R&T stated that Voodoo is close to 600HP instead of 526HP

Twenty4/7

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Robert
Vehicle(s)
2021 RR GT500
Depends on your driveline loss factor. For RWD, big tires and a roller dyno? 18% is common. Using that at 470 RWHP you get over 570 crank. Closer to 600 than to 526. I bet the car has a real 550 crank.
been dynoing cars for the last 10 years or so. 18% isnt really the norm for newer cars especially "sporty" ones. i think drivetrains have become more efficient AND sae hp ratings have changed in the last 10 years equalling lower advertised bhp. so being closer on the dyno to advertised bhp makes sense.
Sponsored

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Typically magazines quote crank horsepower for stock/factory cars since it's what the manufacture is rating it at.
because the factory has an actual engine dyno. They claim crank because they really are measuring crank output. If your dyno measures at the wheel then the only possible assertion they can make is wheel. And that's ignoring all the variables and 'massaging' the operator makes. Any claims made about crank from wheel are pure conjecture and guessing. If the operator is any good the guesses may be pretty accurate but the error bars are still quite large.

Last edited:

Rev Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 GT350R, 2023 BMW X3
because the factory has an actual engine dyno. They claim crank because they really are measuring crank output. If your dyno measures at the wheel then the only possible assertion they can make is wheel. And that's ignoring all the variables and 'massaging' the operator makes. Any claims made about crank from wheel are pure conjecture and guessing. If the operator is any good the guesses make be pretty accurate but the error bars are still quite large.
Correct but I thought we were just referring to the R&T article or magazine articles in general when they quote crank HP for stock cars. Either way, not saying you were wrong, just wasn't initially sure what you were directing it at.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
because the factory has an actual engine dyno. They claim crank because they really are measuring crank output. If your dyno measures at the wheel then the only possible assertion they can make is wheel. And that's ignoring all the variables and 'massaging' the operator makes. Any claims made about crank from wheel are pure conjecture and guessing. If the operator is any good the guesses make be pretty accurate but the error bars are still quite large.
Hot Rod tested a stock gen 3 coyote through factory intake, factory headers & cats & calibration and got 495 crank HP.

mavisky

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kyle
Vehicle(s)
2018 GT350
Correct but I thought we were just referring to the R&T article or magazine articles in general when they quote crank HP for stock cars. Either way, not saying you were wrong, just wasn't initially sure what you were directing it at.
Thwy
Hot Rod tested a stock gen 3 coyote through factory intake, factory headers & cats & calibration and got 495 crank HP.
Was that with all the accessories or without? Most of the testing I see them do is without and that can make a sizable differencd

Sponsored

stanglife

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
1993 Coyote Coupe
Can we start a new rumor? 2019 and 2020s have more horsepower!

shogun32

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Matt
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT/PP, '23 GB Mach1, '12 Audi S5 (v8+6mt)
Vehicle Showcase
Can we start a new rumor? 2019 and 2020s have more horsepower!
and they'll keep advancing timing all the way to 110 octane and will literally fly if you put the purple drank (unleaded AVgas) in the tank.

Meatball

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17 GT
I think the Gen3 has more power than advertised but not by that much. More like 460 statistical minimum, 470 or so typical. If it really had 495 it would blow away 455hp Camaros, which isn’t the case. Car & Driver uses standardized methods for accel testing and got trap speeds of 115, 114, 114 and 114 for the manual GT they tested 4 times (+ a 115 if you count the Bullitt). They got 116 and 118 IIRC for the 455hp Camaro which weighs under 100lbs less. 470 is about right for the 18+.

You’re confusing engine power with the amazing A10, esp combined with the gen3’s power curve. C&D got a 120mph trap speed with the A10GT the one time they tested it.

LSchicago

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Lloyd
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT/A 301A 5.0
Thwy

Was that with all the accessories or without? Most of the testing I see them do is without and that can make a sizable differencd
Alternator was on it, but I don't think the AC was on it.

Point45

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
josh
Vehicle(s)
19 gt350, 05 tacoma, 10 Ducati 1098SF
I love it when people talk about hp/tq it's like listening to fishing stories.

Someone on YouTube claimed he went 200mph in his 350.

Simple, this car just feels like a 500hp range car when you drive it. That and the countless dyno pulls. I wish it was a 600hp car but even if it was, it doesn't drive like one.

Sponsored

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
A stock 526 hp gt-350 can barely beat a 10-speed gt with 66 less hp. 600 no way probably more like 490 crank hp.
Did you come over here to just start an argument? 526 rating is reasonable. And if we all had 10 gears automatic gears to play with we'd be running silly numbers too. Plus beat it in what? Quarter mile? Standing mile? Time Attack?

In the quarter mile, trap speeds for both cars are about the same. In the 350's court, that's pretty good for an engine that has zero nut down low and starting from a stand still and running through 4 incomplete gears. The 10R80 cars run through nearly 6. Shows how healthy the top end of the GT350 is.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I love it when people talk about hp/tq it's like listening to fishing stories.

Someone on YouTube claimed he went 200mph in his 350.

Simple, this car just feels like a 500hp range car when you drive it. That and the countless dyno pulls. I wish it was a 600hp car but even if it was, it doesn't drive like one.
At one point in development it was significantly higher than 526. Blame packaging, bean counters, and that stupid flywheel.

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I think the Gen3 has more power than advertised but not by that much. More like 460 statistical minimum, 470 or so typical. If it really had 495 it would blow away 455hp Camaros, which isn’t the case. Car & Driver uses standardized methods for accel testing and got trap speeds of 115, 114, 114 and 114 for the manual GT they tested 4 times (+ a 115 if you count the Bullitt). They got 116 and 118 IIRC for the 455hp Camaro which weighs under 100lbs less. 470 is about right for the 18+.

You’re confusing engine power with the amazing A10, esp combined with the gen3’s power curve. C&D got a 120mph trap speed with the A10GT the one time they tested it.
I think MT needs to stop using K&N's dyno too which is routinely generous.

Dominant1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dr Frankenstang
Vehicle(s)
2016 gt/cs auto 3:55 gears
Vehicle Showcase
Did you come over here to just start an argument? 526 rating is reasonable. And if we all had 10 gears automatic gears to play with we'd be running silly numbers too. Plus beat it in what? Quarter mile? Standing mile? Time Attack?

In the quarter mile, trap speeds for both cars are about the same. In the 350's court, that's pretty good for an engine that has zero nut down low and starting from a stand still and running through 4 incomplete gears. The 10R80 cars run through nearly 6. Shows how healthy the top end of the GT350 is.
1st of all this thread isnt off limits to people who don’t own a gt-350, lets get that outta the way. Second of all the primary attributes of a gt-350 is its handling prowess not its so stated 526 crank hp. Not starting any fights, just stating for the power it claims to make it should roast a stock ten speed gt regardless of the fact that its a manual. Maybe the Tremec transmission gears should be more aggressive, Who knows. Ford should have given it more down low. Or maybe a set of 4:10’s would do the trick. The 2 cars are closer then they should be just going on the hp claims, that’s all I’m saying.

Last edited:

john@fatfab

Gold Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Shelby Omni
We have tons of baseline dyno runs for 350s and several 10 speed GT cars. I picked a couple of "average" results from both platforms and overlaid them. I did them in both RPM and wheel speed. Again trying to confidently say what actual crank HP from a chassis dyno is useless. Chassis dynos are good for looking at gains from other runs or comparing other cars done on the same dyno.

10 Speed VS GT350 Speed UC.jpeg
10 Speed VS GT350 RPM UC.jpeg
Sponsored

Last edited: