corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
With V8 levels of torque immediately available, what is the business case for keeping the V8 around, be it 5.0L, 5.2L or 4.0L?
The full spectrum of driving enjoyment is much wider than just straight line forward acceleration from a complete stop . . . and those MPGe's.

I agree that a high performance hybrid (utilizing Ecoboost technology) Mustang will surely be quicker and faster than any present or future S550 generation Mustang GT.
Same old straight line advantage stuff, just from a different direction. Still not swayed by it.

Norm
Sponsored

Freedom

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT, '22 Tesla Model 3, '22 F-150 Lightning
The full spectrum of driving enjoyment is much wider than just straight line forward acceleration from a complete stop . . . and those MPGe's.

Same old straight line advantage stuff, just from a different direction. Still not swayed by it.

Norm
This can always allow for true torque vectoring like in the NSX? That should help trackability. Since ecoboost already have peak torque so early, maybe this time itll be a bigger turbo to make the power more linear since electric motor start to get useless at higher speed.

EJS2016

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ed
Vehicle(s)
2016 Shadow Black GT Premium, 6A, 3.55 / '08 GT

Norm
Thanks for this reminder!!

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
This can always allow for true torque vectoring like in the NSX? That should help trackability.
Way too artificial for me because for any track time short of timed or W2W competition, it's not just about the numbers.

Might I get better lap times with something like that? Probably. Would I get any better as a driver that way? Probably not. More likely I'd lose a half step or so off my best "me-only" game . . . I think the current acronym for that goes something like "FTL".

Norm

Last edited:

Sponsored

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Key phrases from Raj Nair:

"V8 like performance" and "electric motors make instant torque, so couple that with an Ecoboost type engine, and you have a great combination"

My take is ... no more V8 with the hybrid S650.

Could be they might still offer a non-hybrid V8, but maybe not if they want to move the whole Mustang line in the direction of hybrid technology.

The V8 not going any where are you trying to troll :frusty: i think it will be a Hybrid Ecoboost V6 Hopefully a 2.7

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
The V8 not going any where are you trying to troll :frusty: i think it will be a Hybrid Ecoboost V6 Hopefully a 2.7
Great, the 2.7 added 400 lbs over the fusion 2.0 AWD. Faster yes, but it handles and brakes worse with the same size stock tire. Just what the stang needs, more weight.

GT Pony

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Premium, Black w/Saddle, 19s, NAV
Wish people would actually read what I wrote - and not let the sand get in their panties. I said the hybrid will not be a V8 (of any size I might add). Also said they could still offer a non-hybrid V8 option, or maybe just get rid of the V8 all together - who really knows at this point, so everyone must be "trolling" if they even take a guess. We will all have to wait and see!

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Way too artificial for me because for any track time short of timed or W2W competition, it's not just about the numbers.

Might I get better lap times with something like that? Probably. Would I get any better as a driver that way? Probably not. More likely I'd lose a half step or so off my best "me-only" game . . . I think the current acronym for that goes something like "FTL".

Norm
It feels artificial? Where did you have a chance to drive it? I'm very curious how the rest of the car performed.

jbailer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Joe
Vehicle(s)
2015 EB Magnetic Premium PP 50AP
I'm looking forward to it, it will probably be my next car. I always remind myself to never buy version 1.0 then the excitement takes over and I buy it anyways. I tried to buy a 2005, ended up with a 2006 GT, then a 2010 and then a 2015 Ecoboost.

Not a V8, V8 like power. And IMO, that's what I got with the EB, 320 tq 310 hp, that IS V8 like power. Yes there are several V8s with more power on the road today but if you look at it high level and plug your ears, it's not difficult to imagine.

I think electrification will definitely give it that extra punch for the fun factor. I'm sure ear plugging will still be required though and I'm ok with that.

Sponsored

Nuked

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Triple Yellow GTPP w/Recaros
Vehicle Showcase
2.3 with a larger turbo to move the powerband to the right, paired with the elec motors to make up the low end tq. This keeps weight to a minimum, best MPG (which is the key here) and still V8 like performance.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
2.3 with a larger turbo to move the powerband to the right, paired with the elec motors to make up the low end tq. This keeps weight to a minimum, best MPG (which is the key here) and still V8 like performance.
As long as you are OK with faster depreciation. Base 15 eco vs base 15 GT.
GT is worth 78% with 20K miles, eco, 74%. And that is with the GT being
more expensive to start with, so it typically should depreciate faster.

Assume a premuim eco that stickered for very close to base GT,
or $31,790 and it is only worth 69%. Thats well over 3 grand less
that GT (assuming 2 years old, 20K miles, outstanding condition).

30 old mustang GT in nice shape is $6-10K typically (and they only cost $13K new),
non V-8 hybrid will be worth nothing, 10 years after you get it.

The Wizard

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
08 Mustang; 16 F-150
As another poster mentioned, Tesla should be the target. 0-60 in 2.4 seconds.
We need AWD to do this, not more wheel spinning RWD torque.
Since Raj drives his in the winter, as I do, he is abundantly aware that we need AWD to get off the line fast under slippery conditions.

I kin flip my F-150 into 4A or 4H to get my ass moving when conditions are dicey, but my Mustang takes off like a freaking Chevette...

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Great, the 2.7 added 400 lbs over the fusion 2.0 AWD. Faster yes, but it handles and brakes worse with the same size stock tire. Just what the stang needs, more weight.
It wont be a 2.3 Hybrid i think it will be a 2.7 ecoboost

z460

MR.BIG SHOT
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
JT
Vehicle(s)
f250
Wish people would actually read what I wrote - and not let the sand get in their panties. I said the hybrid will not be a V8 (of any size I might add). Also said they could still offer a non-hybrid V8 option, or maybe just get rid of the V8 all together - who really knows at this point, so everyone must be "trolling" if they even take a guess. We will all have to wait and see!
Getting rid of the V8 would be a death sentence i know ford has way more common sense then that
Sponsored