Questions after my first time at the dyno - 2017 Mustang GT 6-speed manual

GT9449

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Michael
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT, 6 speed
I just got back from my first ever experience of running a car on a dyno. I did not know what to expect but I was a bit disappointed in the numbers but was glad for finally experiencing a dyno run.

A brief overview of my car is that I purchased it as a second owner through Carvana this past December. The Ford Dealership near me had to replace the intake manifold in January due to significant misfires on cylinder 2, plus 3 other cylinders misfiring (intake runners 'sticking' I think?). Anyway, the car came with a great sounding exhaust & I was curious to see if anything else was done to the car. I found out today that the exhaust is actually a resonator delete with glass packs by the exhaust tips. Not exactly what I was hoping for but I guess it's better than nothing..

So, I took it to a shop a block away from work that uses a Dyno called 'Dyno Dynamics' & was not expecting the numbers I was given. Before the pulls, the owner informed me that he would expect around 300 RWHP from a stock auto & 320 RWHP from a stock manual. I was shocked because, from what I've read, an auto should be around 348 RWHP (20% loss from the crank) & a manual should be around 370 RWHP (15% loss from the crank).

The first run was in 4th gear & I made 348.7 RWHP. The second run was in 4th gear & I made just over 318 RWHP (owner/tuner said it was due to 'heat soak'). On the 3rd run I asked him if he could due the pull in 5th gear as I've read that is where the 1:1 ratio is & I made 351.1 RWHP.

I've read that Dyno Dynamics are the 'let down dyno' & that they underestimate the true RWHP, sometimes upwards of 12%-13%. The owner/tuner said that these dynos are one of the most accurate dynos & are even more accurate than Mustang dynos & that Dynojets always overestimate the true RWHP. I will attach run #1 & run #3 as run #2 was so bad that we excluded it. I wish I had asked for him to change the readings from MPH to RPMs but I failed to due so, so here we are...

For what it's worth, this is the guy that owns the shop that I took my car to & is who did my dyno runs:

Tl;Dr: My first dyno experience was with a Dyno Dynamics dyno & my best pull was at 351.1 RWHP. My questions are: Is this my true RWHP? What would I expect on a Dynojet dyno? What is my estimated HP at the crank? I am new to all of this & am trying to get a good understanding on what to expect.

Edit: Changed Dynomatic to Dyno Dynamics.
Sponsored

Attachments

Last edited:

kluke15

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Kenny
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GTPP
stock gen 2 should be around 380-390 from what ive seen. i would imagine unless something is wrong that the dyno you used was low. pulls prob should have been done in 5th also

meauxcg

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
C
Vehicle(s)
08 GT500 Coyote
Find a different shop. Something is quite off with guys info.
Sponsored