Sponsored

Rattle/buzzing noise, perhaps center arm rest storage console behind the shifter?

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1 Premium. 6MT, Blue, upgraded wheels
This rattling noise, which to me sounds like a plastic type rattle or flutter or buzzing, occurs at 1250rpm and is most prominent up to 2K. Not really noticeable in first gear but certainly in 3rd and 4th. The best way to recreate it is to drive in 3rd or 4th accelerate and then on deceleration at the proper RPM the rattle is loud. Its hard to pinpoint but it feels like it is in the transmission tunnel under the arm rest or inside the center arm rest storage container. Once your her it, it gets into your head its annoying. Its my first fit and finish issue with the car. Sounds like something plastic is resting against a vibrating part of the car. This happens in gear or rolling in neutral at like 25-40mph.

Try and play with your bass level to pick it up on this video, sounds way different on the phone compared to computer. I turned exhaust into quiet to help us hear.

Sponsored

Stang 19

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500 Ford Performance Blue
I have had some buzzing coming from hvac vent to left of steering wheel on my 11, 17 and 19.

Cobrajet70

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jamie
Vehicle(s)
21 Mach 1 Hp
Vehicle Showcase
its near impossible to say what it is, its difficult as is to figure out originators in person. It could be anything from a bracket or a nut plate underneath everything, the exhaust harmonics, fit and finish or something just not bonded right.
Ford states if its not audible over the HVAC running and the radio at a reasonable level its concerned normal. And what I get from that and my experience is, its a ford, if its doesn't make some noise from the interior or suspension, it will.

If you have a friend that can ride alone see if they can pin point it better, and if you have basic hand tools the center console comes out very easily, its just a few 7 and 10 mils and every thing else clips and can be pulled by hand with out damage. You can find foam tape at most hardware stores if you find something that's buzzing as you pull trim. Cup holders tend to buzz, check the seat belts buzzing off the console too, as I said it could be anything including the exhaust harmonics hitting the right frequency to get something buzzing and it might even be inside the car.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Check the support bracket around the two peice driveshaft at the junction. Its right there and there is a small metal plate thats rivetted on with two rivets in a way where if they loosen at all it will rattle. I think its there to shield the exhaust from grease which might come off the support collar or something

Your description sounds exactly like the location and conditions mine would rattle. Some metal ducting tape shut it up.

And yes, I disassembled nearly the entire car before I figured this out.

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
I have the same noise as Sakman84. I tried adjusting the E brake cable and the noise Is still there. Did you get this resolved Sakman84?

Sponsored

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
I have the same noise as Sakman84. I tried adjusting the E brake cable and the noise Is still there. Did you get this resolved Sakman84?
I have not had the time to get it up on a lift for a look. Maybe I will try that next couple of days. Funny thing the sound is now intermittent, doesn't always do it like before.

I will certainly look out for the sticker on drive shaft as reported by Akmon and others.

Will report back

Mikeo97

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
MB
Vehicle(s)
2021 GT Convertible
Thanks for the help guys. I pulled the sticker off of the driveline, adjusted the emergency brake cable and I still hear the rattle noise. :(
The noise surfaces between 25 mph and 40 mph.

S550VIN54

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Stephen
Vehicle(s)
2021 FJG Mach 1 HP
I had a heat shield that was touching the exhaust which made a metallic sound but this sounds much different. Hope u find it!

Sponsored

RunsWithScissors

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Gt
Ever figure out what the cause was? I have a 21 hp car thats making the same noise.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
No I have not been able to fix it. Ford dealer took my passenger seat out to replace the seat cover on it. I was hoping for a miracle that it would be some how related to the seat and get fixed by reinstalling the seat, alas no change.

I got it on a lift and inspected myself with a good mechanic. I did not have a sticker on the drive shaft, the heat shields underneath looked tight. I'm still stumped about it.

I might try and go warranty on it because it is annoying, even if it just a diagnostic visit.
As @Cobrajet70 said, they might not do anything about it.

Wish I had a better update for everyone.

@RunsWithScissors, if you have the 6MT try pulling up on your reverse shifter collar while in gear, no need to move the shifter just pull up on the collar when you are in gear and see if that changes your noises at all. That part is a significant source of NVH, for me it reduced some "hissing" but not this specific buzz/rattle.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...mach-1-with-tremec.178755/page-8#post-3856443

RunsWithScissors

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Clark
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mustang Gt
No I have not been able to fix it. Ford dealer took my passenger seat out to replace the seat cover on it. I was hoping for a miracle that it would be some how related to the seat and get fixed by reinstalling the seat, alas no change.

I got it on a lift and inspected myself with a good mechanic. I did not have a sticker on the drive shaft, the heat shields underneath looked tight. I'm still stumped about it.

I might try and go warranty on it because it is annoying, even if it just a diagnostic visit.

@RunsWithScissors, if you have the 6MT try pulling up on your reverse shifter collar while in gear, no need to move the shifter just pull up on the collar when you are in gear and see if that changes your noises at all. That part is a significant source of NVH, for me it reduced some "hissing" but not this specific buzz/rattle.

https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/th...mach-1-with-tremec.178755/page-8#post-3856443

No luck unfortunately. But I do appreciate the suggestion!

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase

Heat shield on the driveshaft collar specifically? Its small.

OP
OP

sakman84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adam
Vehicle(s)
Heat shield on the driveshaft collar specifically? Its small.
They all looked and felt tight, but to me this is the most likely cause of the noise, so I want to look again. Next time I have it on lift I will be under there checking specifically, thanks for the tip.

I might try for a test drive with techs at Ford , perhaps they have had other complaints and know how to fix it.
Sponsored