Sponsored

Rattling noise when pushing in clutch at low speeds

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350, 2021 Bronco Sport Outerbanks
Good Morning,

Since i purchased this car with 4400 miles (now at 10k) i have noticed a rattling sound when engaging the clutch at low speeds (under 20mph).

It is very noticeable especially when the windows are down and sometimes sounds like someone is dropping cans out of the car. I have noticed a little surging when trying to be super smooth but that is probably operator error. Otherwise the car drives perfectly.

Is this normal or is it my throwout bearing?
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rapid Red

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
GT PP2 RaceRed Roush> Steeda> preformance
Vehicle Showcase
Hard to say, but don't think it would be the throw-out bearing, especially with only 10k on the clock.

The sound you describe sounds more like sheet metal rattling, exhaust components come to mind.

If it is consistent and repeatable, slow roll the car with the door open and see if you can tell what end of the vehicle it is coming from.

Start looking there

OP
OP
Saxgod

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hard to say, but don't think it would be the throw-out bearing, especially with only 10k on the clock.

The sound you describe sounds more like sheet metal rattling, exhaust components come to mind.

If it is consistent and repeatable, slow roll the car with the door open and see if you can tell what end of the vehicle it is coming from.

Start looking there
thank you, its a little more clunky than rattly lol if that helps. like you can almost hear something turning and clunking. Usually only in 1st or 2nd super slow speeds.

I may try to strap a gopro under the car to get some better sound.

Thank you!

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
If youā€™re talking clunking noises at super slow speeds, it sounds like driveline backlash, which is normal. Can you put the car on jack stands, crawl underneath and put the car in 1st gear and rotate the driveshaft back and forth? There will be some freeplay and you will hear clunking sounds. If this sounds similar to what youā€™re hearing then thatā€™s likely what it is. Maybe even have a friend rotate the shaft while you sit in the car to see if it sounds the same to you.

drummerboy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350
^^ @NGOT8R nailed it. I typically only notice it when I'm backing in at 3mph and I'm on and off the clutch, but yeah, at slow speeds you'll hear/feel a short clunk when you first push the pedal in.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Saxgod

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thank you guys. Thatā€™s exactly what it feels like too. I didnā€™t realize the drivetrain was that loose. Iā€™ve had a lot of manual transmissions cars including a 2011 gt500 and hadnā€™t had this level. Itā€™s a feature not a bug šŸ˜‚

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
Hereā€™s a video demonstration the clunking associated with drivetrain backlash.

OP
OP
Saxgod

Saxgod

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Hereā€™s a video demonstration the clunking associated with drivetrain backlash.

thank you again! at least i know its not something i broke.
Sponsored