Sponsored

R.I.P. HR414....sad story

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Question... if he car is being parted out, I wonder how long hat dash plaque lasts...

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
“Bald” is a relative term when describing SC2’s.
Here ya go.
looks bald to me.

I cannot remember if the OP said if there was any rain.

Even when new, the tread patterns doesn't look like its good for driving in rain, and tire rack confirms this. I assume it is this tire:

"Warning: Pilot Sport Cup 2 radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. And like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near- or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Lets all chip in and buy the airbag control module. Send it to me and I'll download the data.
Yeah, I’m a little concerned that the curtain airbags didn’t deploy. With an offset hit like that there would have been plenty of lateral acceleration for the sensors to detect.

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
looks bald to me.

I cannot remember if the OP said if there was any rain.

Even when new, the tread patterns doesn't look like its good for driving in rain, and tire rack confirms this. I assume it is this tire:

"Warning: Pilot Sport Cup 2 radials meet DOT requirements, however they are not recommended for driving in wet conditions where standing water is present and there is the risk of hydroplaning; drivers should drive cautiously at reduced speeds if they encounter these conditions. This is especially true of shaved or worn tires. And like other Streetable Track & Competition tires, these tires are not intended to be stored, serviced nor driven in near- or below freezing temperatures, through snow or on ice.

There was no rain. The tires had ~6k street miles on them at time of the accident. No burnouts or craziness. Heck it had just been to the dealer late November ~4k miles. Worst part I guess is that I had replacement tires in the basement for the next service appt. :(

Sponsored

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Yea. I was told the rear tires were bald as well. Looking up the weather history for that day in northern VA and it starts to come together.
Yeah...that’s about where I landed on the “how did this happen” side of things. Was nuts to get out in that kind of wind and road conditions, should’ve replaced tires at 5k miles, etc. Painful lessons to replay for sure.

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
May have been no rain but the temps had to be pretty cool that time of year, which could’ve affect the rubber dynamics of the SC2’s. Any temp < 35*F and you may be skating.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
May have been no rain but the temps had to be pretty cool that time of year, which could’ve affect the rubber dynamics of the SC2’s. Any temp < 35*F and you may be skating.
MPSSs 'skate' at anything below 40F on this car.

mustang1

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT
There was no rain. The tires had ~6k street miles on them at time of the accident. No burnouts or craziness. Heck it had just been to the dealer late November ~4k miles. Worst part I guess is that I had replacement tires in the basement for the next service appt. :(
Those tires didn't last very long. And they aren't cheap. Tire rack shows treadwear 180. Whereas my budget tires are treadwear 400. The wear did look uneven, with the outside wearing faster.

Yeah, I’m a little concerned that the curtain airbags didn’t deploy. With an offset hit like that there would have been plenty of lateral acceleration for the sensors to detect.
I am thinking the side airbags should have deployed. If you search youtube for "iihs moderate | small overlap, the late model cars deploy their side airbags.

Sponsored

ldp82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
GT350, Genesis 5.0 & 996 cab
I called the yard that had it. guy wants to keep the wheels and wing.

fpa1974

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 GT350R
Those tires didn't last very long. And they aren't cheap. Tire rack shows treadwear 180. Whereas my budget tires are treadwear 400. The wear did look uneven, with the outside wearing faster.
My Fiesta ST came with RE050As with 140 tread rating from Ford (yeah, I could not believe it either). The biggest difference here is the weight of the car. I have 5000 miles on those and at the rate they are wearing probably another 7000 or so is in order. That and they had full tread depth new. I am not complaining really but you got to pay to play.
In the limited time I had Cup2s on my GT350, after warming them up properly they are outstanding. They truly wake the car up vs the stock MPSSs (they are 30 profile vs 35 but that obviously is not the only reason). They do tramline but not much more than MPSSs again (both hands on wheel needed but that is not something unique to this car only). In the wet (no downpours or something similar) they performed fine as long as it is not cold (I do not push my luck on the street in the wet anyways). For a car that is not daily driven, IMO Cup2s are worth the admission price as long as you know what you are getting yourself into.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
Man that was tough to watch....sigh.
That video was cold and disturbing to me. I don't know how you felt exactly, but that video says volumes about the post incident vultures that clean up after the me$$.

Muligan

ARRR!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
G0059 / Former Track Attack #14 "The Rented Mule"
Regarding side airbag deployment - or lack thereof..... here's a controversial statement.

I don't think that the 2015 - 17 R models had side airbags, but that has changed for 2018.

'15 - '17 R models had a "T" as the fourth digit, but starting in '18 that changed to a "6" like the non-R cars have had all along.

Looking at Mustang VIN decoders available on-line, the "T" means that the car has "seat belts, front/knee airbags" while the "6" means that the car has "seat belts, front/side airbags."

Also, the "T" is used on all convertibles, so it wasn't a special digit to denote an R model, rather it is related to restraint systems.

Therefore, if the '15 - '17 R models have the same airbag systems as a convertible, then they don't have side airbags.... hence the non-deployment in the case of this '17.
Sponsored