Raceseng Tow Hook for the GT500

5.Oh Crush

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Ra
Vehicle(s)
Mustang
5.Oh: It looks comparable but I don't like two things...the unpainted shaft and the "TOW."

Granted, it costs more, but I think the Raceseng hook is more appealing to the eye.

1603112926600.png

Tob flipped his hook to put the logo in back...(I think.)
Oh, yes. Can't flip red because buffer pad. I do like the chrome as I've changed to chrome wheels. I don't think the black will stand out with black bumper IMO.
I have RED SHELBY letters and GT500. trying to not add to much busy to it.
Sponsored

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2022 F150 PowerBoost
Vehicle Showcase
I agree with Kent, the Raceseng is a work of art. Sounds silly I know when something like this has a purpose, and looks shouldn’t factor in at all.

I’ll be honest, mine will never be used :fingerscrossed:

kilobravo

Threads
Reaction score
Website
kilobravo.com
First Name
KB
Vehicle(s)
'16 CT6, '18 SD, '20 GT 500
mine will never be used
As my dear Mother used to say ALL the time, Jaime..

"Never say never." <grin>

I hope I never need it either but I think the odds of a flat are a factor, probably boils down to dumb luck with a road hazard in most cases since we, generally speaking, have good rubber. But, if it happens, that hook might be a lifesaver.

BTW, I failed to comment on the pups photo...Too cute, man, just TOO cute.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
As my dear Mother used to say ALL the time, Jaime..

"Never say never." <grin>

I hope I never need it either but I think the odds of a flat are a factor, probably boils down to dumb luck with a road hazard in most cases since we, generally speaking, have good rubber. But, if it happens, that hook might be a lifesaver.

BTW, I failed to comment on the pups photo...Too cute, man, just TOO cute.
I was more referring to never tracking my car. But you’re right never say never.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Alrighty then..... the correct shaft came in today and I went to work. I took the tow hook door that I painted a while ago and drilled it to allow the tow hook to pass through. @Jmeo, I drilled your door today and plan to paint tomorrow (@Surfergeek and @kilobravo). Overall I think it turned out excellent. Once the hole was drilled in the door, I custom cut a piece of Xpel ultimate to protect it.

A shoutout to Jayrd of Raceseng.... his assistance in various parts and a quick exchange for the correct shaft made this project a pleasure. Another thanks to @Epiphany for the lead on this product and the great (as usual) writeup. I just wish that the hook and assembly were made from titanium. My projects moving forward are all about weight reduction.

Anyway. Here are the photos.....

20201019_172103.jpg

20201019_172046.jpg

Last edited:

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Looks most excellent, Thomas. Perfect hole.
The trick to it is to try to get it balls on before you even drill the pilot hole before using the step bit. I got the pilot hole down to a few thousandths of an inch and then kept checking my progress every so many steps on the step bit.

I started with a cardboard template. located where the approximate location of the hole should be. Using the step bit, I gradually kept opening up the hole and test fitting until it was perfect. Then I placed the template over the door to be drilled. To close the circle and area of error, I used the shaft nut and made a small circle. I then used a set of calipers to locate dead center of the hole and drilled a pilot hole (lol). Then, it was just drilling the hole step by step from the back of the door, checking my progress every so many steps. Mine is balls on. @Jmeo s door should be too, provided the robots in Flat Rock were consistent.

Yea, its one of those jobs if you take your time, it will be 100%. I should be able to paint your doors tomorrow. @kilobravo, if you get your door and the hole you drilled isn't ok with you, I will be happy to paint again (just because of all the stuff you do around here to help... Call it Karma).

Below is Jmeo's door.
20201019_175953.jpg

Surfergeek

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jared
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT500, 2004 Corvette Z06, 2020 F150 Platinum, 2019 Yukon Denali XL
Looking great! Thanks for the updates here and elsewhere.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Looks spectacular Tom. So much so, I just may send my ring to Shelby to be painted body color with the rest of the car.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Looks spectacular Tom. So much so, I just may send my ring to Shelby to be painted body color with the rest of the car.

Thanks again for taking the time to help me out.
Of course. Your door is exactly like mine. I just hope that the tow hook receptacle is uniform between our cars.

As for your hook, yes, absolutely. Get that painted and make sure nobody does anything with it for a month. The paint is soft until it cures. We talked about this on the phone, we were thinking nylon washers between the knuckle and the painted ring.... I settled on Xpel. It was perfect.... thin enough, durable, and provided just the right amount of protection and friction.

Anyway, more tomorrow.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Of course. Your door is exactly like mine. I just hope that the tow hook receptacle is uniform between our cars.

As for your hook, yes, absolutely. Get that painted and make sure nobody does anything with it for a month. The paint is soft until it cures. We talked about this on the phone, we were thinking nylon washers between the knuckle and the painted ring.... I settled on Xpel. It was perfect.... thin enough, durable, and provided just the right amount of protection and friction.

Anyway, more tomorrow.
Good idea with the Xpel Tom. I’ll reach out to Shelby to get the shipping specifics for sending them the ring. I look forward to seeing the final outcome....... oh 9-12 months from now, lol.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
Good idea with the Xpel Tom. I’ll reach out to Shelby to get the shipping specifics for sending them the ring. I look forward to seeing the final outcome....... oh 9-12 months from now, lol.
I'll cut you a few xpel washers for future use.

Jmeo

You said member ;)
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jaime
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase