Sponsored

Rain tray for the hood slats on or off for the street?

boze

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
boze
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500, 2018 Shelby GT350, 2015 Alfa Romeo 4C LE
Who is not running the rain tray on the street and why?
Sponsored

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 Race Red
Aside from water, i don't see any reason to have it on? That being said i leave mine on most of the time because i am not sure what issues might come up if it continually gets wet.......YES i do drive mine in the rain occasionally.

Sponsored

marklboris

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mark
Vehicle(s)
______ '20 Shelby GT500 FPB '21 Mach-E GTPE IS
Vehicle Showcase
My rain tray is never on unless I wash the car and I don't plan on driving in the rain but if I do, I will put it on.

Cobra99

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Too Many
I have it off 100% of the time and have driven it in the rain. On warms day you can see the heat pouring out the vent. I even wash the car with it off and use the master blaster to blow the engine off.

Last edited:

Skwibbs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT500, '17 2SS (previous)
Haven't tried removing it yet. Was having a lot of rain for a while, and the car's been in and out of PPF (which is completely done today).

Is it easy?

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Haven't tried removing it yet. Was having a lot of rain for a while, and the car's been in and out of PPF (which is completely done today).

Is it easy?
If you can operate a screwdriver then YES its easy.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also, it took me few times before i realized this. But one of the holes is actually a slot. So you can install this screw first loose, then put the rain tray under this one screw while putting in another. This way you not fumbling around trying to hold it up while putting in 2 screws to hold it, before putting the rest of them in. This was probably obvious to some but again took me a few times before i noticed.

Sponsored

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
If you can operate a screwdriver then YES its easy.
If you're over six foot, that also helps substantially, I'm guessing you're plenty tall, Tony. I wash the car after I've driven it so it gets washed frequently. The tray is just too much of a PITA for me to be removing it regularly. Plus, I know I'm not pushing the car as hard as we did at Track Attack and I'm reasonably sure those cars had the trays installed.

But, if I were taller than 5'9" I might be inclined to deal with the cordless. But what I really want to do is what Jamie (@Jmeo) did with those heavy duty rare earth magnets. To me, that solves the one and only issue I have with the darn thing.

Plus, I HAVE to leave it in most of the time because I want folks to see the tray snake. :-)

1602101510359.png

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
If you're over six foot, that also helps substantially, I'm guessing you're plenty tall, Tony. I wash the car after I've driven it so it gets washed frequently. The tray is just too much of a PITA for me to be removing it regularly. Plus, I know I'm not pushing the car as hard as we did at Track Attack and I'm reasonably sure those cars had the trays installed.

But, if I were taller than 5'9" I might be inclined to deal with the cordless. But what I really want to do is what Jamie (@Jmeo) did with those heavy duty rare earth magnets. To me, that solves the one and only issue I have with the darn thing.

Plus, I HAVE to leave it in most of the time because I want folks to see the tray snake. :-)

1602101510359.png
KB is correct it is a PITA in the sense of your leaning over the car/engine, which for some the rear most screws may be hard to reach, then your worrying about dropping the screws, scratching the fenders, finding a place to put the screws that you can remember, put the tray somewhere, etc, all while knowing you might have to put it back on if it starts raining.... But its simple in the aspect of your quite literally are just removing 10 screws.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
‘09 GT500KR & ‘16 GT350 Track Pack & ‘20 GT500 HP
To make using the tray easier, I cut the two bottom screw holes into slots and left those bottom two screws in place. Then, I added the strong magnets Jaime recommended over the other 6 holes and presto: Slide the tray onto those two screws and the magnets snap the rest into place!
BTW: As I cut those two small slots, I realized the tray is aluminum, not plastic as I had thought. I used a small cutting wheel and sparks flew everywhere....
Also, the cars at the GT500 Track Attack did have the trays removed. I looked into several hoods and they were all gone.

protraxduner

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
To make using the tray easier, I cut the two bottom screw holes into slots and left those bottom two screws in place. Then, I added the strong magnets Jaime recommended over the other 6 holes and presto: Slide the tray onto those two screws and the magnets snap the rest into place!
BTW: As I cut those two small slots, I realized the tray is aluminum, not plastic as I had thought. I used a small cutting wheel and sparks flew everywhere....
Also, the cars at the GT500 Track Attack did have the trays removed. I looked into several hoods and they were all gone.
WHAT!? I would have bet my life it was plastic? I have had it off many times and it looks, feels, textured..... like plastic? Is it coated? I have never seen aluminum texture like that. Anyway next time i have it in my hands i am going to investigate....