R888R didn't perform well at all

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
I bought a set of Toyo R888R to replace my RE71Rs, which were amazing and was very disappointed in the performance. The squealed, howled and understeered on nearly every corner and lost grip on of 4 of them at one point.
I started at 34 hot PSI
Went down to 33 hot PSI and stiffened the front struts a little. They got better but still no where near the performance of an RE71R.
After 5 sessions at Heartland Motorsport Park they don't show any wear and didn't create any tire turds.... they look like I went to Walmart and back.

If I back off on the track, of course they seem great. When I push them, they seem to give up the ghost.

I'm wondering if I have the set up wrong, lower pressure yet?
Did others have to make suspension adjustments to get them to perform?
I see one guy in the Lap times thread did a 2:29 in GT500 with R888Rs. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong.
Trying to track down a set of NT01 to replace these, wondering it its necessary. They seem to be so far off the RE71R mark, I don't think they can be dialed in.

Thoughts ,suggestions?
Sponsored

nbjeeptj

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Neill
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT
I have run several sets of R888R's and have found that they do suck, but they seam to suck for a long time. I have found that 36 psi was a sweet spot for my setup with them. I can also tell you that I can run just as fast on half the money on a set of Federal 595 RS RR's, and they last about the same, somewhere around 6 track days. The last tire I bought was the Faulken RT660 and my lap times were around 2 seconds faster than with either the 888 or the 595's, but it does not look as if they will last anywhere near as long.

EFI

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
5.Br0
The R888R is definitely not a track tire. More straight line grip but no lateral grip. NT01 will be much better
It most definitely is a road course tire, it's the successor to the very popular Toyo R888. It is not a drag racing tire in any way.

While I can't speak for its performance directly, I have heard good things about the 888s in general and it seems popular in the track day/time trial crowd.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
It most definitely is a road course tire, it's the successor to the very popular Toyo R888. It is not a drag racing tire in any way.

While I can't speak for its performance directly, I have heard good things about the 888s in general and it seems popular in the track day/time trial crowd.
Compared to what else is out there now, it's slow. Apex wheels and KNS brakes both recommend against the R888R.

Maybe when it came out, it was good, but there are far superior options now. I don't know a single person who uses or recommends these anymore, especially not in any form of competition.

If you're restricted by treadwear, the 3R (also 100tw) is king. No one will ever pick the R888R over the 3R for competition. If it's open tire, Hoosiers all day. I could see people picking the R888R for HPDE stuff but again, there are newer/better options out there

Sponsored

OP
OP
MajHazrd

MajHazrd

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT Performance Package
Thanks for the replies and things to consider.
I did a lot of research before buying and found a lot of good things about R888R, so I expected good performance especially from a 100tw R rated tire.
Reviews and experiences do have a wide range of various results, most seemed positive.

Wanted to the NT01, but they are on indefinite back order. The R compound R888R looked like a good value compared to the Super Cup 2R and Super Car 3R.... turns out, not so much.

I was contemplating trying the Super Cup 2 (no R) or the Super Car 3 (no R), then opt'd for the Toyo R

I guess the only way to really know is to try them.

NightmareMoon

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT PP
Vehicle Showcase
Maybe when it came out, it was good, but there are far superior options now. I don't know a single person who uses or recommends these anymore, especially not in any form of competition.
Yeah,
I did a lot of research before buying and found a lot of good things about R888R, so I expected good performance especially from a 100tw R rated tire.
Reviews and experiences do have a wide range of various results, most seemed positive.

Wanted to the NT01, but they are on indefinite back order. The R compound R888R looked like a good value compared to the Super Cup 2R and Super Car 3R.... turns out, not so much.

I was contemplating trying the Super Cup 2 (no R) or the Super Car 3 (no R), then opt'd for the Toyo R

ā€¦ or find someone who has tried a lot of them. Its crazy, the R88R is only a 7 year old design, but tire tech is improving that quickly. Part of the issue is that ā€˜Rā€™ means nothing. Its a letter they put in the name. Its marketting fluff, and treadwear ratings are equally useless. More than one current 200TW tires gripping better and lasting not as long as some 100TW tires. (A052 Iā€™m looking squarely at you).

So ya, first hand experience with these 100tw and 200tw tires matters a lot more than an R or an S or a TW number.

Ewheels

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Eric
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT PP1, 2020 Explorer, 2023 F150
Vehicle Showcase
Yeah,

ā€¦ or find someone who has tried a lot of them. Its crazy, the R88R is only a 7 year old design, but tire tech is improving that quickly. Part of the issue is that ā€˜Rā€™ means nothing. Its a letter they put in the name. Its marketting fluff, and treadwear ratings are equally useless. More than one current 200TW tires gripping better and lasting not as long as some 100TW tires. (A052 Iā€™m looking squarely at you).

So ya, first hand experience with these 100tw and 200tw tires matters a lot more than an R or an S or a TW number.
^ all 100% facts

TundraOnKings

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
T
Vehicle(s)
'20 GT PP1 A10, '20 Armada,'15 Tundra,14' GS350F

From what seems like hundreds of threads I read, the GY SuperCar3 (non-R) sure pops up in almost all of them. Thatā€™s why I went with them. I only have experience with the PS4S prior, and the SC3 is next level comparing the 2.

mustanghammer

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Scott
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT
I bought a set of Toyo R888R to replace my RE71Rs, which were amazing and was very disappointed in the performance. The squealed, howled and understeered on nearly every corner and lost grip on of 4 of them at one point.
I started at 34 hot PSI
Went down to 33 hot PSI and stiffened the front struts a little. They got better but still no where near the performance of an RE71R.
After 5 sessions at Heartland Motorsport Park they don't show any wear and didn't create any tire turds.... they look like I went to Walmart and back.

If I back off on the track, of course they seem great. When I push them, they seem to give up the ghost.

I'm wondering if I have the set up wrong, lower pressure yet?
Did others have to make suspension adjustments to get them to perform?
I see one guy in the Lap times thread did a 2:29 in GT500 with R888Rs. Makes me think I'm doing something wrong.
Trying to track down a set of NT01 to replace these, wondering it its necessary. They seem to be so far off the RE71R mark, I don't think they can be dialed in.

Thoughts ,suggestions?
Regarding how your tires looked after driving at Heartland, that is normal. I club race an RX7 there and it doesn't matter whether I am on Hoosier R7s or the new Goodyear DOT R comp's the tires show no wear after a session. It is related to the repave they did a few years ago. The new pavement sort of polishes the tires. Prior to that, Heartland shredded tires so this is an improvement.

As an aside, RA1's and NT01,s are the same tire they just look different. Oh, and I remember when the R888's came out as a replacement for the RA1 for Spec Miata. The Miata guys hated them and I think they let them go back to the RA1 which is an ancient tire design. For what ever reason, the R888 and the R888r has never been very good.

Jamongkad

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mathew
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT350
For what it's worth I see R888R's used by stance people due it's attractive pattern. I was considering it as a track day only tire for my car but backed out after doing the research. Glad I came to the same conclusion as ya'll.
Sponsored