Sponsored

Randy Pobst in the GT500

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
I agree..

This is going to sound like a troll. But at 100k and with 260? More HP I dont see it as a upset if the gt500 is faster than a gt3rs. There is more to a track car than lap times. Maybe not to a drag car.

Im damn impressed the gt500 can hide its weight.

Im really stuck on the 100k with my dealer's horrible service..
It is an upset if the Mustang is as fast as a GT3 RS. The GT3 RS is over $200k. The Shelby has 240 more hp, but the GT3 RS is also 800 lbs lighter. 800 lbs(!!), and can put the power down much (much) better. C&D tested the GT3 RS: 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. 1/4 mile in 11.0 @ 129 mph. Very freaking quick car in addition to amazing handling. The fact that the Shelby would have run a faster time than the GT3 RS if Randy hadn't lost it momentarily near the end of the lap is a major upset. Even with that screw up, he finished practically side by side with the GT3 RS. Watch the side by side video posted in the other thread - the GT500 was ahead nearly the entire lap. It's an amazing feat for a 4,050 lbs car to go toe to toe in every turn with the GT3 RS.
Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
It is an upset if the Mustang is as fast as a GT3 RS. The GT3 RS is over $200k. The Shelby has 240 more hp, but the GT3 RS is also 800 lbs lighter. 800 lbs(!!), and can put the power down much (much) better. C&D tested the GT3 RS: 0-60 in 2.9 seconds. 1/4 mile in 11.0 @ 129 mph. Very freaking quick car in addition to amazing handling. The fact that the Shelby would have run a faster time than the GT3 RS if Randy hadn't lost it momentarily near the end of the lap is a major upset. Even with that screw up, he finished practically side by side with the GT3 RS. Watch the side by side video posted in the other thread - the GT500 was ahead nearly the entire lap. It's an amazing feat for a 4,050 lbs car to go toe to toe in every turn with the GT3 RS.
The plan for me is get the CFTP 500 down to sub 3800#. "Unscheduled clean". Waiting......

Idaho2018GTPremium

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
The plan for me is get the CFTP 500 down to sub 3800#. "Unscheduled clean". Waiting......
Hopefully you don't have to strip it entirely to do that. What are some of your plans to save ~250 lbs?

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Hopefully you don't have to strip it entirely to do that. What are some of your plans to save ~250 lbs?
CF hood, CF lid, lithium battery, lightweight track seat, removal of pax seat, removal of extreanious items (subwoofer, inflator, etc), carbon ceramic brakes (x4), etc. I will make this happen.

It's kind of funny, why get the painted on stripes when I will just replace the hood and lid..... value is all in the VIN.

I will have a track monster.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
Yes the GT500 is way up on power but if you really watch the video and commentary what sticks out is how well the car handles and feels. It's not just a brute force muscle car. Just like the GT350. Ford really spent time on getting the handling right, the balance, the steering feel, the DCT, the brakes, the cooling. Not one complaint about heat soak, faded brakes, etc, etc.

It's also a very comfortable daily driver according to every review I have read. People get so caught up on track times and bench racing but the vast majority of people who buy these types of cars will likely track it rarely to never but will put the majority of their mileage on regular roads.

I am guilty of this, I look at performance numbers and watch track videos but the reality is I have to drive my cars on horrible CT roads. As much as I have wanted a Lotus Elise, for example, I don't enjoy getting beat up every time I want to go on a quick drive..

Sponsored

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
CF hood, CF lid, lithium battery, lightweight track seat, removal of pax seat, removal of extreanious items (subwoofer, inflator, etc), carbon ceramic brakes (x4), etc. I will make this happen.

It's kind of funny, why get the painted on stripes when I will just replace the hood and lid..... value is all in the VIN.

I will have a track monster.
Losing a few hundred pounds in this car would be money well spent. I am excited for you to get your car and make the mods.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
I agree..

This is going to sound like a troll. But at 100k and with 260? More HP I dont see it as a upset if the gt500 is faster than a gt3rs. There is more to a track car than lap times. Maybe not to a drag car.

Im damn impressed the gt500 can hide its weight.

Im really stuck on the 100k with my dealer's horrible service..
Sorry but it's more whether you have the money than whether the car is worth 100k. We've seen already it's obvious that the GT500 punches above its price tag, even at 100k.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
As a buyer, I do understand the feeling that a Ford dealer doesn't treat the buyer of a $100k car the way a Porsche dealer treats the buyer of a $100k car. And that is certainly irritating.

As an enthusiast, I think it's amazing what the car can do. I expected to not want the GT500 at all, but I do. I am trying to move to fewer cars, not more, though.

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
Yes the GT500 is way up on power but if you really watch the video and commentary what sticks out is how well the car handles and feels. It's not just a brute force muscle car. Just like the GT350. Ford really spent time on getting the handling right, the balance, the steering feel, the DCT, the brakes, the cooling. Not one complaint about heat soak, faded brakes, etc, etc.

It's also a very comfortable daily driver according to every review I have read. People get so caught up on track times and bench racing but the vast majority of people who buy these types of cars will likely track it rarely to never but will put the majority of their mileage on regular roads.

I am guilty of this, I look at performance numbers and watch track videos but the reality is I have to drive my cars on horrible CT roads. As much as I have wanted a Lotus Elise, for example, I don't enjoy getting beat up every time I want to go on a quick drive..
I am impressed with the car I have no doubt it handles well like the GT350 does. I also think like the GT350 at times you will feel its weight and more importantly its size. That said I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on handling based on a video. The power to weight on the GT500 is quite a bit better than the Porsche which means it is probably loosing time outside of the straights if your focus is the track.

I think the GT350 is a bad DD but AWESOME for quick drives(NYC roads and traffic) and after 3+ years I still find the car big. Ironically the GT500 would probably make a much better daily.

Colleton

Mustang Fan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2017 Edge Sport, 2013 Focus ST
I think the GT350 is a bad DD but AWESOME for quick drives(NYC roads and traffic) and after 3+ years I still find the car big. Ironically the GT500 would probably make a much better daily.
In my experience the GT350 was a fantastic DD. Comfortable, smooth, nimble. The only down side was consistently driving 90-100 MPH on highways without realizing how fast I was really going. The car handled like a dream and never felt big to me.

Sponsored

firestarter2

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
RR G350 Track
In my experience the GT350 was a fantastic DD. Comfortable, smooth, nimble. The only down side was consistently driving 90-100 MPH on highways without realizing how fast I was really going. The car handled like a dream and never felt big to me.
NYC vs Florida. NY car guys go Florida and marvel at your roads and the fact your ramps into gas stations are not at 45 degrees. I have to !#!!$$ dodge speed bumps now.

OP
OP
dewmsEleanor

dewmsEleanor

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Donny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Shelby GT350
NYC vs Florida. NY car guys go Florida and marvel at your roads and the fact your ramps into gas stations are not at 45 degrees. I have to !#!!$$ dodge speed bumps now.
Only reason I still live in Florida these days: flat roads, some fun tracks and consistent weather all year long.

Hack

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Mustang, Camaro
As a buyer, I do understand the feeling that a Ford dealer doesn't treat the buyer of a $100k car the way a Porsche dealer treats the buyer of a $100k car. And that is certainly irritating.

As an enthusiast, I think it's amazing what the car can do. I expected to not want the GT500 at all, but I do. I am trying to move to fewer cars, not more, though.
I had a different experience with my GT350. It was even a little embarrassing how nice the dealer was. Every time I was there several people would stop by and tell me how awesome my car was. The techs were very careful with my car when they were working with it.

But I have been to a Porsche dealer and they are nice too. I haven't bought one, so I don't know about that. I could maybe buy one if I wanted to stretch my money, but IMO Porsches aren't a good value. And I want to get the best value possible for my money.

I agree that the GT350 is a great daily driver. I didn't drive mine on the worst salty, snowy days, but I drove plenty enough in the winter and in rain, etc. to find out that the GT350 is good on the road any time of year. The Voodoo can be very mild mannered if you keep the revs down and especially in weather mode there are few problems with sliding around. Really the biggest reason for me not to drive in bad weather was worrying whether some other driver would bash into me.

The GT350 can be a little annoying on really bumpy, poor secondary roads, but my normal commute had good enough roads that I enjoyed it every day.

thill444

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
20 SS1LE (sold 18 GT350)
I am impressed with the car I have no doubt it handles well like the GT350 does. I also think like the GT350 at times you will feel its weight and more importantly its size. That said I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on handling based on a video. The power to weight on the GT500 is quite a bit better than the Porsche which means it is probably loosing time outside of the straights if your focus is the track.

I think it depends on what you are used to driving. We have terrible roads in CT too, but this car is much more comfortable than my C7/Z51/Magride, Focus RS (the dampening in this car was terrible), or STI. I think the suspension and heaviness play a big role, but even the gearbox is really easy to use in traffic. Tires are a big part of it though and you can always find a less aggressive tire for the streets that will reduce tramlining, and have a smoother ride.