Raceseng Tow Hook for the GT500

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
No tracking here Jared but I too plan to wait a bit before installing to let the paint cure.

Thanks again, Tom.
Go ahead and install. You'll be fine. Just dont mess with the paint for a while. You all have 1 coat of adhesion promoter, 2 coats of base with a wetsand after each coat, and two coats of clear followed b a wetsand and a two stage polish. (KB got an extra coat of base due to the scratches in the plastic). You shouldnt have to do anything at all. If you want to polish it more, have at it. Just don't do some waxer thing and break out the chemicals to prep before you do something else. Only use a clean microfiber cloth if you do so. Wait a few weeks before you put a piece of xpel on there.

KB, that hole you have wasn't coincidental with the one that Jared and I have. If you need to drill another door, let me know and I will send you my template. I was going to drill another door for you, but I have been waiting for the extra door I ordered to come in. Its still on back order. So I painted what I have and that was the reason for the delay.

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
Tom: Man, that's a lot of work for friends clear aross the country...can I get a big "AMEN!" for master painter Tommy?! All together now.. :cool: Dang that's a crummy selection of emojis.

And if your confident that the paint is safe to install, I'll do so as soon as she arrives. I don't see even ME getting down in there to polish that little piece. <laughing> Yeah, the hole is off but it centered with much more open overlap than yours but it hardly even visible in all the black.

On another subject...

Since you've nixed the CF hood idea, twat's :-) the plan for the rain tray. I know you're not going to buy another entire vent for Ford ridiculous price and I believe both You and Jaime confirmed that the tray can't be had separately.

Anyway, if you do get around to painting, give me a heads up in advance and I'lI have the snake decal to you in just a few days.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Tom: Man, that's a lot of work for friends clear aross the country...can I get a big "AMEN!" for master painter Tommy?! All together now.. :cool: Dang that's a crummy selection of emojis.

And if your confident that the paint is safe to install, I'll do so as soon as she arrives. I don't see even ME getting down in there to polish that little piece. <laughing> Yeah, the hole is off but it centered with much more open overlap than yours but it hardly even visible in all the black.

On another subject...

Since you've nixed the CF hood idea, twat's :-) the plan for the rain tray. I know you're not going to buy another entire vent for Ford ridiculous price and I believe both You and Jaime confirmed that the tray can't be had separately.

Anyway, if you do get around to painting, give me a heads up in advance and I have the snake decal to you in just a few days.
Well, it wasn't my plan to nix the CF hood. That's all I am going to say about that. I won't ever do business with that company again.

As for the rain tray, I can't buy another without buying the vent. The MSRP on that item is $2200. Street price is $1500. So I don't think I will be doing the rain tray decal mod that you were thinking of.

Yes, go ahead and install the door cover. Just understand that the paint is soft until fully cured.

Sponsored

09cs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
Well, it wasn't my plan to nix the CF hood. That's all I am going to say about that. I won't ever do business with that company again.

As for the rain tray, I can't buy another without buying the vent. The MSRP on that item is $2200. Street price is $1500. So I don't think I will be doing the rain tray decal mod that you were thinking of.

Yes, go ahead and install the door cover. Just understand that the paint is soft until fully cured.
I was just thinking about that thread and how there was no update. Guess that answers that

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
I was just thinking about that thread and how there was no update. Guess that answers that
Yes, as a courtesy, I had the thread yanked.

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL

On another subject...

Anyway, if you do get around to painting, give me a heads up in advance and I'lI have the snake decal to you in just a few days.
Seconded! Amen!

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
EDITED TO NOTE - The threads used on the Focus RS are slightly smaller than those on the GT500. The Focus tug shaft threads into the GT500 but isn't correct. It uses an RD16 thread and the GT500 uses an RD18 thread. The issue is that the RD 16 and 18 can have a similar TPI count or pitch but not be the right fit.

Raceseng had sent me an email a while back regarding this thread. Just a mild "thanks" of sorts. There was no mention of a thread issue based on what I had ordered. Well, I got another email a couple of days ago saying someone there picked up on the error I made. Note in the writeup where I mentioned something about the thread fitment seeming odd. This thread isn't like normal SAE or metric thread where when it's wrong, it's wrong. In this case, the RD16 thread goes into the RD18 nut in the bumper easy enough and then gets tight just as it bottoms out. Regardless - it isn't right. It was Jaryd at Raceseng that sent me the email and I sent him a response but haven't heard back yet. Bottom line, I erred, and anyone that used the Focus RS tug shaft should contact Raceseng about acquiring the same length but with an RD18 thread.
10/07/2020

While the 2020 GT500 includes a pretty robust hook I wanted something with a bit more style that I could fold down when not in use so as to minimize projection. You can't do that with the stock welded assembly. Not much of a fan of ZL1 Add-ons, I looked elsewhere. When I saw that Raceseng had their own version I figured I'd give it a try. I don't plan on anything more than a random track day here or there so I wanted a hook in black to better blend with the stock trim.

Here it is next to the stock threaded hook.

IMG_7872-X3.jpg

I had an extra bumper cover for the hook hole and I drilled it using a unibit. It isn't painted but is close enough for me in this case as it is all function over form. Hole is oblong as the shaft comes through on a skew.

IMG_7874-X2.jpg

IMG_7875-X2.jpg

So a quick look at the stock hook. Keep this in mind - reverse thread.

IMG_7876-XL.jpg

IMG_7878-X3.jpg

Again, I have no doubt the stocker is strong enough and ready for duty. In this case, I want to leave the hook in place so being able to fold the Raceseng made it appeal more to me than this. Pull tested and aesthetically pleasing.

IMG_7879-X3.jpg

IMG_7880-X3.jpg

I noticed the sort of unfinished stock hook had a tight fit as the finish on the threads was a little rough. Raceseng's threads were a bit cleaner and as such it didn't impart the same amount of friction when installing. So I used a few drops of medium thread locker so I can remove the shaft down the road if I want to.

IMG_7881-X3.jpg

IMG_7883-X2.jpg

IMG_7884-X2.jpg

IMG_7885-X2.jpg

Two things. Note the much shorter profile when folded - all win. And I flipped the hook over so you don't see Raceseng's logo. It's well done but I'm a fan of a cleaner look here.

IMG_7886-X2.jpg

IMG_7893-X3.jpg

IMG_7889-X2.jpg

I adjusted the stainless cap screw that runs through the hook for a bit of tension such that it requires a fair amount of grip and pressure to move it up or down. Stops any sway or movement from airflow at speed.

IMG_7896-X2.jpg

IMG_7901-X2.jpg

I can't comment on weight because it doesn't matter much to me with this mod. The ring is 6061-T6 so I'd assume it to be close to stock. And if it matters, the small button head screw you see on the underside of the end of the shaft is for a GoPro mount that Raceseng sells separately.
Sooo.. im sometimes a moron.. where can I get a new tow hook cover? technically 2 of them, so i can replicate what you did here

Sponsored
OP
OP
Epiphany

Epiphany

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I like to disassemble things.
I got mine from the dealer parts network.

V00D00

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500
part # is in 3rd or 4th post..
however, i havent been able to find them in stock anywhere. My order was cancelled

Stang55

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Qays
Vehicle(s)
'15 Mustang 5.0 Premium
Wondring if the JR3Z-17757A-A has the same RD18 thread. It would be nice to run this setup when I convert my GT bumper to the GT500 one. If anyone can confirm I would be ordering a raceseng hook, I have the slammer knob and love it to bits.

madlag

Snake Charmer
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350R, 2022 GT500
Drilled my cover, I have the ZL1 hook, and to smoothly take the piece on and off it seemed the hole would need to be a little larger as to avoid pitting my PPF on the bumper surround during insertion and removal of the cover.

I used the step drill bit and just kept opening it as needed .

It's ready to go and in the mail to Tom shortly.

Never mind the dirty car, did a track day this past weekend and haven't had the opportunity to clean her up right yet.

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b31.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b32.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b30.jpg

UNADJUSTEDNONRAW_thumb_3b2f.jpg
My issue is, the ZL1A seems to stick out too far... I like the style of this one better than the Raceng version but I find myself questioning if I want to use it. Anyone have pics installed and standing back a bit from the car? maybe from the side?
Sponsored