Sponsored

Questions for the detail guys on Chemicals Guys products

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Challenger Scat Pack
I'm getting in to detailing my own car to save money and have the satisfaction of doing things myself. I've done a few basic washes with Chemical guys products but I want to get into waxing/claying/paint sealing type stuff.

So far I have the Mr. Pink and Citrus soap, foam gun, a clay bar kit with lube and a bottle of the jet seal sealant. What other products should I be looking at? My car is oxford white and I noticed they make a wax type product specifically for white/ light colored cars.

They have SO MANY products on sale I can't really figure out what I need to get a real nice and long lasting finish on the car. If anyone can point me in the right direction with this stuff and what order to do everything in I would really appreciate it. Sorry for the long winded post, I'm just pretty ignorant on detailing still and want to make sure I do it right. Thanks! :cheers:
Sponsored

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Guard Metallic
I plan on getting the Butter Wet Wax, seems like a lot of people like it. Instead of buying a designated clay lube or detail spray I used a clean bucket of soapy water (the citrus shampoo you have)/wash mitt as the lubricant for claying my car. Whether or not you buy his detailing products check out Ammo NYC videos on YouTube.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
There are better products for the money than chemical guys. Theyre really over hyped. They arent bad products they just ask too much when there is cheaper that is better or products priced the same that are superior.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
There are better products for the money than chemical guys. Theyre really over hyped. They arent bad products they just ask too much when there is cheaper that is better or products priced the same that are superior.
Examples? What do you like? Your post doesn't add anything to the discussion.

mustang_guy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
it has an engine!
Examples? What do you like? Your post doesn't add anything to the discussion.
I wasnt going to share any examples. People can research it for themselves and see what they would like better. But its very true that chemical guys is over priced. Just because im not telling people brands to buy instead didnt mean i didnt add to the topic

Sponsored

Duttch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 Mustang GT (Guard color)
I used pete 53 paste wax with good results.

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Thanks for the responses. I guess really my main question is what order would I use the products I listed. Mainly the white wax or jet seal first?

BlueThunder

***ding Rookie
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 Silver Mustang PP1 Manual (former 2015 GT Auto)
Thanks for the responses. I guess really my main question is what order would I use the products I listed. Mainly the white wax or jet seal first?
Tons of threads and things on this already, but considering you don't know if you should wax or seal first, you definitely need to get some steps down first. Remember a sealant is a paint sealant and should always go over perfectly clean, clayed, possibly polished and corrected paint.

If your car is fairly new then you can likely skip any polishing. Just use the best soap you have (one without any sort of wax built in). Wash the car, rinse it, then clay it using a detail spray, making sure to buff off the remains. Then wash it again with a mix of car soap and something like Dawn (or a strip wash if you have it) which will remove any sort of wax/sealant etc. as well as any leftovers from your clay job.

Now is when you'd apply your jet-seal or any other paint sealant, on a perfectly clean, fresh, and dry clear coat. Once that sets up (they all have different curing times), then you can apply your wax. You never wax first because most waxes have a short life-span on a car, so if you were to put sealant over the wax, the sealant would come off with the wax after a few weeks/months when a sealant should be on top of your clear-coat for 3/6/9 months to a year depending on what you use.

Labradog

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Jeff
Vehicle(s)
Wally like I said check out Larry Kosilla's AMMO NYC YouTube channel. He's an extremely knowledgeable detailer with videos on proper wash techniue, claying, polishing, etc... And he's not trying to sell you a product in every video like Chemical Guys.

PatrickGT

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 GT PP
CG products are pure hype and marketing. Nearly every product category has 3 others I'd choose first.

OP make a list of product categories you're interested in researching and we can provide many better options... CG, Griots, Zaino.. mostly paying for marketing there.

Sponsored

2015Etrac

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Black 2016 Mustang GT Premium 401a
I'm not a pro but I use Meguires Ultimate 105 Compound, followed by Chemical Guys V38 Polish, followed by Chemical Guys Butter Wax. If the paint is not bad you can use Chemical Guys VSS which is a compound/polish in one for light swirls, but I still follow that with V38 Polish. I do like the Butter Wax because you can apply it and wipe it off right away, they claim you can even apply it while the car is still wet, which I wouldn't do, but if you're in a hurry....

number6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium +PP
Really? I don't find the Chemical Guys stuff over hyped or over priced... I mean yeah, it's marginally more expensive than what you'd buy off the shelf at an auto parts store, but I find it to be way better in quality. Plus for me with just 2 vehicles, the stuff lasts for quite a long time. I may go through 2 gallons of wash per year.

Price wise CG is right in line with Griot's and slightly less expensive than Adam's. At least that's what I've found from shopping. In the end I guess it's just your personal preference.

To the OP - I've only started using CG products since I got my S550 this year, but I have had awesome results with their stuff. So much so that I now have about 10-12 different products of theirs. In the past, I've used a lot of Sonax product.

OP
OP
Wally

Wally

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
CG products are pure hype and marketing. Nearly every product category has 3 others I'd choose first.

OP make a list of product categories you're interested in researching and we can provide many better options... CG, Griots, Zaino.. mostly paying for marketing there.
Really? I don't find the Chemical Guys stuff over hyped or over priced... I mean yeah, it's marginally more expensive than what you'd buy off the shelf at an auto parts store, but I find it to be way better in quality. Plus for me with just 2 vehicles, the stuff lasts for quite a long time. I may go through 2 gallons of wash per year.

Price wise CG is right in line with Griot's and slightly less expensive than Adam's. At least that's what I've found from shopping. In the end I guess it's just your personal preference.

To the OP - I've only started using CG products since I got my S550 this year, but I have had awesome results with their stuff. So much so that I now have about 10-12 different products of theirs. In the past, I've used a lot of Sonax product.
I honestly don't think they make bad products either. I bought all this stuff when they were doing a Labor Day sale. But anyways, I just want to wash, clay and wax/ paint seal. I assume the paint seal would go on first and then wax on top of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

SpeedLu

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Premium PP1 Mustang GT, 2017 F-150 Platinum FX4
I'm a big fan of Chemical Guys, I have a lot of their catalogue.

number6

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium +PP
I honestly don't think they make bad products either. I bought all this stuff when they were doing a Labor Day sale. But anyways, I just want to wash, clay and wax/ paint seal. I assume the paint seal would go on first and then wax on top of that. Please correct me if I'm wrong.
You are correct. I emailed their support to ask a very similar question a few months back. Clay >> Seal >> Wax
Sponsored