Questions about getting a custom tune for Roush supercharger

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
When Muscle mustangs and Fast Fords tested the 2017 Roush RS3, this is what they quoted for stock runs with tires only.

"If you do it right, and you have traction with decent weather, you’ll be traveling at roughly 123 mph when you cross the stripe, which takes just 11.30 seconds. Our best run was 11.28 at 124 mph, but averaged mid-11.30s over a dozen or so runs. "
Sponsored

ugstang17

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
none
Sorry to hear you waited 3 years to do this. You'll be asking yourself after the retune why you were so overly protective. Speaking from first hand experience. Installed the Roush kit with warranty on a 13 GT and within 9 months said screw it, retuned through VMP Performance and never again regretted anything short of not doing it sooner. Cats or no cats the difference is night and day. I run factory cats and prefer them over catless after going that route several times on previous builds.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Lund took my 16 with a TVS/Roush blower from barely spinning the 235's to running a 10.51@131 with only a catback. That was on a 93 tune and the 85mm pulley also. I added catless headers and ran a 10.40@135. Well worth the gains you will see
That’s awesome !
How is the drivability when just cruising ?

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
Sorry to hear you waited 3 years to do this. You'll be asking yourself after the retune why you were so overly protective. Speaking from first hand experience. Installed the Roush kit with warranty on a 13 GT and within 9 months said screw it, retuned through VMP Performance and never again regretted anything short of not doing it sooner. Cats or no cats the difference is night and day. I run factory cats and prefer them over catless after going that route several times on previous builds.
Just curious, how come you prefer cats to catless ?
& have you had problems with burning out your cats ?

Sponsored

WhiteyDog

WOOF!!!
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'16 GT PP
Same here as what some of the other guys have said. I have the Roush/Ford racing supercharger with Kook's headers and high flow cats. I had the headers on the car before the supercharger was installed, so I never had the Roush tune or the warranty. I've had a Lund tune in mine for four years and it simply cannot run any better than what it does. Smooth idle and acceleration, seamless tip in and WOT operation. No surging, no hesitation, no codes, no nothin', ever. NEVER had a problem.

beetle6986

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
16 Mustang GT, 04 Cobra, 2008 BMW 335
So my 3 year warranty is up on my Roush supercharger and I’m considering going with a custom tune this spring when I put the car back on the road. My biggest problem is that I’m once bitten twice shy on pulling the trigger. Reason being, to make a long story short, had a 1994 Mustang GT from brand new, pumped a ton of money into it, including a top end engine kit and custom tune. Car never ran properly after that. Hanging idle was so bad it just wasn’t drivable. The shop that did the work couldn’t fix the problem and eventually refused to even bother trying. No one else wanted to tune it because of it being a 94 ECU. Apparently 94-95 were harder to tune.
After not driving it for almost 8 years, was sick and tired of looking at it in my garage. Traded it in on my 16. And here we are.
So, clearly the Roush tune has left a lot on the table but it does drive really well. My friends and family think I’m crazy for even mentioning a custom tune due to the history. My questions I guess are :
-how reliable is getting a custom tune for drivability?
-if I get a custom tune, is that it for my Roush tune? Is it gone for good?
-am I crazy for even considering this because it’s probably already enough power and drivability is just about perfect?
Thanks in advance.

I have a 2016 GT/CS also. Definitely get the tune. It will make a huge difference. When I first got the car I questioned the HP. I was pretty sure my 450 WHP cobra felt equally as fast which just didn't make sense with a difference of about 200 HP and 50 TQ. I got the tune that VMP offers for the roush cars. It includes the ngauge and the tune. It definitely feels faster. I have only done a couple of data logs, but the tune seems to be spot on. It pretty much drives like stock unless you step on the go pedal.

My Roush tune was running pretty rich in the 10s throughout much of the powerband. I think their timing isn't as aggressive also since they have to accommodate places with 91 octane. I asked for a 93 octane tune and I add a few ounces of boostane to each tank just to be safe.

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
With almost every state requiring emissions tests keeping a tune that allows you to pass the testing process is of Paramount importance if your cars a daily driver as mine is.

djcodeman

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2015 GT roush SC
Lund took my 16 with a TVS/Roush blower from barely spinning the 235's to running a 10.51@131 with only a catback. That was on a 93 tune and the 85mm pulley also. I added catless headers and ran a 10.40@135. Well worth the gains you will see
Sickkk
I am def interested in those kind of performance gains... already have many upgrades... need to take the car to the track and dyno to see what it is performing at.

Sponsored

FUN2RIDEFAST

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Mike
Vehicle(s)
2017 Mustang GT Premium/PP
Vehicle Showcase
like a stock car
I've got a 2017 PP with a Roush Phase 2 with Roush axle backs and suspension mods. I had the supercharger installed this past November and the cars a beast. My problem with even considering an aftermarket tune is passing emissions here in my state. I'll be installing some Outlaw axles this coming week and hopefully a trip to the drag strip soon after. I put a pair of R2 drag redials on the car and it's made it drivable.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic
I'll be installing some Outlaw axles this coming week
Just be aware of the drone this causes. Might want to consider other axle back options if you can unless you don't mind this. Flowmaster should rebranded drone master.

AZ18yote

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bryan
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT Prem PP Magnetic