Sponsored

Rant time...what's the worst thing about your Mustang?

David Schmidt

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
David
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT Premium MT82 PP1 401A
1. The clunkiness of the manual transmission, especially at low speeds. I've learned how to manage it a bit, but still get's a little frustrating, especially when I have passengers.
I get a fair amount of click/clunk feedback from the shifter on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I wonder if it's those shift forks getting ready to fall apart.

2. The interior runs hot. Compared to my old civic I feel like this car's interior is harder to cool down and keep cool. I plan to tint the windows soon, I'm hoping that helps.
I asked for it, especially with black on black. I run my ball chillers all the time now that it's above freezing. I do have factory tint and I imagine it helps a little.
Sponsored

qtrracer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Greg
Vehicle(s)
16 GT Premium PP Recaros; 86 GT 'Vert Pro-touring
Would have liked my Recaros with power, cool and heat. Got them anyway.

ColeTrickle

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Brandin
Vehicle(s)
19 GT PP, 09 G8 GT, 00 SS Camaro Conv
no fuss gas cap is a pita....pump will never stay on unless I hold it.

The power window switches need to be a couple inches closer to the passengers,

Gas tank is small

barron64

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT convertible PP1, 6sp, 2006 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab 4x4, 2009 Acura MDX, 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser
Love the car overall with just a few petty rants:
-A vacuum gauge on a GT?? Make it an oil temp gauge AND angle the oil pressure and oil temp towards the driver.
-Seat back coolers, that don't work...But, seat heat rocks though!
-Enable me to save "My Mode", and start car without toggling at every startup.
-Brembo's on PP1 need to be red from factory

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2015 EcoBoost Mustang, 2020 Explorer Limited
Vehicle Showcase
Do you have more info on this? Not going to ever pay $300 for the added benefit, but if it can be done by programming modules, I'm all into that.
I know the F-150's can tweak the bits in the BCM and the DDM/PDM to enable both up and down with keyfob.
The module is a hardware item, not a hex setting in ForScan. The module has the hardware to allow auto-up, one-button press of the top switch. Other stuff, too, but none of that was worth $300 to me.

Sponsored

Cali_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT Premium PP
For #1, change your trans fluid with BG synchro shift. It does wonders for the MT82.
One of the first things I did, improved the shifter feel and made it easier to shift before everything gets up to temp. I guess I misspoke, I meant the two piece drive shaft or whatever makes a loud clunk sound at slow speeds.

Cali_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I get a fair amount of click/clunk feedback from the shifter on the 1-2 and 2-3 shifts. I wonder if it's those shift forks getting ready to fall apart.

I asked for it, especially with black on black. I run my ball chillers all the time now that it's above freezing. I do have factory tint and I imagine it helps a little.
I misspoke, I meant the two piece drive shaft that clunks at low speeds. Although, this was a gripe of mine at first, I changed the trans fluid with BG synchro shift, like VikingJoe mentions, and it removed most of that clunky shifter feel, only happens rarely now..

I have deep impact blue on black, so that could be it, previous car was white too.

Cali_7

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
no fuss gas cap is a pita....pump will never stay on unless I hold it.

The power window switches need to be a couple inches closer to the passengers,

Gas tank is small
Ah, forgot about this, the pump only stays on if I park at the right distance/angle, otherwise I'm stuck holding it in place.

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Ah, forgot about this, the pump only stays on if I park at the right distance/angle, otherwise I'm stuck holding it in place.
I only buy gas at Costco or Sam's, rarely at Shell - I've not had this issue.

Sponsored

frank s

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.fsheff.com
First Name
frank
Vehicle(s)
Stang '19 Magnetic, EcoBoost™, Vert, MagneRide® PP
Vehicle Showcase
I put off reading this thread as long as I could. Should have avoided it entirely. Made me consider stuff that had been hidden by the aura of Mustang-ness surrounding my car. Y'all will recognize your own gripes which I am too lazy to attribute. My reactions interspersed.

As far as the hood rod goes, I had a number of items installed at Steeda & that was one of 'em. But not for
the sake of convenience. While traveling thru west Tejas, the support rod would get so hot you couldn't even
hold on to it long enough to engage the hood.

You don't have to go to W Texas to suffer this effect. I'm looking for the right size pool noodle type material to slip over the rod. Maybe at least a couple of layers of heat-shrink tubing?

body panels are lined up horribly and it squeaks and rattles more than it should

Yup, especially obvious on a light-colored car, where the gaps between panels become bold black lines. Maybe someone could suggest to Ford that a little extra care with the light colors could improve their fit-and-finish ratings. I have no rattles to speak of.

the (mp3/usb) track navigation uses 4 arrow buttons instead of a rotary knob. Takes like 400 button pushes to navigate anywhere.

My thumb drive has almost two thousand tracks on it, making for some lengthy scrolls and searches. Not something that should be done while on the road; however, since I liked every track well enough to include it, Shuffle usually produces something I don't mind listening to. And the Next button on the steering wheel is always handy.

2nd worst thing would be the 9-speaker audio system; weak bass and poor stereo imaging.
My ears actually find the system quite satisfactory, except for the weak bass. Strange how much better the '14 convertible performed in that regard. I did succumb to a need for bass by adding a pretty strong subwoofer.

Tiny fricking gas tank.
Yup. With a car that begs to be driven enthusiastically, fill 'er ups should be farther apart.

Agree Sat. radio has terrible quality.

Once again, my ears find the sound entirely adequate. I especially enjoyed it while driving across West Texas, where useful broadcast radio was practically non-existent.

==========================================

Pretty clear to me that either the members of this forum are uncritical of important aspects of Mustang ownership, or there are few major faults to rant about.

For my part, I'd like a position on the mode switch that would activate a governor-like feature that kept me from hitting very high (three-digit) speeds without some kind of warning. Way too easy to go way too fast. I realize that kind of thing is within my personal control, but if I need a Traction Nanny, who is to say a Speed Nanny isn't appropriate? Sort of a more generous valet setting?

MikeHTally

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
I mainly use shell, happens fairly often for me.
The Shell station near home is also near the interstate. Hence, no "latches" for the nozzle. So, I made a strap from hook 'n' loop material (also known as Velcro) to wrap around the handle, keeping it squeezed. Works like a charm. Still no failure to latch.

jake_zx2

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Kona Blue 2018 GT
Vehicle Showcase
2 things:

The damn seating position. I sit so high in the car! I was hoping that ordering Recaros would help alleviate this, but nope, nothing.

The damn transmission. Did a few highway pulls with a 2017 Camaro SS and drove it afterwards... on the highway pulls, I did it perfect but we hit traffic. 2nd pull, missed 3rd. every pull after that, granny shifted 3rd as to not miss again, and got pulled on every time. Then, while driving the Camaro, I found the 2-3 shift in that car is SO DAMN NATURAL, it just feels flawless. GIVE US A BETTER TRANS, FORD

Johnnybee

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 convertible
No power reclining seat backs. I am sure the later models have them but come on..... our 1958 Olds Super 88 had them but they could not put them in my 2015?
I don’t know. Our 2015 Rogue has power recline, but, it doesn’t have a tilt feature on the bottom cushion (like our Mustangs). I would gladly manually adjust that seat back if I got the tilt function. If having the tilt on the Mustang means I have to manually adjust the recline (which I’ve done maybe a couple of times), I’m happy.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
I can think of 10 things, all nitpicky of course in under 10 seconds. But my biggest beef with Ford is the ultra modern prop rod that is such a superior item that it simply hasn't changed much since 1965! How much do 100k decent quality hood lifts cost in bulk? Add $10 to the price of the build of our cars? Nah, never mind, Ford's gotta at least leave one thing for the aftermarket to make a mint on instead of passing along the extra $10 cost to us. Let's hear yours...come on, rant on! I know ya wanna....
It's not as simple as making the mod on an aftermarket basis suggests.

Chances are that swapping the prop rod out for struts at the OE level would have caused a redesign of the hood, and from there possibly a recertification effort regarding hood performance in the event of a crash. Which would not be anywhere near a $10 change by the time all is said and done.

Norm
Sponsored