Sponsored

Questions about getting a custom tune for Roush supercharger

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT/CS, 2016 Explorer Sport, 2015 Ram 1500 Sport, 1968 Firebird
Vehicle Showcase
So my 3 year warranty is up on my Roush supercharger and I’m considering going with a custom tune this spring when I put the car back on the road. My biggest problem is that I’m once bitten twice shy on pulling the trigger. Reason being, to make a long story short, had a 1994 Mustang GT from brand new, pumped a ton of money into it, including a top end engine kit and custom tune. Car never ran properly after that. Hanging idle was so bad it just wasn’t drivable. The shop that did the work couldn’t fix the problem and eventually refused to even bother trying. No one else wanted to tune it because of it being a 94 ECU. Apparently 94-95 were harder to tune.
After not driving it for almost 8 years, was sick and tired of looking at it in my garage. Traded it in on my 16. And here we are.
So, clearly the Roush tune has left a lot on the table but it does drive really well. My friends and family think I’m crazy for even mentioning a custom tune due to the history. My questions I guess are :
-how reliable is getting a custom tune for drivability?
-if I get a custom tune, is that it for my Roush tune? Is it gone for good?
-am I crazy for even considering this because it’s probably already enough power and drivability is just about perfect?
Thanks in advance.
Sponsored

Jordan @ Lethal

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.lethalperformance.com
First Name
Jordan
Vehicle(s)
2016 Stingray M7
With these cars in todays world of tuning, it's really not difficult to have a ridiculously powerful car that also drives great. The Roush tune leaves a lot to be desired so you're not crazy. You honestly could keep it simple and just do aftermarket tuning from someone like Palm Beach Dyno and get plenty of extra power without even changing equipment although I recommend long tube headers and removing the cats if your area is accommodating.

https://www.lethalperformance.com/s...8-gt/2015-2017-ford-mustang-gt/custom-tunes-1

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Ford Mustang GT Base PP1 6MT Rapid Red
What the Roush tune gets you is cat safety. Its meant to run rich and have a cat saving feature. I believe thats why Jordan feels its better to remove the cats. Not only for more power with a more aggressive tune, at the detriment to the OEM or aftermarket cats.

Dave

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Palm beach dyno tune here with roush blower and the car operates flawlessly and definitely woke the car up as well. You will lose the roush tune permanently though but no reason to go back lol.

engineermike

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2018 GTPP A10
What is your reason for wanting a tune? Change shift points? Raise rev limiter? 123 bug? E85? Turn on gear indicator light? Change idle speed? More power? More torque?

Sponsored

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Also the Roush blower has an EO # with supplied software. You deviate from this and you lose it.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
What is your reason for wanting a tune? Change shift points? Raise rev limiter? 123 bug? E85? Turn on gear indicator light? Change idle speed? More power? More torque?
No e85 here and I have a manual tranny so it’s definitely for more power. A few years ago I went for a ride in a mustang with a Lund tuned Whipple and it was what I would expect a supercharged mustang to be. It was crazy the difference. Although my Roush supercharger is a lot of power, it doesn’t feel a whole lot more than stock to be honest. Kinda disappointing. I know more power is there with a real tune. I just want to make sure the drivability will be good. A supercharged car should feel just that, supercharged.

OP
OP
BMAGOO

BMAGOO

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Vehicle Showcase
Palm beach dyno tune here with roush blower and the car operates flawlessly and definitely woke the car up as well. You will lose the roush tune permanently though but no reason to go back lol.
Are you running cat deletes and long tubes ?

Dave2013M3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
No e85 here and I have a manual tranny so it’s definitely for more power. A few years ago I went for a ride in a mustang with a Lund tuned Whipple and it was what I would expect a supercharged mustang to be. It was crazy the difference. Although my Roush supercharger is a lot of power, it doesn’t feel a whole lot more than stock to be honest. Kinda disappointing. I know more power is there with a real tune. I just want to make Supercharged Mustangsure the drivability will be good. A supercharged car should feel just that, supercharged.

Interesting read..Supercharged Mustang

Sponsored

Red5.0

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
15 mustang gt race red non pp
Yes I am running mak cat deletes and I know exactly what you mean about the car not feeling like it should. After the tune, the car will feel like an actual supercharged mustang. My car made 573whp on dyno jet stock with roush tune, then it made 610whp with cat delete and palm beach dyno tune and no other changes. Mine is a 16 auto.

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
I like what VMP can do for the 2017 Roush RS3's. This is my 3rd car that I have used VMP for tuning.
I did their 730 hp kit and the tune was really good. The auto transmission was shifting a little too hard for me, so they toned that down, so now it's good. Love the new power, runs smooth, very crisp and responsive power.
Also did the Triple pass, dual fan Heat Exchanger and upgraded pump.
If you get it tuned, The Ngauge is the only way to fly.
I had used the SCT X cal before, but the Ngauge, you can fully data log, watch up to 6 PID while driving, it's very nice.
I am sold on the NGauge!!

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)
Also the Roush blower has an EO # with supplied software. You deviate from this and you lose it.
When I spoke with VMP about tuning, they assured me that the nGauge would save the Roush tune and that I could return to it for comparison purposes. Another poster in a different thread with a VMP tune on his Roush confirmed that....although I am not sure if he ever tried to return to the Roush tune.

Not to dispute your post but are you absolutely sure that the Roush tune is lost when going custom?

brucelinc

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Bruce
Vehicle(s)
2018 Mustang GT premium A10 (SOLD)

stanger1

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Dave
Vehicle(s)
2013 Shelby GT500-Sold, 2017 Roush RS3
The Ngauge saves your stock tune onto a mini SD card, which then, you can save the file on your computer, if you would like to do so, then it's always there, both Mini SD and Computer.
Tuners don't wipe out the stock tune, they build into it, just changing the parameters that are needed.
That why they want your stock tune to write your new tune.
Sponsored