Rattle at 2500-3000 RPM from cluth/transmission

2020RaceRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Need opinions. I bought a new 2020 manual GT at the end of October with almost 900 miles (dealer didn't tell me until it got to my dealer). It originally was from a San Antonio, TX Ford dealership, dealer traded to Oklahoma City, OK dealership where my dealer here in the Kansas City area dealer traded for me. I specifically wanted a premium no spoiler car with the 401a manual. With covid/and winter I was not driving much so within 200 miles/3 weeks or so I noticed two issues,
1. That it was at times hard to get into gear at stop lights and I would have to make another attempt to get it into gear.
2. I felt/heard a very...very slight rattle in the clutch.

I took it to the dealer as I mentioned within 3 weeks 1100 miles on it for both issues. They couldn't hear the rattle and said the transmission issue was normal.

The car now has 2600 miles (4.5 months later) and the car has been there 5 times 4-because the transmission once/most recent visit for the sound in the clutch as it has gotten much louder. I am hearing the rattle/feeling the vibration about about 2500-3000 rpms. It can happen when letter off the accelerator or accelerating. I've been taking it to the purchasing dealer because I am concerned that something happened within that 900 miles and wanting to document it with the dealer but I am getting tired of them tell me that this is normal and they can't hear a noise.

This is not my first mustang, I've owned a 93 cobra and 02 GT, The technology in those was pretty non-existent comparted to now so I am wondering if I am being crazy or if these cars truly have these issues and my thoughts about it are valid? This dealership is 20 miles away, outstanding sales but will never go back to the service department after my last visit. Any feedback is appreciated.
Sponsored

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
Hey, I'm almost sure what you're experiencing is 'normal' behavior, with the possible exception of the hard-to-get-into-gear issue (my car does NOT have that at all). And on that subject, are you fully depressing the clutch, and getting into gear right after doing that? I ask because if you want like a second or so, the tranny would stop spinning in that time, and the gears might be aligned the wrong way, with that result. Another possible issue is that your clutch system has air in the system. Where in the pedal travel your clutch biting?

As far as the noise you're hearing, I bet it's the dreaded '2K rattle', and unfortunately it's normal on these Gen3 Coyotes. And yes, it can be annoying, but it's not detrimental to the engine. And the dual-plate clutch plate and dual-mass flywheel can feel weird (like a momentary slip), and make noises, especially at launches from a dead stop.

Finally, before you waste any more of your time, possibly in vain, my suggestion is to start a thread in your region, and find another 19/20 GT owner (both have the latest D4 tranny improvements) who is willing to either take you for a ride, or drive your car (he probably wouldn't let you drive his, but you could ask. Ha ha), so you can know for sure if you have a real issue or not. Hope this helps.

OP
OP

2020RaceRedGT

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bo
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang GT
Hey, I'm almost sure what you're experiencing is 'normal' behavior, with the possible exception of the hard-to-get-into-gear issue (my car does NOT have that at all). And on that subject, are you fully depressing the clutch, and getting into gear right after doing that? I ask because if you want like a second or so, the tranny would stop spinning in that time, and the gears might be aligned the wrong way, with that result. Another possible issue is that your clutch system has air in the system. Where in the pedal travel your clutch biting?

As far as the noise you're hearing, I bet it's the dreaded '2K rattle', and unfortunately it's normal on these Gen3 Coyotes. And yes, it can be annoying, but it's not detrimental to the engine. And the dual-plate clutch plate and dual-mass flywheel can feel weird (like a momentary slip), and make noises, especially at launches from a dead stop.

Finally, before you waste any more of your time, possibly in vain, my suggestion is to start a thread in your region, and find another 19/20 GT owner (both have the latest D4 tranny improvements) who is willing to either take you for a ride, or drive your car (he probably wouldn't let you drive his, but you could ask. Ha ha), so you can know for sure if you have a real issue or not. Hope this helps.
Thanks for your response.

I am pressing the clutch in all the way. At stop lights I take it out of gear an usually watch for the light to turn yellow for the other traffic then put it in gear. On occasion I have had to make a couple of attempts.

As for the rattle, it is not at launch it is once I accelerate, doesn't have to be a hard acceleration. It will start making a kind of bearing rattling noise. I actually noticed it start around 2000 rpms today and goes away around 3k rpms. I may go try and test drive a manual gt and see if it is doing it. It wasn't this loud when I bought it so that is what is leading me to think it is not normal.

NGOT8R

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Adrian
Vehicle(s)
2019 Bullitt
My ā€˜19 Bullitt does exactly what youā€™re describing OP, only it does it from about 2500 - redline. I think I have pinpointed where the noise is coming from on the transmission. I donā€™t know what theyā€™re called, but Iā€™ll identify them as a pinned pair of black metal weighted arms on the right side of the transmission. If you grab hold of them, you will see that they shake and rattle very easily. Other sources of rattles are interior panels and loose objects in the glovebox etc. You can hear it in this video when I was doing WOT data logging for nitrous.

C1BBDCEE-0309-4DC0-9F2D-375085DB4ACF.png

Elp_jc

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
None
I actually noticed it start around 2000 rpms today and goes away around 3k rpms.
You mentioned several noises, and was trying to address them all. Anyway, the noise quoted above is exactly what I thought you were experiencing: The infamous '2K rattle', that basically every Gen3 Coyote has (and I think Gen2s too). So at least you can get that one out of the way, since it's 'normal'. Sorry for the bad news. Ha ha. And no, nobody knows exactly what it is, but most of us hear it coming from the right side of the engine, so probably related to the direct injection pump (harmonic resonance, cavitation,... who knows). The other possibility is something related to the cam phasers/chains. Some folks blame the tranny, but we'd hear it from below, not in front, but who knows.

Finally, don't know how many miles you have on your car now, but I'd allow your tranny to break in before assuming something is wrong with it. The clutch can also make a loud, weird noise (like grinding) when you shift relatively quickly above 6K rpm, before allowing the engine to drop the rpm to match the next gear (which rev-match does automatically... but you need to allow the engine to drop to that point -after the EPA-induced rev-hang). Hope this helps.

Sponsored

Cobra Jet

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 EB Prem. w/PP and 94 Mustang Cobra
Need opinions. I bought a new 2020 manual GT at the end of October with almost 900 miles (dealer didn't tell me until it got to my dealer). It originally was from a San Antonio, TX Ford dealership, dealer traded to Oklahoma City, OK dealership where my dealer here in the Kansas City area dealer traded for me. I specifically wanted a premium no spoiler car with the 401a manual. With covid/and winter I was not driving much so within 200 miles/3 weeks or so I noticed two issues,
1. That it was at times hard to get into gear at stop lights and I would have to make another attempt to get it into gear.

I took it to the dealer as I mentioned within 3 weeks 1100 miles on it for both issues. They couldn't hear the rattle and said the transmission issue was normal.

The car now has 2600 miles (4.5 months later) and the car has been there 5 times 4-because the transmission once/most recent visit for the sound in the clutch as it has gotten much louder. I am hearing the rattle/feeling the vibration about about 2500-3000 rpms. It can happen when letter off the accelerator or accelerating. I've been taking it to the purchasing dealer because I am concerned that something happened within that 900 miles and wanting to document it with the dealer but I am getting tired of them tell me that this is normal and they can't hear a noise.

This is not my first mustang, I've owned a 93 cobra and 02 GT, The technology in those was pretty non-existent comparted to now so I am wondering if I am being crazy or if these cars truly have these issues and my thoughts about it are valid? This dealership is 20 miles away, outstanding sales but will never go back to the service department after my last visit. Any feedback is appreciated.
Check the trans block spacer plate, itā€™s a common issue across the S550 and F150 platform:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/engine-transmission-plate-noise-fix.115718/

Also check the emergency brake cable and attaching assembly found under the driver side trans tunnel. This has been a known source of metallic rattle as well and is hard to replicate unless in a certain RPM range. The cable is loose and raps against the trans tunnel under certain conditions OR could be touching exhaust mid pipe. How to adjust the cable and assembly:
https://www.mustang6g.com/forums/threads/how-to-adjust-your-parking-brake.25204/

if looking at both from under the car, yes visually they will look ā€œfineā€, but the Tech (or DIYer) needs to take a closer look to make sure both are not a source of the rattle.

GMONSTAH

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT PP1
Vehicle Showcase
2019 GT Manual PP1. Bought the car new with 70 miles on it, now have 16K, have had 2K rattle since about 2.5Kish miles. Went to three separate dealerships. Unfortunately, absolutely normal for these cars. The two competing theories are: 1. DI fuel system, 2. Slight piston slap due to plasma cylinder walls. My rattle has been absolutely constant over all these miles, neither better nor worse. As long as you're not burning oil, it's all good. It doesn't take too much volume on the radio to drown it out, that would be my personal suggestion.

I admit, there are days where it annoys me so much, I want to drive it right into a Toyota dealership, but at the end of the day, it's the most fun I've ever had in a car, and all I have to do is turn up the radio just a hair, and it's gone.

Robert hoffrichter

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2012 Boss --- 2007 Mustang gt

I don't have the new car like you I have the old mt82 but I'm improving my 2012 Boss bringing it up to date with all your new guys horsepower wise and everything else I put a vengeance twin disc in mine, strangely I'm getting the exact symptoms you're talking about as it breaks in the noises that a thousand have gotten less but if I accelerate spiritedly first and second gear it's like I hear a clutch rattle of course as I get going I think the noises are louder with speed I don't hear it in any other gear but if I go half throttle or more under heavy throttle I hear clutch rattle as I'm accelerating I was concerned at first but when I drive normal everything sounds the same as it has for the last five 6,000 miles but I've had this new clutch in these new engines are so loud they make so much noise four valves four cams four chains there's a lot going on and the sound insulation especially in my boss it really doesn't have any I'm just trying to learn to deal with it, I believe it's normal twin disc clutches are so noisy but they work.
Sponsored