Sponsored

Radium Surge Tank

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
Got tired of the fuel starvation issues (mine was really bad with the fore hat because it has no basket) and finally got around to putting a surge tank in the trunk. So far so good and the car isn't cutting out anymore! Here's a picture of it it later on in the install since I didn't take any pictures of it when I was done.

309q0wg.jpg

Since there is fuel in the trunk now, I had a rear firewall put in to make it a little safer.

244yuqg.jpg

If you're looking for a permanent solution to fuel starvation this isn't a bad way to go!
Sponsored

S550Smoke

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
John
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT base performance pack
Where did you get yours if you dont mind me asking?

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP

eric2d3d

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
Good info I am glad you were able to fix the issue. I also had a very bad fuel starvation issue even at 3/4 tank I fixed mine with the Sai Li GT350 fuel system I can run the car down to 1/8 tank on track without it having the fuel starvation issue. That's on e85 also.

Sponsored

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
Were you guys having this starvation issue with stock tires?

I was pretty low on fuel 1/8 tank, and in a long sweeper it felt like the car kicked in TC, but it definitely wasn't. I lifted for a second, puzzled at what it was, and hit the throttle again and it straight up roared.

I was afraid it consumed some oil but there was no smoke from the car that me, or anyone else could see.

sldghmr

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT PP (x2), 2016 F-150 XLT
Vehicle Showcase
Happens after left hand sweeps....I'm on slicks, but I don't think tires make a difference. The OP setup looks doggone scary!! LOL I'd try that but I've got dual circuit cooler and battery in the spare tire well.... I was thinking of fuel cell foam over the center hump of the tank to stop most of the sloshing....I'm still running stock setup so I've got a basket...and it don't help. 3/4 to 1/2 tank and depending on how hard I hit a turn it comes out putting

OP
OP

thatonenozz

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Black Mustang GT PP
It’s a whole lot less scary now that I have the firewall in place. Slightly less likely to catch fire now lol. But yeah I’m on NT01’s so they’re grippier, but even on street tires I had the fuel starvation issues exactly as you’re describing. The fuel cell foam trick only kinda worked for me, but it would always end up coming loose and floating in the tank in the end. Once it even got stuck under the fuel level sender on the drivers side so I was a little surprised to run out of gas when the car said I had a half tank :frusty:

21ll4k0.jpg

Austinj427

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350
Vehicle Showcase
I did some more research after I commented that yesterday and found this is apparently a common issue.

I think I'll go foam if it comes down to it. Our local tracks don't have any long left sweepers so it makes sense why I didn't notice an issue on the previous track day but HPT has a brutal one. For now I'll keep the tank pretty well filled. According to my phone I was pulling 1.2g when she went dry.

sloride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
Got tired of the fuel starvation issues (mine was really bad with the fore hat because it has no basket) and finally got around to putting a surge tank in the trunk. So far so good and the car isn't cutting out anymore! Here's a picture of it it later on in the install since I didn't take any pictures of it when I was done.

309q0wg.jpg

Since there is fuel in the trunk now, I had a rear firewall put in to make it a little safer.

244yuqg.jpg

If you're looking for a permanent solution to fuel starvation this isn't a bad way to go!
did you use the fore hat to feed the surge tank?

Sponsored

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I have the same surge tank in my car. For the guys who think they can solve it without a surge tank, just save your time and money and get the surge tank. I tried everything
Foam = does not work, does nothing for surge, and even worse the foam dislodges and jams up the fuel level sender and sheds and is just a complete waste of time
Holley HydraMat = slight improvement, but slight is not good enough
Fuel pump is passenger side = another waste of time, the pump can’t move the fuel back fast enough to avoid surge

If you are experiencing surge, just get the surge tank, nothing else will solve the problem other than going out with a full tank each session.

sloride

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT
I have the same surge tank in my car. For the guys who think they can solve it without a surge tank, just save your time and money and get the surge tank. I tried everything
Foam = does not work, does nothing for surge, and even worse the foam dislodges and jams up the fuel level sender and sheds and is just a complete waste of time
Holley HydraMat = slight improvement, but slight is not good enough
Fuel pump is passenger side = another waste of time, the pump can’t move the fuel back fast enough to avoid surge

If you are experiencing surge, just get the surge tank, nothing else will solve the problem other than going out with a full tank each session.
I believe that’s the only solution as well. What is your fuel pump set up? I have Fore hat with two 465’s. Now in the surge tank you need probably the same two 465’s. I’d hope I wouldn’t need 4 pumps. Thanks

Plimmer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Rob
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT
I believe that’s the only solution as well. What is your fuel pump set up? I have Fore hat with two 465’s. Now in the surge tank you need probably the same two 465’s. I’d hope I wouldn’t need 4 pumps. Thanks
Yeah, I’ve got a CPE hat with 2 465’s, and then when I got the Radium I put another 2 465’s in it. So now the CPE hat only runs one pump which come one with key on, the other pump is just spare and I should probably pull it out one day. The one pump in the surge tank runs off the stock Ford wiring and the 2nd pump is turned on by my boost controller. Believe it or not, I have a 5th fuel pump in the passenger side, and sometimes I use it when I run out of gas, it pushes just enough fuel over to get back into the pits. Used it twice that way already. Lolol

boardkat

CAMtard
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT
Much like Rob, I tried everything before ultimately going to a surge tank. My setup is a radium fuel hat w/ 274 (high pressure 465) ACC-triggered sending unit, and dual 274s (one ACC-triggered, one boost triggered > 3psi) in the surge tank. Before this, I would fuel starve @ 1/2 tank. I’ve taken it down to 1/8 tank without issue on both CW and CCW config since installing, and expect I could go all the way to E if I wanted to.

A3F1A114-F2E5-49D0-8FE2-B7EA35376929.jpeg

8F5A5FE5-514A-4B55-A46D-B1DAC939321D.jpeg

AC56B847-7EFD-461D-8312-68DE5616DD7E.jpeg

Andy13186

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT 10speed Aluminator Whippled
Im looking at fore fuel systems but I dont want any starvation issues when my tank is below half full or in cornering etc, so I am looking into this. I also dont want fuel fumes in the interior of the car though, i guess with the PTFE or other high quality lines that wouldnt be a problem, right?
Sponsored