Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Ford
I know this has been posted in other threads but in case anyone missed it --

CNET Roadshow's Emme Hall had a chance to interview Ford's Raj Nair at the 2017 Detroit Auto Show and she managed to tease out a few details about the future Hybrid Mustang (S650) from the Chief Technical Officer.

In the interview, Raj provides enough clues to piece together that the Hybrid Mustang will very likely feature electric motors mated to an EcoBoost turbo V6 engine. Perhaps not shocking to most, but good to have some confirmation of what we can expect.

You can watch the complete video here (relevant Q&A below):

https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/videos/lets-chat-with-ford-cto-raj-nair/

Q: Please tell me this hybrid [Mustang] is going to be more like a Porsche 918 than a Prius. How are you going to use that hybrid technology to give the Mustang the performance that consumers and fans are expecting?

A: That’s exactly right. We’re talking using electrification to give our consumers more and in the Mustang it’s all about performance. So we’re talking about V8-like performance and at the low-end even more torque available with the electric motors. It’s going to be a very, very fun hybrid to drive.

Q: So maybe an all-electric launch?

A: I wouldn’t say all-electric, but the great thing about electric motors is that they make torque at very low RPM, instant torque, so you couple that with an EcoBoost type engine and you have a great combination.

Q: We’ll see if that crosses over to any of the other muscle cars. If we’re going to be seeing now hybrid Camaros, hybrid Challengers, you guys could launch a whole new segment.

A: Yea, hopefully we’ll be first in that segment.

Q: You have your pick of any car in the Ford fleet, I know you do. So what are you daily driving right now?

A: My daily driver is a Mustang GT. Even in the winter.
Sponsored

CaptainSensible

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black Mustang V8 GT Coupe
Thanks for posting. I wonder if it will be a plug in type hybrid, or just a regualr one. Either way, sounds like a good move from Ford.

Ace

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.modernmusclecars.de
First Name
Steve
Vehicle(s)
2018 Camaro 2SS (EU)
Looks good to me. The Mustang GT is fun to drive, but a bit more low-rpm punch could make a huge difference. Hopefully the Hybrid will not cost much more than a GT.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Key phrases from Raj Nair:

"V8 like performance" and "electric motors make instant torque, so couple that with an Ecoboost type engine, and you have a great combination"

My take is ... no more V8 with the hybrid S650.

Could be they might still offer a non-hybrid V8, but maybe not if they want to move the whole Mustang line in the direction of hybrid technology.

Sponsored

havasu486

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ted
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT350 Electronics Package, Lead Foot Gray
Looks good to me. The Mustang GT is fun to drive, but a bit more low-rpm punch could make a huge difference. Hopefully the Hybrid will not cost much more than a GT.
That is the key, performance hybrid cars are generally not inexpensive.

Silver_Bullet_S550

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rashad
Vehicle(s)
2016 Ingot Silver GT Premium

"V8 like performance" and "electric motors make instant torque, so couple that with an Ecoboost type engine, and you have a great combination"

Could be they might still offer a non-hybrid V8, but maybe not if they want to move the whole Mustang line in the direction of hybrid technology.
i highly doubt they scratch the V8 this soon. i know ford is making a transition with their vehicles, but they know the hit they would take if they scratched the V8. i think adding this hybrid tech just boosts up their epa avg so that they can still make vehicles like the gt, gt350, etc

Agent_S550

Legend in his own mind
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Magnetic GT PP
I just love Raj drives a GT everyday. That makes me feel warm and fuzzy

68fbjjz109

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15' GTPP
Says his daily driver is a Mustang GT :D :cheers:
I don't know about that....

I was checking out a GT350R in the packing lot of Concourse De Elegance, and it had a Ford Performance bag in it. I wondered who's it was, no sooner that when I finished that thought. Raj Nair came out to it.

He chatted with my girlfriend and I briefly, then left for lunch.

As he passed us in the packing lot, he uncorked the exhaust and gave it a little hell.

From my very brief encounter he seemed like a pretty genuinely nice guy.

i highly doubt they scratch the V8 this soon. i know ford is making a transition with their vehicles, but they know the hit they would take if they scratched the V8. i think adding this hybrid tech just boosts up their epa avg so that they can still make vehicles like the gt, gt350, etc
I have to agree. Everyone is so concerned with the V8 leaving. Frankly I think these moves will enable it for the long term.

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Raj is a nice guy. He's got a heck of an ego, but you need some of that to push hard in this business. Good news is he knows what he's doing so it's alright.

Can confirm that he daily drives a GT :ford:

moto111

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 mustang gt
everyday to include winter BOOM lol but im sure he has like a gilzillion mustangs lol

TexArmageddon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Corvette
I'm fine with other hybrid Vehicles....

I just honestly see no point of it ATM for the mustang considering how the V8 is slowly being pushed into a realm that most can't afford.

So while everyone else is ecstatic about it.... I'm over here like if you're looking to push V8 performance... You're too late to hop on that train ford.

zackmd1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Zack
Vehicle(s)
1970 Mustang, 1965 AC Cobra, 2023 Ford Bronco 2Dr
Maybe this tech could be combined with that rumored 4.0 V8? If that engine actually exists that is... :shrug:

Personally it seems a bit overkill to have a twin turbo engine plus electric... I would prefer an NA engine that can rev to 8500+... Design it to make power above 4000 and have the electric motor fill in the power band in the low RPMs.

wireeater

Threads
Reaction score
Website
wheelwell.com
First Name
Rich
Vehicle(s)
Shadow Black 2019 Mustang GT Premium+ PP 6spd

That means nothing about the V8. The Hybrid will be the new trim. Now that the V6 is gone it will be EB > GT V8 > Hybrid. We are still awhile away from phasing out V8 engines. Adding a Hybrid will help them increase their overall MPG rating. Ford knows very well the demand for a V8 Mustang is high.
Sponsored