Sponsored

Quick, dumb question about a flat OEM tire. Help appreciated!

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2021 Mach 1, 2016 Cayman GT4
So I get to my car to go to work this morning and see I have a completely flat tire. The good news is the tire needs replacing anyways, so I don't totally mind destroying it a bit ahead of schedule. The bad news is now I need to find a way to get it to the tire shop without a spare. It's only about 2-3 miles away. Here comes the likely stupid question: Can I drive on a flat tire that long without damaging the rims? (these are the 2015 GT PP Pirelli's, which I'm just about positive are not run-flats)

I swear I have the worst tire luck... Some tire has a leak at least once a year. Often twice. And I don't even drive that much. :frusty:
Sponsored

Quackfoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Black GT Premium
If it was a run flat the tire would look a little deflated but not down much. If the tire is complete flat, try a pump and see if it'll hold air long enough to get to the shop. If you run a completely flat tire you're going to destroy your rim over that distance.

69mach1-395

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 RR GT/CS
Going to have to remove the tire/wheel and take it to the shop...don't ruin your wheel.

fast88fox

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 DIB GT Premium PP
I assume your car just like my PP came with the compressor and can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. Unless you are actually are missing a large chunk of the tire these should get you to the tire place. You may just need to put air in it since it may last long enough to get to the shop. if you use the fix-a-flat make sure the tire shop cleans off the wheel before putting the new tire on.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
You will ruin your rim, DO NOT DRIVE ON A FLAT TIRE!!!!

When I lived in the ghetto, I'd see one moron driving on a completely flat tire, and other morons would see them doing it and assume it was o.k., and then I started seeing it more and more.

Again, you WILL destroy your rim, there's no question about it. You have a can of fix-a-flat and an air-pump in the trunk, use them. If possible, skip the fix-a-flat and just get air in the tire to get it to the shop.

Also, having so many punctures/flats, is normal with such sticky tires. They pick up stuff and fling it around, and it ends up as a puncture.

Sponsored

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I assume your car just like my PP came with the compressor and can of fix-a-flat in the trunk. Unless you are actually are missing a large chunk of the tire these should get you to the tire place. You may just need to put air in it since it may last long enough to get to the shop. if you use the fix-a-flat make sure the tire shop cleans off the wheel before putting the new tire on.

You will ruin your rim, DO NOT DRIVE ON A FLAT TIRE!!!!

When I lived in the ghetto, I'd see one moron driving on a completely flat tire, and other morons would see them doing it and assume it was o.k., and then I started seeing it more and more.

Again, you WILL destroy your rim, there's no question about it. You have a can of fix-a-flat and an air-pump in the trunk, use them. If possible, skip the fix-a-flat and just get air in the tire to get it to the shop.

Also, having so many punctures/flats, is normal with such sticky tires. They pick up stuff and fling it around, and it ends up as a puncture.
Thanks guys, I was almost certain of this, but just wanted to be sure.

Considering that the tire lost ~33 PSI in probably around 48 hours, I didn't think there was anyway I'd be able to inflate it with the dinky compressor kit I have, but I'll give it a shot. In fact, I was pretty sure the tire was already destroyed enough to not be inflatable/repairable in the first place.

I'm guessing in most of these cases, one needs to remove the wheel in order to properly find and repair the leak?

VinnAY

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
18 Camaro 1SS/1LE
Call roadside, too, they'll take care of you but if it took 48hrs to let it all out and you can get air in it now, I'd pump it to about 40psi and drive it straight over there.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
Call roadside, too, they'll take care of you but if it took 48hrs to let it all out and you can get air in it now, I'd pump it to about 40psi and drive it straight over there.
Yeah, if it took 2 days to lose the nitrogen, pumping it back up will be fine for a 2-3 mile drive to the shop.

Remember to have your new tires filled with nitrogen, and be sure to check the pressures when it's done. Tell them to set the pressures at exactly 32PSI.

Sponsored

yomamma219

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang EB Premium Pony Pack "4HORSEMEN"
I just puncture a tire last week and used the inflate and seal kit. I really had to screw the compressor onto my valve steam hard, to the point I thought I'd break the plastic. The first two times, I didn't do it hard enough and got fix-a-flat all over my tire and rim.

I would advise you first try to pump it up without the fix a flat to test the connection between the compressor and the valve stem. You can also then see if how bad your leak is and if you need to use the sealant to get to the shop. The sealant part of the compressor is suppose to be a single shot so you have to buy an extra cartridge if you use it.

Its really easy to use once I figured it all out. Even more so then changing a tire. The tire shops just threw a tantrum when I told them I wanted it patched and had used fix-a-flat b/c they had to clean it out.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just puncture a tire last week and used the inflate and seal kit. I really had to screw the compressor onto my valve steam hard, to the point I thought I'd break the plastic. The first two times, I didn't do it hard enough and got fix-a-flat all over my tire and rim.

I would advise you first try to pump it up without the fix a flat to test the connection between the compressor and the valve stem. You can also then see if how bad your leak is and if you need to use the sealant to get to the shop. The sealant part of the compressor is suppose to be a single shot so you have to buy an extra cartridge if you use it.

Its really easy to use once I figured it all out. Even more so then changing a tire. The tire shops just threw a tantrum when I told them I wanted it patched and had used fix-a-flat b/c they had to clean it out.
So you didn't have to remove the tire to patch it?

Yeah, if it took 2 days to lose the nitrogen, pumping it back up will be fine for a 2-3 mile drive to the shop.

Remember to have your new tires filled with nitrogen, and be sure to check the pressures when it's done. Tell them to set the pressures at exactly 32PSI.
I don't really know how long it took, I haven't driven the car since Friday evening, but I will try to fill it when I get home. I'm not terribly confident it will hold air.

You mean from Ford? Do they have some kinda cheap roadside assistance if you're within warranty or something? The dealer I bought from is 200 miles away, if that's at all relevant.

But $725 for all four tires on the GTPP is a f***king amazing price, especially if that includes installation, but probably even otherwise.

NoVaGT

Banned
Banned
Banned
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2019 PP1 GT Kona
So you didn't have to remove the tire to patch it?
Yes, yes you do. They must be patched from the inside.

You mean from Ford? Do they have some kinda cheap roadside assistance if you're within warranty or something? The dealer I bought from is 200 miles away, if that's at all relevant.
Ford has free roadside assistance for the first 3yr/36k period. At least they did on my 2012, and I'm assuming it's on my 2016.

jdoug

Regular Guy
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Doug
Vehicle(s)
2019 Mustang GT A10
I had a flat a couple weeks ago when I came out to the parking lot at work to go to lunch. Since I have roadside assistance and didn't want to mess with that compressor/slime crap, I just had it towed (well, flatbed) to the tire shop for repair.

OP
OP
RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
I just remembered that I have the roadside assistance coverage with Geico and set up an appointment for them to get it to the tire repair shop tomorrow.

I'm not sure if that's any better/worse than using Ford (probably makes no difference), but I'm guessing Ford also would want me to take the car to a Ford dealer where they would just supply me with OEM tires.

In any case, woohoo for [nearly] free towing...! I kinda love Geico.
Sponsored