Sponsored

Raj Nair discusses Hybrid Mustang at 2017 NAIAS

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
There's a downside in that for handling - even if the total weight can be held constant. Putting the big masses out toward both ends of the car increases the yaw moment of inertia (slows/dulls steering response, may complicate stability control calibration).
I think the risk of this is pretty low, most of the added weight of a single motor hybrid system will come from the batteries which are typically spread out low across the floor of the car. If weight can be kept constant it should help the car with a lower center of gravity for less body roll overall.

Norm Peterson said:
I'm not denying the potential for improved acceleration, but what I don't want to see is gains for that necessitate losses on the corner-carving side of the coin.
Agreed, by the cars that ford is coming out with now (Boss 302, GT350R, Focus RS, Ford GT) i think its safe to say that there is an acknowledgment of the desire for a car that isn't afraid of some twists and turns.
Sponsored

Stroked84

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dan
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT
I'm hoping for FWD electric motors that can be used for AWD launches!
Exactly what I was thinking. Like the rumored new hybrid Supra power plant with 3 electric motors. I believe 1 per front wheel and 1 paired with the 6cyl turbo for the rear wheels. I'd take a pseudo AWD Ecoboost Hybrid Mustang.

dron_jones

Threads
Reaction score
Fell into a pot hole in Michigan and can't get bac
Vehicle(s)
Me crazy, and I can't help myself
Exactly what I was thinking. Like the rumored new hybrid Supra power plant with 3 electric motors. I believe 1 per front wheel and 1 paired with the 6cyl turbo for the rear wheels. I'd take a pseudo AWD Ecoboost Hybrid Mustang.
Thats a similar setup to the NSX. It will be interesting to see if right about the Supra what that car will sell for. I know its also a platform shared with the BMW so i'm guessing that the price will be similar (maybe slightly less). The two elements that will work against the mustang for this will be weight and cost. The appetite for a non special edition of mustang above 55K is probably not there.

OX1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
86 Capri 5.0 Turbo, 17 Fusion Sport, 21 GT500 CFTP
I don't think mustang has any intentions of trying to bring down Tesla in the 0-60 ludicrous mode. To me thats a gimmick, i'd be must more interested in a more well rounded performance handling package.

No guarantees that it will offer AWD functionality even through electric motors.

Its possible that the car could be a RWD only, turbo engine with a supplemental electric motor to fill in the gaps in the torque curve. If this was the case the battery could be very small as the car probably wouldn't even have "electric only" option. The addition of the rear motor and battery and smaller front engine could help with weight distribution on the car.
If not going AWD, they better start with a no low end torque motor, as you really don't need any more low end torque than the current V8, without more traction.
Sponsored