Sponsored

Questions about adding power

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I'm pretty undereducated when it comes to adding power to cars. I know the basic function of both a turbo and a supercharger but that's about it. Haven't even bought my car yet but once the warranties run out, I'd like to be better educated and maybe have a plan ready to follow through with. I'd appreciate some info or just pointing me in the direction of where specifics can be found.

First off when it comes to adding power, for those who have done it in the S550...why did you go with a turbo over a supercharger...or a supercharger over a turbo?

I've seen it mentioned in a few places that the MT-82 isn't really meant to handle more power and should be replaced if adding power. However, I've also seen vids where the stock trans was kept and did 800-900whp. So I'm a little confused there. Any clarification would be great.

When it comes to cost, one thing I have seen is that the sky is the limit depending on how far you want to go. But, if possible, can any ballpark figures be given for your average tune, labor, and parts to add either a turbo or SC?

Thanks!

-Emt1581
Sponsored

Obsol3te

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
'15 GT PP
Well, why did I go S/C over turbo?
Price, power delivery and ease of installation. The P/D blower is basically a manifold swap.

I can't comment on the whole MT82 possibly grenading, but at the very least replace the clutch. I'm sure I'll have more information for this by the summer as I start adding more supporting mods and actually get to bring the car to the track.

As far as cost? 10,000 is a good ballpark to get your blower and supporting mods. As far as paying someone to install? Couldn't answer that one either. There are plenty of write-ups on this forum and you can do a lot of the work yourself.
I'm working out of a small garage with basic hand tools and I plan on tackling almost everything I'll do to the car.
And as far as what supporting mods should you get along with the blower/turbo? Half-shafts, clutch and Timing Gear/Oil pump gear.
That should set you up for success down the road. Of course some sticky tires as well, no use in having all that power if you're just burning up street tires.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I went with a Centri SC for low cost, low IATs, and ease of install. The MT82 will hold 700-800rwhp just fine once you swap the clutch. I did a stage I upgrade on the trans which basically just replaces the plastic/nylon parts with metal ones to beef up some of the internals. I did this mostly for longevity.

Other than the blower/turbo kit the only thing you NEED to have is the oil pump gear. Nice to haves are half shafts, driveshaft, timing gear, clutch eventually, etc.

LethalPerformance

Diamond Sponsor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2020 Shelby GT500 CFTP, 2021 Whipple'd F150
We run the Whipple kit on our car and are pushing around the 875rwhp mark. Stock motor and stock trans. We've had 0 issues so far and have gone 9.7@150mph with it.

The Whipple setup is by far the nicest one out there. Most complete setup with in my opinion the best engineering. We offer it with the Whipple calibration which has been getting amazing feedback lately from all of our customers as well as with the option for a custom tune from Lund Racing.

If you guys have any questions regarding the Whipple kit or any other supercharger kits we offer please feel free to give us a call.

Thanks, Jared

[ame]
[ame]

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
2016 Mustang GT Premium PP Oxford White
I agree with Obsol3te that $10k for the SC/Turbo and supporting mods (depending on what all you choose). My local speed shop is $100 an hour for labor. My Whipple install is $1,500. The OPG and Srocket add an additional $400 in labor. I will be doing the Whipple calibration, but the shop does Lund dyno tuning. He charges $150 for the dyno time and his time. I am not sure how much additional cost goes to Lund. My rear axles are $150 for labor. All in, out the door with a before and after dyno done, I am at about $12,500 total spent.

Sponsored

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
It depends, if your looking for a fast street car with 650 whp you don't really need to upgrade anything. Stock clutch will last a while depending on tires, so eventually a stronger clutch. IRS wheel hop control is a good idea as well but you can pick away at that. Technically you can slap in a whipple or Kenne bell TVS or centi and go most kits are complete. My money is on whipple, but I love the Kenne Bell and Travis at Boostworks is giving great service and great discounts as well. I'm partial to twin screw systems and they are great performers for these motors.

Whipple on sale at Lethal coming soon under 7k with upgraded crusher throttle body and large injectors complete kit with calibration and flare tool. Whipples kit and calibration is unbelievable turn key system and flight controls and the guardian features are unmatched. Whipples calibration is not only powerful but has unbelievable safety features to save your motor form detonation for bad fuel, heat buildup and more. They also just added fuel pressure sensing to protect your motor in case of a lean condition due to fuel pressure drop.

Kenne Bell with Travis at boost works is another awesome kit coming in under $7k with huge throttle body and larger injectors. They also have Lund calibration or Kenne Bells house calibration.

Roh92cp

Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Shawn
Vehicle(s)
OW GTPP Whipple
As far as timing sprocket and oil pump gear needing to be replaced read this and pat attention to what whipple and Travis at Boostworks have to say. They both claim literally thousands of 15/16 with no issues. Read the last post for sure.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34754&page=6

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
As far as timing sprocket and oil pump gear needing to be replaced read this and pat attention to what whipple and Travis at Boostworks have to say. They both claim literally thousands of 15/16 with no issues. Read the last post for sure.

http://www.mustang6g.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34754&page=6
Not a "need". But nothing wrong with doing it if you have the funds. Too many people saying DON'T get them. That's dumb. I am also not saying you def should get them, thats dumb as well. Its 100% personal choice and a matter of what u wana spend, and what your end game goal is. You already have the front of the vehicle torn down a decent amount to install the SC. Its a good time to save time, and throw the OPG and Sprocket in at that time. Again, not saying you need to though. Seems like the folks that have them say you absolutely need them. The people that do not have them say that people who bought them just wasted money and don't need them. I believe in the happy medium, and "need" is pointless when it comes to modding. You don't "need" ANY mods lol

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
It depends, if your looking for a fast street car with 650 whp you don't really need to upgrade anything. Stock clutch will last a while depending on tires, so eventually a stronger clutch. IRS wheel hop control is a good idea as well but you can pick away at that. Technically you can slap in a whipple or Kenne bell TVS or centi and go most kits are complete. My money is on whipple, but I love the Kenne Bell and Travis at Boostworks is giving great service and great discounts as well. I'm partial to twin screw systems and they are great performers for these motors.

Whipple on sale at Lethal coming soon under 7k with upgraded crusher throttle body and large injectors complete kit with calibration and flare tool. Whipples kit and calibration is unbelievable turn key system and flight controls and the guardian features are unmatched. Whipples calibration is not only powerful but has unbelievable safety features to save your motor form detonation for bad fuel, heat buildup and more. They also just added fuel pressure sensing to protect your motor in case of a lean condition due to fuel pressure drop.

Kenne Bell with Travis at boost works is another awesome kit coming in under $7k with huge throttle body and larger injectors. They also have Lund calibration or Kenne Bells house calibration.
Couldn't agree more. Both of the KB & Whipple systems are extremely nice. KB is just an all around beast with that Mammouth TB. And Whipple with all of the tuning options is just amazing. I know Beefcake has some awesome deals going on now as well with the Paxton. That Paxton is soooo sexy looking.

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
I just didn't want to be the guy that was spending $15k in parts and wouldn't spring for the $300 OPG so he didn't grenade his engine. YMMV.

Sponsored

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
^^ Exactly. Your that far in money wise, why not do it. But if you're not doing it yourself, it is definitely a noticeable expense. So I do totally get why many people choose not to do it.

evo8904

I'm a member???
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Luther
Vehicle(s)
2017 Ram 4x4
I just didn't want to be the guy that was spending $15k in parts and wouldn't spring for the $300 OPG so he didn't grenade his engine. YMMV.
Lol, that's one of the reasons that I did the opg and timing gear.

OP
OP

Emt1581

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
2017 Magnetic Mustang GT w/PP & TurboBooster Seat
I appreciate the replies.

So far I don't think anyone said they went the turbo route. As far as I'm concerned I could care less one way or another as I'm just learning. But what's interesting is that I was speaking with someone prior to posting the thread and they talked about certain advantages that the turbo has and didn't seem to be a big fan of the SC. Something about the belt and stealing HP/energy from the engine to function.

Personally, when I do pull the trigger...which wouldn't be for at least 6 years from now, I would just want whatever is going to be the healthiest for the car, last the longest, and require the least amount of upkeep....plus yield the best HP for the money.

Seems like there are a bunch of different brands. I'm also realizing I have a LOT of learning to do with different vocabulary since reading some of the replies look like a foreign language.

Thanks again!!

-Emt1581

Barrel

Hoonigan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicle(s)
Cars and Trucks
The TT setups intrigue me for sure. Dat torque...

Superman15

Shake n Bake
Threads
Reaction score
First Name
Sam
Vehicle(s)
The twin turbo setups are very nice. And they sound & perform amazing. Much more invasive surgery on the engine for install though. I personally think the sound of the twin turbo is pure sex. Love that sound.
Sponsored