Sponsored

R.I.P. HR414....sad story

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Regarding side airbag deployment - or lack thereof..... here's a controversial statement.

I don't think that the 2015 - 17 R models had side airbags, but that has changed for 2018....
Nice work Detective Muligan. We can close this case :).

However, itā€™s pretty crappy that Ford skimped in this department.....especially when curtain airbags were a standard fit in other models.

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
[MENTION=29937]chitlins37[/MENTION] , I know how much you cared for that car. It was one of the finest examples of magnetic I've ever seen. The cquartz really made that car stand out and saying goodbye to that fine example must have been difficult. I still cant believe you survived that crash. Show me those pics without knowing the outcome and I would have guessed it went the other way. I hope I never have to find out myself, but your story does provide a great deal of peace of mind. I sincerely thank you for sharing and most of all, glad you made it out.
Thanks much Tom. I did and probably always will have a certain emotional attachment to that beautiful hunk of metal. The flat plane crank model might not ever leave my desk. That said, all things happen for a reason and I have certainly learned to cherish each day and been ā€˜re-focusedā€™ if you will on what is most important in life...faith, family and friends in my case. I have to admit the responses from the latter have been nothing short of incredible and I can see clearly now there are many friends here on the web, at work and otherwise I never knew I had.

Funny (a bit warped, but funny) story - several of the guys from work called to check on me as word spread during the week after my accident. And I guess youā€™d have to be in our office to understand we can be a bit of a harsh bunch so this was a bit unexpected and maybe a little touching. Well I stroll into work 8 days after the accident and find a ā€œRide or Dieā€ captioned Fast & Furious meme of Vin Diesel and Paul Walker taped underneath my nameplate next to my doorway. Yup, good to be back :D

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Nice work Detective Muligan. We can close this case :).

However, itā€™s pretty crappy that Ford skimped in this department.....especially when curtain airbags were a standard fit in other models.
Every now and then you wish there was a "negative thanks" button to click on. This is one of those posts.

The Chairman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
ā€˜09 GT500KR & ā€˜16 GT350 Track Pack & ā€˜20 GT500 HP
Every now and then you wish there was a "negative thanks" button to click on. This is one of those posts.
Agree. Hereā€™s a pix of my window sticker denoting side airbags on my 2016. There is also a tag on the side of the Recaro seat showing where the air bag is located.
4CB47779-C269-4780-90A6-EF141053F48B.jpeg

Sponsored

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
^^^^Hello? No-one is talking side airbags. Weā€™re talking curtain airbags.

I wasnā€™t being sarcastic. It was a good pick up.

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
That video was cold and disturbing to me. I don't know how you felt exactly, but that video says volumes about the post incident vultures that clean up after the me$$.
Just missed the car....didnt really think about the fella/business taking the video. Now some of the social media comments I saw on my wifeā€™s phone were pretty ignorant & callous...really glad to have had so many kind people helping me out while I was in the cast to offset it. Was cool how many folks I didnt even know were holding doors, picking up stuff or otherwise lookin out.

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
Just missed the car....didnt really think about the fella/business taking the video. Now some of the social media comments I saw on my wifeā€™s phone were pretty ignorant & callous...really glad to have had so many kind people helping me out while I was in the cast to offset it. Was cool how many folks I didnt even know were holding doors, picking up stuff or otherwise lookin out.

Glad you are OK, ignore the idiots. I would imagine most of the negative comments come from people who will never be in a position to own a GT350R and are quite jealous.

jlwdvm

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'17 350R, '13 Boss 302, '15 Z/28, '69 TA
That video was cold and disturbing to me. I don't know how you felt exactly, but that video says volumes about the post incident vultures that clean up after the me$$.

This company only deals in Mustangs, Camaros, Challengers, and a few Corvettes. They have had several GT350s and 500s in (that I have seen on their page). He posts up videos and pictures so people know what he has available, not to be negative...that's what all the keyboard warriors are for. Not sure what you think should be done with a totaled car that was a special model at one point in time. I would rather see the salvageable parts put to good use on someone elses 'stang instead of the thing being baled up and shipped to China. Just my thoughts as a Boss, GT350, and Z/28 owner.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
ā€œBaldā€ is a relative term when describing SC2ā€™s.

I drive mine to the Ford place the soon after purchase to check on a car of mine that was getting fixed and the techs came over to look at it and all of them said my tires were bald and would not meet inspection. :doh:
I did a long (600-mile) drive in ~40F weather with rain on SC2s when my car had ~750 miles on it. There were some hairy moments. But yes, brand new SC2s look "bald" on the outer half and don't handle standing water at all. Also, they do grip on wet pavement when hot, as in track temps - but they slide like hockey pucks when the temps are low.

Sorry about the wreck. That sucks, and I'm also glad the health outcome was so good.

For reference: here is a brand-new Michelin PSC2 mounted on an R carbon fiber wheel, before being mounted on the car.
30537398706_8c4661b268_b.jpg

Sponsored

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
For reference: here is a brand-new Michelin PSC2 mounted on an R carbon fiber wheel, before being mounted on the car.
previous tire image only showed two grooves, and the middle one looked worn down to about 1/8" or less. Some sort of alignment problem, which probably means reduced grip.

oldbmwfan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
previous tire image only showed two grooves, and the middle one looked worn down to about 1/8" or less. Some sort of alignment problem, which probably means reduced grip.
Not necessarily an alignment problem; look closely at my pic and you'll see the outer groove is VERY shallow from the factory.

These tires start at 6/32nd depth and only on the inner 2 grooves, so 1/8" (4/32") is technically less than half-worn. Still, this is important- at that point they are basically a slick and only good for dry road, and of course the tire compound doesn't work at temps below ~45F.

The outer/ shoulder grooves are also completely gone on the tread surface of the tire. That's how mine looked after 2 track days and ~2k miles (actually my outer edges were even more worn):
35210591132_9db23c2e62_b.jpg

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Not necessarily an alignment problem; look closely at my pic and you'll see the outer groove is VERY shallow from the factory.

These tires start at 6/32nd depth and only on the inner 2 grooves, so 1/8" (4/32") is technically less than half-worn. Still, this is important- at that point they are basically a slick and only good for dry road, and of course the tire compound doesn't work at temps below ~45F.
outer groove on the new tire does look shallow. How do these tires grip on asphalt compared to concrete, at say 45F ? Does heat cycles on a tire that is half worn make much difference ?

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
There is no outer groove and the shoulder sipes as well as those adjacent to the two inside grooves are gone. Also the area was in the upper 20's overnight and had no significant warming during the day. You draw your own conclusions. Glad the op is safe. The story, I dont buy.

jasonstang

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GB GT/CS 6MT
Oh wow. That is some impact considering the damage.
The problem is high performance car with grippy tires is that everything happens so quickly especially like when you are sliding in one direction and you over correct it. It will slingshot to the other direction so fast you can't even catch it fast enough.
Sponsored