Quietest axel-back exhaust

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
In the first video, you are accelerating hard and won't have drone. In your 2nd video at 11 seconds, that sounds like drone to me.

If you can, post a video at highway speeds (65 mph) or more importantly, 6th gear in the +/- 1900 rpm range. Although you have installed dynamat or some equivalent sound deadening material in your trunk and if I remember correctly, some type of moving blanket, the results may be different to others that don't have those installed.
Most camera microphones will not pick up the frequencies that cause drone very well at all (100-150 Hz). It's difficult for someone to show that.

Deleted member 35786

Think the consensus here is if you want the quietest axle back, either retain your complete stock system or at a minimum keep your factory resonator in place to alleviate any possible drone.:)

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
I have the Corsa Touring with the factory resonator and it is louder than stock but not obnoxious. At times I wish I had the stock back on but overall I am happy with the Corsa. Started with the Roush and they were way to loud. Went to Steeda and had terrible drone. Finally spent the money on Corsa Touring and have been happy.
Glad you like them! :like:

nastang87xx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 GT350 Track Pack
Drone happens on these cars at 134 - 138hz. Depending on your transmission and rear end ratio, that frequency will shift around. So that frequency range will show up at a different RPM with 10R80 auto and 3.55's than an MT82 manual with 3.55's.

Sponsored

kinchy

Kinchy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Wayne
Vehicle(s)
2019 GT Premium - Magnetic Black Accent -Manual Previous was 2016 GT Premium PP-Magnaflow -Short Throw Shifter
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2016 GT with a Roush axle-back exhaust already installed on it. I am not the type who likes a very loud/drone heavy exhaust. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with?
Depends on the definition of very loud. On my 2016 GT I installed the Magnaflow Street cat back since it was considered (on all the sound videos) to be the best choice if you wanted both small block V8 tone without sounding like a Harley on straight pipes minus baffles. Although I loved the transition it was still loud and under certain conditions (in the neighborhood) somewhat obnoxious. My 19 has the active exhaust and that really works. Loud and abusive when needed and quiet when in the hood. I realize many owners prefer loud and I get it. Frankly the "Normal" setting on the active exhaust is pretty loud and I keep it there.
Good luck

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP
A couple of weeks ago I purchased a 2016 GT with a Roush axle-back exhaust already installed on it. I am not the type who likes a very loud/drone heavy exhaust. Any suggestions on what I should replace it with?
I'm way, way late to the party -- I don't disagree with the "go back to stock, and put on an x-pipe" people -- but I'd consider going with what I've got: the SPL Loudmouth II's -- they are Roush axlebacks, but have more filament in them, making them quieter. The finishers look way better than stock, you'll keep more weight off than going back to stock and adding an x-pipe -- both Roush and SLP are part of Covington Performance Holdings -- I ordered mine directly from SLP, and got the confirmation email from Roush -- go figure. With these, you can hold a conversation and play music, but get a great sound when you step into it. I think you'd be disappointed with anything designed for an Ecoboost (was that suggestion in good faith?) -- I've also heard catbacks from MBRP -- an attractive, low cost way to go -- but all the ones I've heard are for "that assh*le" -- probably not at all the way to go if you're looking to tame it down a bit. I have my fire suit on -- flame away.

dman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 gt pp lightning
I'll start looking for a H pipe. Thanks for the heads up
I'll start looking for a H pipe. Thanks for the heads up
I also thought my friend's roush more than I wanted. went with MISHIMOTO x-pipe (quality build) . listened to a lot of sound clips at A.M. of both axle-backs and x/h pipes. really happy with my decision. by removing the resonator, you open the air flow and eliminate the baffles, adding a bit of performance and a better tone, especially on throttle...no drone. also the intake tube has the "baffle box " to kill sound. i kept the factory air box, added AFE filter and AIRAID intake tube.
definite addition to exhaust tone and a bit more torque response. bang for the buck and sound wise, a happy 'stanger. I drive some loud track cars and wanted tone but not what they bring. it does come down to personal preference and there are many ways to go. repeated listening to sound clips at AM
or on you tube...about the only way to judge and even then, gotta hear it "live" to know. good luck dman

Last edited:

mikeyjobu

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
15 GT PP

Sponsored

BmacIL

Enginerd
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Guard GT Base, M/T
Vehicle Showcase
Unless there's a neck down point I legit bet this flows better than the GT350 resonators because of more perforations and more resonator volume in the actual casing.
The internal piping is 2.25". It is not particularly restrictive but its design makes the high rev tone a bit farty sounding vs a resonated X-pipe (CJ PP one) or H pipe (Borla resonator). That's from the lack of direct flow crossover. It's likely missing a few high rpm hp as well for the same reason over an X-pipe.

Norm Peterson

corner barstool sitter
Threads
Reaction score
On a corner barstool not too far from I-95
First Name
Norm
Vehicle(s)
'08 GT #85, '19 WRX
That design looks like its main intention is to provide slightly different effective resonance lengths, right bank vs left. Which suggests that the basic exhaust arrangement itself is inherently subject to droning.

I'm guessing that the resonator is oriented inlet at the top in the picture, which puts what might be a smallish amount of flow sharing last.

Norm
Sponsored