Sponsored

Rationale for choosing Ecoboost HPP over GT?

KingKona

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shlomo
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT
I owned a 15 EB pp and now own an 18 10spd pp1 GT. The eb is a sports car and the GT is a muscle car.
The Mustang is a Pony car.
Sponsored

S550 HPP

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Mustang Ecoboost High Performance Package
I own both a 5.0L (2011) and a 2.3L HPP (2022).

For the level of features (Premium trim, B&O, handling package, MangeRide dampers, active exhaust, Brembo brakes, Torsen diff, etc., etc.), the HPP undercuts the price of an equally-optioned 5.0L by a good $12K-$15K, which is a not insignificant difference.

My new 2.3L HPP is faster than my 2011 5.0L. That might not be true for a current 5.0L A10, but what's 3.9sec 0-60 vs. 4.5sec 0-60 worth to you? It wasn't worth it for me, but others are welcome to make their own choice. I don't drag race or track my cars, so theoretical performance numbers don't mean much to me. I go by feel and fun factor. The HPP ain't slow. A Base 6spd GT is not faster than an HPP A10.

The 2.3L HPP handling is sublime, and F/R weight balance is near 50-50. The HPP feels like a sharp-edge scalpel, whereas the 5.0L feels a bit like a blunt instrument (my opinion, others may disagree). The 5.0L feels somewhat nose-heavy to me.

5.0L definitely sounds better - there's nothing like a Coyote at full song. The HPP sounds...different. It's definitely no V8, but it does sound far better than the regular 2.3L. The HPP barks loud enough that my wife and neighbors hate it. :cwl: Thank God for Quiet Start!

The 2.3L gets vastly better gas mileage than the V8. I get ~23mpg around town and up to 28-30mpg highway. Given that the 2.3L runs best on premium fuel, and premium is stupid expensive these days, fuel economy was a factor in my purchase decision.

I live in a cold-weather state where summer tires make zero sense, and I also prefer a "square" setup to permit regular tire rotations, so a GT with handling package and staggered tires didn't work for my needs.

I paid $45,250 out the door for my fully loaded HPP after taxes, fees, and all discounts. Sure, I could have gotten a Base GT for the same money, or even less, but I'm not interested in the low-rent interior and skinny 235/50R18 tires. I just priced out an equally-optioned GT Premium with Handling Pack/MangeRide/etc: $60,000. At that point, I'd just get a Mach 1, but then I'm $15-$20K over what I paid.

BUT - having said all this, here's the bottom line: everyone should buy what THEY want, not what someone else's opinion is saying. If you can't live without a V8, get the GT - the 5.0L is amazing. If you're into turbos, great - get a 2.3L. If you want something a bit more-high-strung and unique, get the HPP - it is an evil beast of an engine. If you want the automotive equivalent of a nuke detonating in your driveway, then the GT500 is your choice. If the lure of an >8000rpm screamer sounds enticing, a previously-owned GT350 is always a fun choice.

I've driven all of them. Each version has its own merits and downsides. Pick the one that checks all the right boxes for YOU, not someone else.

TrueBlue totally gets it. I ordered by HPP w/HP MT-82 very early in Feb 2020. and wanted a Mustang since '79. I test drove a standard EB manual, a HPP A10 w/o HP, a GT with the A10 and a GT manual.

Also I drove a 2019 EB premium convertible on the Big Island in 2019 for two weeks, so I was well aware of what driving an EB A10 would be like.

I wanted a Mustang fastback with max options and when I priced mine with every option minus Recaros and the A10, the GT was $12K more. I didn't think I would enjoy the V8 $12K more than the HPP w/HP.

Having said that, I know there are folks who count the world lost if a Mustang doesn't have a V8. But come on, the allure of the Mustang has always been that it can be ordered the way you want it. Some of the first Mustangs in April of '64 had inline sixes with automatics that were nothing but fancy Falcons . . . and zillions were sold in months.

For every GT owner that looks down on the HPP driver, there is some M1 driver wondering why you got just a GT. Or some GT500 enthusiast that thinks if you don't drive a Shelby, you are missing out.

This Mustang on Mustang violence should end. We need to turn our venom towards the real enemy: Camaro drivers. 😁

Last edited:

ShadesOfBloo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Datsun wagon, 92 240SX, 08 Evo, 20 Mustang GT
The 2.3L HPP handling is sublime... The HPP feels like a sharp-edge scalpel, whereas the 5.0L feels a bit like a blunt instrument (my opinion, others may disagree). The 5.0L feels somewhat nose-heavy to me.

5.0L definitely sounds better - there's nothing like a Coyote at full song. The HPP sounds...different. It's definitely no V8, but it does sound far better than the regular 2.3L. The HPP barks loud enough that my wife and neighbors hate it. :cwl: Thank God for Quiet Start!

The 2.3L gets vastly better gas mileage than the V8. I get ~23mpg around town and up to 28-30mpg highway. Given that the 2.3L runs best on premium fuel, and premium is stupid expensive these days, fuel economy was a factor in my purchase decision.
All of those things were considerations for me.
In my case, I did not consider a base GT. I wasn't going to settle for base suspension or brakes, so it was a choice between HPP with the extra handling option, or a GT-PP.
(And after my experience driving an A10 one weekend, I never considered an A10 again.)

After I watched (and listened to) a lot of YouTube videos the sound became more of a consideration and I had to run it by my sister. (There was no point asking my girlfriend. She didn't care.) It soon became apparent that if I bought a Mustang it had to have a V8.

As I predicted, I hardly ever wind it out, so I'm paying for gas and insurance on power I'm not using.
It also feels really ponderous compared to all my other cars, and I don't think the lighter engine would have helped much. You can get the EB-HPP, and it's still really big for a 2-door, and still has EPAS.

But my GT has highway gears and the torque to turn them, and sounds like it. 👍

Last edited:

Sponsored

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
it was 2:1 in favor of EB last I remember. In GT-land the trans were (for a while anyway) approx 1:1 but 2020+ that may have changed. In EB it was overwhelming 10AT over 6MT.

Don't ask for citation, I don't remember/can't find it again.
All I know is that in my part of Toronto, I see, at a minimum, 5 EBs for every GT. I’m quite happy with my loaded EB. At the time, list for a similarly equipped GT was another CDN$11K, or about 20%. To be honest, if I could have gotten what I have with the V6, I would have happily taken that over the EB. To the ones who look down their nose at my car, I typically have to respond with, “And what year is your Corolla?”

Q Tip

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kelly
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT 10spd PP1
I really liked my EB. It was a great combination of positive attributes.
That being said, I think Ford missed the boat by not offering a turbo inline six. Talk about exhaust note. My vote is for the Australian "Barra" inline turbo six.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT+PP, '23 EB Brittany, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
The purpose of the ecoboost (including HPP) is to anger everyone.
"everyone" at cars and coffee? That's a vanishingly small portion of folks and even amongst them the level of knowledge is very thin. At the US50/606 meet a couple weeks back guy had a GT500 in orange. Except it was an EB with full bumper and hood treatment. Most who looked at it with hood fully open didn't realize it was in EB. Or it took 2 or 3 glances before it clicked.

Dana Pants

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dana
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1
"everyone" at cars and coffee? That's a vanishingly small portion of folks and even amongst them the level of knowledge is very thin. At the US50/606 meet a couple weeks back guy had a GT500 in orange. Except it was an EB with full bumper and hood treatment. Most who looked at it with hood fully open didn't realize it was in EB. Or it took 2 or 3 glances before it clicked.
I don’t really cars and coffee, but I used to own a V6 Mustang which won me a lot a free T-Shirts autocrossing, and whenever a V8 showed up off the street egos were severely bruised.

Sponsored

MD18EcoStang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang Ecoboost
I bought my 2018 Ecoboost PP before the HPP existed. I never considered buying a GT, and feel no need to rationalize or explain. It's just what I wanted. 5 years in and still loving it. 👍🏼

2016S550

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shopping
When I bought my 22 GT A10 the dealer had an EB HPP with the HP and M6. If not for two things I may have been a buyer. It was black and did not have the digital instrument cluster. The dealer had it SIGNIFICANTLY discounted, $6700 off if I recall correctly. I debated it several times, I like to be different and not run with the pack. However, I did consider that I would miss the sound of the Coyote.

TrueBlue22

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2022 2.3L High Performance Package Fastback
The purpose of the ecoboost (including HPP) is to anger everyone. If I were to purchase an ecoboost HPP it would be explicitly for this purpose.
Hahaha this is perfect! I half-jokingly call my HPP the ultimate sacrilegious Mustang: turbo 4 and automatic. The fact that it will easily spank 90%+ of V8 Mustangs (including my own 5.0) is just icing on the cake.

spedy7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
James
Vehicle(s)
1966 Mustang coupe, 2023 GT
Having owned both....

I'd buy a EB HPP again in a heartbeat.

Both engines are great in their own way and it's really up to what you want. The EB has plenty of down low grunt, good fuel economy (I was averaging 19/20 city 24/26 highway with my manual), and easy fun within city limits. GT's are great for stung out performance due to their high revving nature, sound good, and have street cred (especially with a 10R80).

Having been one of those "big engine or nothing!" people and watching/seeing/feeling what a proper turbo 4/6 cylinder (and rotary) engine can do really opens your horizons and kinda...mellows?...you I guess. Every car and powertain has their purpose, it just depends on what you want to have fun.

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT+PP, '23 EB Brittany, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Why am I starting smell burning phosphorus and sulfur? Satan, is that you reaping the souls of the unbelievers?
Sponsored