R.I.P. HR414....sad story

Jimmy G

Hangin' about, waitin'..
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'19 Bullitt
Whoa, that was a big hit.

Glad to learn that you're on the mend. Did the curtain airbags deploy?
Sponsored

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
17' Magnetic GT350R / 70' Buick Skylark
Add me to the list of people telling you we are glad you are here, the car can be replaced, you can't. And wow, look at how well that S550 chassis protected you, good to see.

I have been absolutely crazy paranoid about Cup2's in the rain, and this makes me think this paranoia is justified. I hope I never get stuck in a huge downpour in the R, but if I do, it's going to be an exercise in extreme caution and a careful drive home or to an area to sit down for a while.
Yes, and if you don't mind me saying please add 5k+ miles (of any kind) to that paranoia list right beside rain. I thought I was still relatively low miles on them at 6k with folks here seemed to be replacing at 8-10k. Could not have been more wrong.

I actually never had issues in weather mode, got caught in the rain 2-3 times. But you are correct to be careful. Happy driving man!

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Whoa, that was a big hit.

Glad to learn that you're on the mend. Did the curtain airbags deploy?
Thanks Jimmy. I do not remember seeing them when I visited the salvage yard (wasn't conscious when they pulled me out). There was no side impact at all thought so maybe front impact alone would not set the sensors off?

OP
OP
chitlins37

chitlins37

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Glad you are ok, that looks pretty nasty.

You should download your event data recorder if you get a chance to. It will have a ton of information and be able to show the severity of the crash in data form. Where is the vehicle located now?

If that thing was anywhere under the hood I would be shocked if it is accessible and/or working tho. No idea where the car ended up. I said my "goodbyes" to it in the salvage yard in Southern MD a day or two after the accident.

CobraO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback
If that thing was anywhere under the hood I would be shocked if it is accessible and/or working tho. No idea where the car ended up. I said my "goodbyes" to it in the salvage yard in Southern MD a day or two after the accident.
It is under the radio at the bottom of the center stack. They purposely put them there because it is the closest to the center of gravity of the vehicle, and in the most unlikely place to get damaged. About the only thing that can get to them is fire.

Sponsored

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
This is one of the reasons I keep summer tires on my R... at least there is some tread there for the occasional sandy corner or rain. I tend to drive my R in weather when the SC2’s are on like a motorcycle... stop under a bridge and wait it out.

I learned quickly coming home from a car show one Saturday in a frank downpour that SC2’s will get you killed, even in “weather” mode. I like to refer to “weather” mode as “whether” mode... whether rain or shine you have to be careful on SC2’s.

FORDSTANGER

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Richard
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 TP
Wow, glad the injuries were not any worse. Puts things into perspective.
I’m in MD and can relate to the “debris” littered roads after those storms rolled through.

Hope you heal up quick and can get back in the saddle soon.

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible
This is one of the reasons I keep summer tires on my R... at least there is some tread there for the occasional sandy corner or rain. I tend to drive my R in weather when the SC2’s are on like a motorcycle... stop under a bridge and wait it out.

I learned quickly coming home from a car show one Saturday in a frank downpour that SC2’s will get you killed, even in “weather” mode. I like to refer to “weather” mode as “whether” mode... whether rain or shine you have to be careful on SC2’s.
I 100% agree. I was going to have [MENTION=27773]fpa1974[/MENTION] test drive one of my Rs, but it was raining all day. Push those cup2's in the rain would have been a disaster.

[MENTION=29937]chitlins37[/MENTION] , I know how much you cared for that car. It was one of the finest examples of magnetic I've ever seen. The cquartz really made that car stand out and saying goodbye to that fine example must have been difficult. I still cant believe you survived that crash. Show me those pics without knowing the outcome and I would have guessed it went the other way. I hope I never have to find out myself, but your story does provide a great deal of peace of mind. I sincerely thank you for sharing and most of all, glad you made it out.

CobraO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1968 Mustang Fastback
Lets all chip in and buy the airbag control module. Send it to me and I'll download the data.

Sponsored

Tomster

Beware of idiots
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Tom
Vehicle(s)
'20 RR GT500R(CFTP), 18 OW GT350R Base, '17 AG GT350R Electronics Pack, '97 PG Cobra Convertible

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R

DrumReaper

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
1971 429CJ Mach 1, 2012 Boss 302
Yea. I was told the rear tires were bald as well. Looking up the weather history for that day in northern VA and it starts to come together.
“Bald” is a relative term when describing SC2’s.

I drive mine to the Ford place the soon after purchase to check on a car of mine that was getting fixed and the techs came over to look at it and all of them said my tires were bald and would not meet inspection. :doh:

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
“Bald” is a relative term when describing SC2’s.

I drive mine to the Ford place the soon after purchase to check on a car of mine that was getting fixed and the techs came over to look at it and all of them said my tires were bald and would not meet inspection. :doh:

I requested a picture. The person making those statements is pretty versed on these cars.

Donkey

Large member
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Andrew
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT350R
Here ya go.
FB_IMG_1527180481255.jpg
Sponsored