that the problem that would take 4 days to solve it is a simple sticker.

So I can only say : many many thanks to this forum, to the people of the USA and Canada for your contributions, they have been fundamental to find out the origin of the noise, and especially to @vintage1 , you have won the jackpot. You nailed it, boy.

Here is the drive shaft with the sticker removed.

1g3CJ2z.jpg

And here is the f*cking s*it sticker. IĀ“m gonna burn it three times.

s2b8geu.jpg

Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I'm going to remove it when I adjust the parking brake one of these days :). Glad you found the culprit... and it was something stupid.

OP
OP

akmon

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Alberto
Vehicle(s)
Ford Mustang GT
By the way, looking at the picture again, I have realized that I don't have heat insulation pannels around the central tunnel. How is It possible?
Sponsored